Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 23:09:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW interview info  (Read 11987 times)
pateire

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2009, 17:23:12 »

Hi guys

No sooner do i start posting here just to say hi, the today out of the blue I get a letter asking me to come for a trainee driver assessment and structured interview at Newport on the 2nd June. Plenty of notice anyway Smiley

I applied months ago but was out of luck then so not sure if something changed in the meantime but it's all good to me really.

I have started doing the practice tests that they sent me and also looking for more to do.

Basically I was wondering if there's anyone here who works for FGW (First Great Western) and could give me any kind of insight into the assessment days and interview. I am really not trying to cheat or anything, just get a heads up on how to prepare as best I can.

To be honest I haven't had to do an interview for anyone for at least 10 years so a bit rusty in some ways. Have already done a lot of research on FGW generally and also First Group as a whole but really would love to be ready for whatever is thrown at me on the day.

Worked in travel for the past 21 years but not for the rail industry. Hope I will come across ok on the day anyway.

Oh and base would be Exeter West so maybe there's a reason they're looking for people there.

Right now I must practice with the bop-it for the co-ordination test Smiley

Many thanks in advance for any info that can be shared.

Patrick
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 17:30:02 »

An insight (probably rather out of date now) into the assessment procedure can be found at
http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/driver.html - ignore the bits about wearing glasses being banned. This has not been the case for some years (I suspect it dated from steam days) and in fact the Railway Group Standards now permit the wearing of non-tinted contact lenses as well, provided that they can be shown to be comfortable for a full shift.

The most famous bit that I know about is the Group Bourdon Test. Lots of little groups of dots on a page, you have to mark the groups containing a certain number in a limited time (there are more groups of dots on the page than you could reasonably expect to complete in the time available!)

Good luck!

pateire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 19:47:16 »

many thanks Inspector

plenty to read anyway and I am going to download as much as I can to practice on.

cheers

Patrick
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:02:38 »

try this link.

http://www.railwayregister.care4free.net/becoming_a_train_driver.htm#PSYCHOMETRIC%20TESTING,%20INTERVIEW%20&%20ASSESSMENT
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:03 »

pateire, can I ask where you saw the vacancy for the position?  The reason I ask is that the only Train Driver vacancy for FGW (First Great Western) advertised externally is for drivers who are already qualified.  Trainee drivers has only been advertised internally, so i'm curious as to how you have got this far.  (Note, I have no interest in becoming a driver at this time!)  And of course good luck with the assessment!

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
pateire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 13:26:53 »

Hi there SDA

sure you can ask and its a bit strange to be honest.

About 3 months ago i was looking everywhere on net for driving jobs info - as you say there was nothing on the FGW (First Great Western) website. anyway i did a search in google and at about page 7 there was a link to a UK (United Kingdom) rail magazine website - can't remember the magazine name but in the jobs section there was a link to a company called Barkers - might be a recruitment firm, i really am not sure.

Anyway they had a small website advertising positions for both qualified drivers and trainees at about 5 locations. So I went to the trainee page and had to go into another site and then fill in about 20 pages of info. Luckily i filled it in in just a few days as next time I looked the trainee page had gone and it just said all positions now filled.

A week later I got a letter from FGW saying thanks but we're now full and we will keep you on file till the next intake. Then yesterday I got the A4 envelope with a letter about next assessment at Newport on 2nd June, and practice books and a map of Newport station.

I was very surprised to get this within about 6 weeks of the no thanks letter.

Just found the site with the application pages on:

http://www.abrandnewview.co.uk/default.asp?active_page_id=1623

And as you say, at the time no link whatsoever from the FGW main site. Maybe it was a test to see if you really wanted the job Smiley

Pat
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 16:11:33 »

Glad to see that persistence paid off for you!  If you're lucky enough to get through, I am pleased to announce you will have the pleasure  of my company as I am becoming a guard shortly  Grin  Thinking about it perhaps I better change my Name  Cool

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 16:32:17 »

Glad to see that persistence paid off for you!  If you're lucky enough to get through, I am pleased to announce you will have the pleasure  of my company as I am becoming a guard shortly  Grin  Thinking about it perhaps I better change my Name  Cool

Not at the "donkey sanctuary" I hope  Cheesy
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 18:05:00 »

DM, indeed I shall be on the pride of the fleet  Grin

pateire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 19:01:02 »

Persistence has always been my middle name - never seen the point of doing anything half hearted if it's something you really want to do, which I have for many years.

Congrats on your new job - we may well meet at some stage. Were you already working for FGW (First Great Western) or did you come from outside the industry?

Pat

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 11:45:54 »

It is an internal promotion, there is very little being advertised externally at the moment for obvious reasons, hence the reason I asked how you'd got as assessment.

noddingdonkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:19 »

Not at the "donkey sanctuary" I hope  Cheesy
[/quote]

and what's wrong with the sanctuary? Poor donkeys need a home ...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: