Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:55:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: digby seemed like a good idea!  (Read 7261 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:34:07 »

I'm off to westbury today and as I live in sidmouth and got a lift to the station digby seemed logical, 20 mins after the train was due I find out that it has been cancled now these things happen but as there is no public address and is not staffed would it not be a good idea to have the ticket machine warn you of problems? It's in a penalty zone so apart from season tickets everyone should use it!? Btw I'm now on the bus cries
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:54:34 »

You could have called National Rail or the Operator.

I had a similar situation about a year ago with FGW (First Great Western) at Bruton station. The train was cancelled and the next one wasn't for 2 hours. I contacted national rail enquires who told me to call a taxi to Castle Cary and claim it back from FGW providing I got a receipt. Which I did Grin

Sorry to rub salt into the wounds Relex Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:20:28 »

Sorry to hear that, Rolex123. The sad fact is that when you live near a station like that, as I do in Melksham, you get used to routinely checking whether trains are actually running before you set out, since there's often no way of finding out once you're actually at the station waiting (except as suggested above by phoning up someone, or using the internet on your phone).

I also have to say that my experience of Journey Alert, "a new free service where we will text or email you if there are any cancellations, alterations or route disruptions with your First Great Western train", has also not been that brilliant either during the past 8 months or so that I've been signed up to it. Every day I get emailed an identical message saying there are no disruptions reported on my registered route (to and from Melksham), and yet all too often I have subsequently heard there's been delays and cancellations.

(both my son and my daughter used to commute by train daily from Melksham, which is why I signed up to the alerts, but as they now respectively get the bus and drive to their eventual destinations due to the fact that the timings of the trains from Melksham render them unusable for commuters, my interest now is merely academic, apart from the two or three times a month when I get the train myself)
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52:00 »

Digby is not in a penalty fare zone.(yet). The signs are up, but it cannot be enforced. Huh
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 13:05:32 »

In common with all FGW (First Great Western) stations outside the Thames Valley I think - certainly they can't be enforced in the Bristol area yet, despite the profusion of threatening yellow notices at stations. The ones at Keynsham just seem to cause confusion, since both S&B ticket machines have been removed (apparently permanently) due to vandalism.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 15:00:26 »

Digby is not in a penalty fare zone.(yet). The signs are up, but it cannot be enforced. Huh

OK Digby? Wo ist das?

I've found a shut one on the Lincoln  - Sleaford GN - GE joint!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 15:43:58 »

Digby and Sowton I am guessing: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/DIG.html
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 15:44:48 »

OK Digby? Wo ist das?

There's some information about Digby & Sowton (to give it its full name) in the "Station Comparator" link at the top of this forum, 8f mate

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/smr/DIG.html

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 17:09:38 »

ok im back home now  Smiley apart from the missing the early connection and having to wait for an hour and the bus ( the replacement coach was full) it was actually a good journey! got a seat with no problem the traveling chef was onboard!  and ran to time, just to clear things up i have the network rail application for my iphone which i checked upon leaving sidmouth all was ok ten mins after the train was suppost to arrive i rechecked the app and it noted that the train was canceled but the exmouth bound train was still running so i was going to pass the time by running up and down on that however this one was also canceled but was still on the system further more the next train to exeter was also listed as running... how can it be if the exmouth bound train would later form this service, turns out there was some kind of obstruction on the line so services were not running anyway... this i found out from the taxi company when i rang them out of desperation.. i realise i could have phoned the number however what if i lived in digby and traveled to work in say crediton on that train every day, would i have to phone the number every day? sorry guys im just going off on one now so will finish off the public address situation at stations on the advocate line... interesting things that happened today ... a class 142 at central to paignton with the rare ''so many seats to chose from'' exeter st davids seemed dead... it was so quiet! ive never been there at 9 in the morning before is this normal? there is a new class 150 now at the yard dont know where its going to be used? any ideas... last thing i also saw a class 47 at westbury with a rake and the taunton- cardiff lhs at taunton...funny how i have read about all of these things in this forum and never seen any of them until today.... im hungry tea time  Smiley Cheesy
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 18:32:48 »

Digby & Sowton (to give it its full name)

Named (partly) after Digby Hospital -http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=290&page=17 - which was formerly the Exeter Mental Asylum.

Not that there was any particular reason for pointing that out, though...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 18:42:54 »

Digby & Sowton (to give it its full name)

Named (partly) after Digby Hospital -http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=290&page=17 - which was formerly the Exeter Mental Asylum.

Not that there was any particular reason for pointing that out, though...

what a nice man you are  Cheesy
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 22:04:49 »

OK Digby? Wo ist das?

There's some information about Digby & Sowton (to give it its full name) in the "Station Comparator" link at the top of this forum, 8f mate

Thanks for info. How new is it? It's not in my 1992 Baker, but a look in my 2002 Complete List of Station Names does show it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 22:27:53 »

From wikipedia:

Digby and Sowton railway station is the most recently opened railway station on the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line in Devon, opening 23 May 1994.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 22:28:10 »

OK Digby? Wo ist das?

Thanks for info. How new is it? It's not in my 1992 Baker, but a look in my 2002 Complete List of Station Names does show it.

1994 i belive
Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:08:46 »

Hi

Digby & Sowton is also closest station for those of us in the North Devon area, to get to /from Exeter "International" airport by rail, albeit the final leg by pre-booked taxi.

Now if FGW (First Great Western) pushed for the next passing loop at Cranbrook ....... re-open station, shuttle etc would be possible.... anything not to have to use their "airport bus-link" from EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).

Fecks

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: