Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:16:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[71] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[52] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[38] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[30] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[28] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 391466 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 14:47:00 »

The traveling chef does a lot more than toasties, and if you are in 1st it is served on a plate with cutlery at seat. I don't know where you get the idea it's not (oh hang on, I just noticed, it's opinion, not facts you are dealing in  Roll Eyes )

Hmmm. Last time I ordered a bacon and egg buttie it came in a polystyrene container with a plastic fork - certainly not a proper plate and some way from what I'd consider a full set of "cutlery"

I've also more than once witnessed "customer hosts" sending passengers to the buffet to order themselves, particularly at busy times, which hardly counts as at seat service.

As it happens I travel First Class at least once a week and have done for over a decade, so I for one at least am dealing here with facts rather than opinion.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 15:26:20 »

The last two times I used the travelling chef service in first class, no at seat service was offered, the only hot food was toasted sandwiches, served in a cardboard box.
I appreciate that this is not allways the case, but it does happen frequently.

I once got a decent steak sandwich, served on a plate at the table, however the usual traveling chef service appears to be what used to be called a hot buffet.
Nothing like a proper Pullman restaurant.

And when table service is provided, orders appear to be taken only one or two at a time, with no more taken until these have been served.
If say a dozen customers want a snack, the last ones wait an hour.
When a proper restaurant is provided, 20 or more orders are taken at once, and served more or less together, suprisingly quickly with an experienced team, and almost allways to a very high standard.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 18:04:47 »

I heard from a reliable source that the Friday wine thing had gone, and also confirm the reasons about people taking cans of coke etc away with them as the reason why they've gone.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 18:16:20 »

I heard from a reliable source that the Friday wine thing had gone, and also confirm the reasons about people taking cans of coke etc away with them as the reason why they've gone.

Very simple solution, customer hosts hands over can of coke, and pops the top at the same time

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 18:54:28 »

Must admit, i've done that before, however the trolley failed to show between Plymouth and Tiverton, where I wished to alight...
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:34 »

And sometimes at seat service is somewhat lacking - take this morning

On the train at WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) - "two waters and some ice please."  The usual, I'll get the ice next time I'm in the buffet.  No worries.

By honeybourne, trolley passes down again - "any idea where the ice is?"  - I'm busy I'll get it later

By Charlbury - "you know I'd really like to drink these before I get to Reading, have you found the ice yet?"

Comes back from buffet - "I'm sorry, all the ice has melted"

He didnt react well when I suggested had he got it over an hour ago when first asked it might still be semi solid.  His excuse was, he was busy - 1st class was only 1/2 full until oxford!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:58:06 »

I travelled XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) a couple of months back, I placed an order for a cup of tea... 30 minutes later... No Cup of Tea Angry

Infact, had it not have been for the fact the toilets in FC(resolve) weren't working which resulted in me walking through the TCC to get to one, I probably wouldn't have got the tea at all! Fortunately on my return to FC, a tea was waiting for me in the TCC Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 15:07:18 »

As regards the above, I'm not going to defend laziness.  I know how it should be done, and how I wouls do it. I'm not going to defend sloppy, lazy staff, as they give the good staff a bad name. All I can say is, if you are not happy with the service in 1st class, complain to the company - no point in taking it out on the TM(resolve) or the CH.  Eventualy, if the same names or routes figure often enough, certain people will have to justify their performance, both CHs and their managers. 

Some CH's are great, some are a waste of oxygen (bit like passengers really!  Tongue)

I do not think I have ever taken anything out on the CH or TM - the tone got lost in the typing.

It was not said angrily more sardonically - sadly I do not think the CH had the wit to work out what I meant.

And I have complained to the TC(resolve)

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 18:10:39 »

As regards the above, I'm not going to defend laziness.  I know how it should be done, and how I wouls do it. I'm not going to defend sloppy, lazy staff, as they give the good staff a bad name. All I can say is, if you are not happy with the service in 1st class, complain to the company - no point in taking it out on the TM(resolve) or the CH.  Eventualy, if the same names or routes figure often enough, certain people will have to justify their performance, both CHs and their managers. 

I agree 100% with that, Normally I get an absolutely fantastic service from the CH's and TM's. Some of them even remember how I like my drink, which IMO (in my opinion) is exceptional customer service, bearing in mind the amount of pax they serve on a daily basis!

I personally have never taken my temper out on a staff member for a delay or similar, Having a go or shouting at people doesn't solve anything. It's not like it's the staff members fault...?!

Some CH's are great, some are a waste of oxygen (bit like passengers really!  Tongue)

Grin Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 20:33:44 »

Back to the original subject, gave feedback to the On Board Services Manager today as I prepared to alight at Swindon. Said how disappointed I was at the removal of cans and asked why. Simple answer - financial. No mention of people taking too many.

She neatly moved the conversation around to what I thought of the rest of the changes, to which I replied that I was really disappointed that Burts crisps had been replaced by the fiery salt and black pepper ones that leave a taste in your mouth long after you've left the train. She admitted there was divided opinion on those (ie most people hate them, which is what a couple of CH's told me) . Maybe, by having less popular one, they'll give out fewer, thus saving even more money.

Ironically, in the latest on board magazine, there's a full page advert for Burt's crisps, highlighting the range that is no longer available in the buffet, since they've also been replaced by the new make. How's that for planning. You can just imagine it."Will you advertise in our magazine?" "Oh go on then". Next week,"Sorry, thanks for the advert, we've dumped you."

Hope Burts got their money back.   

woody

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 20:54:52 »

Heard from sources within FGW (First Great Western) that the standard Weekend First upgrade is to replaced by a tariff based on distance similar to Crosscountry.ie starting from ^25 Penzance/Paddington reducing with distance.Any truth in it.
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 21:17:50 »

Yes, they have also changed the way the staff upgrade system is structured.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 21:47:44 »

I'm glad that the Pullmans are going, it takes up to 5 staff to run and it runs at a major loss! a couple of months back the down "Hind" was short formed with no coach "H", an unfortunate situation, however, the Restaurant was still laid up and people with first class tickets in "F" who did not want to eat were asked to move to standard as the FC(resolve) was full, so in the end there were STANDARD passengers sat in "F" who wanted food and freeloaded their way to Cornwall long after the restaurant had finished and First class passengers sat in "E"! The new travelling chef menu is far more appertizing and cheap!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 23:08:53 »

I'm glad that the Pullmans are going, it takes up to 5 staff to run and it runs at a major loss! a couple of months back the down "Hind" was short formed with no coach "H", an unfortunate situation, however, the Restaurant was still laid up and people with first class tickets in "F" who did not want to eat were asked to move to standard as the FC(resolve) was full, so in the end there were STANDARD passengers sat in "F" who wanted food and freeloaded their way to Cornwall long after the restaurant had finished and First class passengers sat in "E"! The new travelling chef menu is far more appertizing and cheap!

So how do Virgin manage it

willc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 00:57:11 »

By only serving at-seat food to first class passengers, and including it in the ticket price. Since Pendolinos arrived, standard class can only get buffet food, not a sit-down meal.

And I don't think anyone has ever made much money out of on-train catering. If the service covers its direct costs, that's seen as about the best you can expect. It's usually just regarded as part of providing a good customer experience. For the time being, at least in first class, Virgin still see it that way - like an airline meal. National Express clearly don't, or believe it was costing them too much and FGW (First Great Western)'s decision is probably common sense, if these two West Country trains account for the overwhelming share of the full-service meals they were selling.

For the rest of its commuterised network, Travelling Chef looks a better bet. Just hope that they actually get the promotion of it right at long last, after several years of pretty half-hearted efforts.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: