09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 08:58:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393374 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: November 08, 2014, 13:32:57 »

To return to first class travel in general, IMHO (in my humble opinion) NO discounted tickets should be sold for services that are regularly overcrowded. Since the downgrade of first class, I have regularly seen the "Golden Hind" with standing in first, yet AFAIK (as far as I know) discounted tickets are still sold for this service.

Indeed, looking at Friday 23rd Jan there are standard class seats available to Taunton at ^49.40 on the 1733 and 1803 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), and 1st class at ^92.80, somewhat less than the standard anytime fare of ^113. Just seems mad if those trains are going to be heavily overcrowded.

With a long distance train it is not much good if it is packed for the first 35 miles then empty for the other 250! Offering advance fares to Taunton may therefore make commercial sense. Offering advance fares to Reading would not. 
John R

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 08, 2014, 13:47:07 »

That's a good point, although I don't believe advance tickets are sold between London and Reading.

Your point highlights the problem, well documented here, of managing traffic flows on a service that goes 300 miles but is potentially chronically overcrowded on the first 36 of those.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #782 on: November 08, 2014, 14:38:12 »

The proper solution, if ever it could be achieved, would be to offload those travelling those 36 onto other services....
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:35 »

With Crossrail I think this is inevitable in due course, if HEx even survives at all. Why would you want to pay a premium fare to change at Paddington onto the tube or a taxi when you can get a through train to the West End, Ciy and Canary Wharf. People will vote with their feet, and I suspect the owners of HEx are already working out the optimal exit strategy. Digressing a little from 1st Class etc, but fundamental to the GW (Great Western) main line into the next decade.   

True it is digressing a little but had this happened a while ago would we now be discussing the reduction of First Class??
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 10, 2014, 11:58:55 »

Shouldn't someone also be reminding Reading commuters what a good deal pence per mile they're getting in comparison? :-)

I will contemplate that thought the next time I am waiting for a train which has been cancelled/delayed/short formed due to one of the seemingly bottomless pits of excuses that are used for the recent/current/ongoing poor service and I am sure that reminding myself what a "good deal" I'm getting will give me a warm glow as I stand on an overcrowded platform in the freezing cold!  Grin Roll Eyes
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #785 on: November 10, 2014, 12:10:15 »

I'm sorry, but the new platforms at REading are designed for this number of commuters now & can't be described sincerely as 'overcrowded'. The trains, yes of course, but not the platforms - there's acres of space for them.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:39 »

I'm sorry, but the new platforms at REading are designed for this number of commuters now & can't be described sincerely as 'overcrowded'. The trains, yes of course, but not the platforms - there's acres of space for them.

That's a fair point - I will count my blessings as I stand on a spacious platform in the freezing cold waiting for a delayed, overcrowded, cancelled, shortformed train  Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2014, 22:39:09 »

With Crossrail I think this is inevitable in due course, if HEx even survives at all. Why would you want to pay a premium fare to change at Paddington onto the tube or a taxi when you can get a through train to the West End, Ciy and Canary Wharf. People will vote with their feet, and I suspect the owners of HEx are already working out the optimal exit strategy. Digressing a little from 1st Class etc, but fundamental to the GW (Great Western) main line into the next decade.   

True it is digressing a little but had this happened a while ago would we now be discussing the reduction of First Class??

As that very interesting 'digression' in this discussion subsequently took on a whole life of its own, it has now been split off into a new topic, on a new board created for the purpose: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14898.0  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 20, 2014, 07:15:51 »

After finding no available first class seats on todays 7.08, as is regular these days, I thought I'd wander back into standard rather than standing for my journey.
What did I find? Acres of seats. There must be 15 unoccupied seats even after maidenhead. And this is coach K at the front, not the back.

What an absolute joke.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:29 »

I took the very last seat at Reading in 1st today on http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40587/2014/11/20/advanced
It was the new 1.5 carriage configuration.
Is it relatively easy to reclaim the difference under the passenger charter ?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 20, 2014, 09:13:51 »

It weasn't even  a 1.5, just a 1 carriage First.

This template works for me... ^350 in refunds this year and counting.  Always write in, never email, as its easier for them to say no by email.

Customer Services Team
First Great Western
FREEPOST SWB40576
Plymouth
PL4 6ZZ

Ticket Ref  2053****
Photocard ID   CLR****

Dear Sir / Madam,

Due to the reduction in seating capacity and resultant overcrowding no seating was available in First Class on the following services from Maidenhead to Paddington.  Under section 5 of the FGW (First Great Western) Passenger^s Charter I wish to claim compensation for this:

The trains were:

Monday 10th November ^ 07.08

Yours faithfully....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:06 »

I have recently moved to the West country and therefore am not travelling as much as in the past.
I have however had to stand twice despite having paid the first class fare.
Compensation took ages to arrive but was paid without argument. For one journey they refunded the WHOLE of the first class fare, rather than the difference between First and steerage.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:14 »

I have recently moved to the West country and therefore am not travelling as much as in the past.
I have however had to stand twice despite having paid the first class fare.
Compensation took ages to arrive but was paid without argument. For one journey they refunded the WHOLE of the first class fare, rather than the difference between First and steerage.

That's been my experience too - tends to be refunded in full without question, also despite all the guff about not paying out in respect of "consequential losses", having taken the trouble to write in on several occasions I have had a number of fairly hefty taxi journeys refunded by FGW (First Great Western) which were incurred during the recent weeks when everything has fallen over...............interestingly though (as a season ticket holder)I'm still waiting for the mythical letter re: the void day refunds as are loads of people from what I hear!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #793 on: November 20, 2014, 15:07:24 »

No requirement to pay consequential loss - of course, discretionary payments can always be made, whichever company you complain to!

Are you sure that void was actually confirmed?....it would appear on the period punctuality poster (and I didn't see it)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 20, 2014, 15:15:39 »

Yep - here it is :

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Customer-services/Refunds

Five void days were declared for each charter group from 10 to 14 February 2014 inclusive.
One void day was declared for each charter group 06 October 2014.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: