Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:34:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393350 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 24, 2015, 13:07:37 »

What's that saying?
"You can't please all of the people..."

But the most vocal get what the most vocal want.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 10, 2015, 22:43:59 »

Just a word of warning regarding First Class availability on services in and around the Bristol / Bath Spa / Westbury area. With regards to the improvement works at Bath Spa and the mass changes to the timetable; It appears there has become an assumption that Class 15x Trains have miraculously grown First Class seating...

For some reason several trains are showing as having First Class Accommodation and also appear in the Online Journey Planners as having such accommodation too. Yet when the train turns up you actually get a unit of Class 15x type. Which of course does not have First Class seating.

The way would check is to put the time of the train into realtimetrains.co.uk and then select more detail as shown here:

This will bring up the below information. You are looking for the "Pathed as:" information. As shown below, this train is advertised as having First and Standard Class seating. But the "Pathed as:" information shows as running as a Class 150/153/155/156 Unit - which of course will not have the First Class seating.

If you find yourself on one of these phantom First Class seating trains; I would advise contacting FGW (First Great Western) and raising a compensation request under condition 38 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage:

38. Travelling in standard class accommodation with a first class ticket
If you have a first class ticket (or the equivalent) and the first class accommodation (or the equivalent) shown in the National Rail Timetable is not available in any train you travel in, you may claim a refund of the difference in price between the first class and the standard class ticket for the relevant part of your journey.

As said earlier in the post, these trains ARE in the National Rail Timetable as having First Class seating.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46427.aspx

Grin Grin Grin Grin
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:38 »

Sorry to question your logic a bit.  'Pathed As' means the 'point to point' timings allocated to the service not the particular type of train unit allocated to the service.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2015, 12:52:06 »

Sorry to question your logic a bit.  'Pathed As' means the 'point to point' timings allocated to the service not the particular type of train unit allocated to the service.

This is correct, its purely for timing reasons rather than what stock is to be used, for example all the London Birmingham Chiltern services are pathed as 158s, yet they use 168s and Class 68/Mk3s
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 14, 2015, 18:26:43 »

Thank you both.

I had always misunderstood that for 2 reasons.

1) The "Pathed As" always showed which trains on the GreaterAnglia Norwich services were EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) vs. Class 90+Mk3

2) The Weymouth Wizard train shows as being "Pathed as" a HST (High Speed Train) Service instead of the timings of Class 150 etc. The timings I believe are almost identical to when this is run by a unit.

Hope that clears up the logic I was using. Thanks for the correction however Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:51 »

Moving the conversation over to the Thames Valley local services ^ for those that haven^t been following the Rebrands thread the new 6th September timetable is being quietly rolled out that shows the almost complete removal of first class on all but the morning and evening semi-fasts:

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/train-times-and-tickets/train-times/from-17-may-2015

I find the level of stealth here astonishing.  When HST (High Speed Train) reductions were rolled-out they were hailed as an increase in standard accommodation with the finger pointed towards the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).  This step change in service commitment is almost secret ^ certainly most silent.  I look forward to a press release from FGW (First Great Western) regarding their commitment and compensation for first class season ticket holders ^ and the level of price reduction of a first class ticket since part of a TV to London commute is likely to be in standard only trains.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #936 on: August 24, 2015, 11:54:57 »

I doubt there will be any - posters at stations affected possibly.

Those with 1st class seasons are being contacted individually & offered various options, all of which seem fair to me.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 24, 2015, 19:33:08 »

Those with 1st class seasons are being contacted individually & offered various options, all of which seem fair to me.

Could you elaborate on that please?

I'm at a loss as to why some of these trains between 09:00 - 20:00 for arguments sake don't have First Class seating, yet trains at 00:00 - 05:00 are advertised as having First Class.

Playing devils advocate, I strongly doubt that will be at all policed in any way. Looking at the amount of Gatecrashers in First Class on late night services in Essex... It just doesn't make sense.

Throw into that the various staff on FGW (First Great Western) and SWT (South West Trains) services who openly say "don't buy First Class tickets for trains X, Y and Z late at night as it's not checked. Just offer to pay if it's checked."

Considering the amount of posters saying "Buy before you board" I find such advise dangerous and distasteful... You can't win Sad

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #938 on: August 24, 2015, 20:05:29 »

To save me typing out the whole piece, can you elaborate on which services you are referring to, bearing in mind I'm referring to 1st class *season* holders
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 24, 2015, 22:24:30 »

Sure, You mentioned that all 1st Class season ticket holders affected are to be contacted and various options given. Concluding with "all of which seem fair"

Forgive me if I've taken that too literally; but that suggests you know what these various options are... Can you elaborate as to what they are?

Thanks Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #940 on: August 24, 2015, 22:45:01 »

Sure, but it'll be tomorrow.

You might get your letter if you're a 1st class season holder too
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 25, 2015, 11:54:20 »

If it's any kind of data point, I was given a cheque by way of compenasation when first class was withdrawn from the Reading to Basingstoke line.
From speaking with other first class season ticket holders whose tickets included some or all of that line it appeared to be related to how long the season ticket had left to run.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 25, 2015, 13:22:24 »

Officially, I know nothing about this withdrawal. Only from gossip on here and now checking the forward timetables.

No letter for me yet - no information at the station. I've just checked and I can buy right now a 1st class annual season ticket on-line for travel between TV local station and London Terminals with no indication the that 364 day service I have contracted for is to be withdrawn in less that a fortnight. If this was the natural resources industry (my profession), Council would be receiving instructions.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 13:28:02 by Oxonhutch » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #943 on: August 25, 2015, 15:06:40 »

Sure, but it'll be tomorrow.

Sorry, been too busy to dig this out today - I'll try again tomorrow
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #944 on: August 28, 2015, 00:46:51 »

... Council would be receiving instructions.

Counsel, possibly, Oxonhutch Wink - but I do share your ... err, astonishment that such annual tickets are still apparently being sold online! Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: