Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:14:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local businessman proposes ^1m 'Cardiff Parkway'  (Read 10045 times)
IanC

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 18:30:42 »

Taken from Today's South Wales Echo:-

Quote from: SW Echo
A NEW station, 3,500 parking places and a 130-acre business park costing up to ^1bn could be built at St Mellons.

The station, dubbed the Cardiff Hub, would be built east of St Mellons and would replicate Parkways in Bristol and Didcot, serving thousands of commuters from across South Wales. As well as 3,500 car-parking spaces, the proposed development would include a bus station, check-in points for Cardiff and Heathrow airports, a cycle park and a business park, according to businessman Nigel Roberts, who is behind the scheme. Mr Roberts, who owns Paramount Office Interiors, believes the ambitious project would create hundreds of jobs and give people living in areas of high unemployment better access to work in the city.

He said: "This has the potential to attract overseas business and could really turn around some of South Wales^ most deprived areas. It would ease congestion in Cardiff and move people on to public transport, which are all things the Welsh Assembly Government is trying to encourage. Initially it might be more of a local service but eventually we would like to provide trains right through to London. It even has the potential to replace Newport and Cardiff stations as the main transport hub for Wales".

Mr Roberts is at the head of a consortium of businesses discussing the plans and says he already has options on 130 acres of land for the site. The plans for the Hub were drawn up by WS Atkins, the design and engineering giant behind some of the world^s most iconic new buildings, including the sail-like Burj Al Arab in Dubai, the world^s tallest hotel.

Mr Roberts explained: "We want to work with ambition in terms of architecture and landscaping. In terms of planning, this started three and a half years ago. We don^t need to knock a building down or relocate anybody and the railway line is obviously already there. We^ve spoken to all the landowners and they have been very supportive. We^ve also spoken to leading politicians, to Rhodri Morgan and Ieuan Wyn Jones, Jane Davidson and various people at the council. They are all supportive of it and want us to prove we can do it, so we^re currently gaining all the evidence for the economic and environmental case. You are going to be talking between ^600m and ^1bn in terms of cost and we have ambitions to open in 24 months".

The station and business park would be built on the Cardiff side of the Newport-Cardiff county border, south-east of St Mellons. It would spread across the northern and southern sides of the railway line, providing a station mid-way between the two cities. According to Mr Roberts, it would include two million sq ft of office space, a piazza, a hotel, shops and cafes for office workers.

Mr Roberts added: "The business park would be exemplar. It would be like nothing that we have seen in the UK (United Kingdom). It would create its own energy and get rid of its own waste. We are looking at all the latest technology. We are also looking at having a check-in for Cardiff Airport and Heathrow. You could turn up here, park your car, get on a train and be at Cardiff airport in 15 minutes".

Coun Geraldine Grant, the Liberal Democrat councillor for the ward, said she had already seen the plans but insisted it would take at least five years to happen.

She said: ^At this stage it would be something I would welcome because it opens up possibilities for new business which would be greatly helped by a St Mellons station. It will be looked at along with all the other proposals. But there have been changes, not least with the economy of course, so you don^t really know".

Labour councillor Ralph Cook added: "It is some years away from a decision. I^ve long held a desire to see a railway line with a station there. I^m a naturalist so I am aware of the environmental issues but I think the economic advantages outweigh the relatively small environmental impact it would have".

An Assembly Government spokesman said it supported ^in principle this type of development^.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 19:16:55 »

Cardiff Central and Newport are both well placed for the city centres and most people arrivng don't want to have to sit on a scabby bus!

Stupid idea.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 19:28:27 »

Cardiff Central and Newport are both well placed for the city centres and most people arrivng don't want to have to sit on a scabby bus!

Stupid idea.

plus you walk out of cardiff central station and you are greated with a bus station whats the point in building this they already have it! i mean yes it would create jobs! but couldnt this be done alot cheaper by just building a carpark with a park and ride to cardiff central?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 19:55:20 »

Not another "Hub"!  Roll Eyes

How can he say a parkway station encourages use of public transport like buses? Doesn't he know what a PARKway station is? Roll Eyes

And how would this checking in for Heathrow airport work? I can think of many reasons (including: security/bombs etc; lack of areas on trains to put checked in luggage separate to the main guard's van; dwell times at station increasing; people having to turn up at the station ages before, luggage having to be transferred to the HX or the RailAir coach with getting lost.....) why this would not happen!

It would make FGW (First Great Western) expresses slower.

It would encourage green belt development.

It is a bad idea.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 20:08:47 »

he can build a ''park way at tavistock if he wants  Cheesy
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 20:18:02 »

Hmmm. Whilst I have always thought that a station somewhere between Cardiff and Newport would be a good idea (and I went to school in the area, so I do understand the geography), this strikes me as cloud cuckoo land.

As an example, " You could turn up here, park your car, and be in Cardiff Airport in 15 minutes".
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 20:40:11 »

Quote from:  John R
As an example, " You could turn up here, park your car, and be in Cardiff Airport in 15 minutes".

John R is right.  I detect aerobatic pigs.

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) timetables Cardiff Central to Rhoose (the airport station) at 30 minutes and then there's a bus to the airport terminal.  Adding 6 miles to the journey cuts the time by half?  I think not.

The area between Cardiff and Newport is "No Man's Land".  Getting there rather than to Cardiff Central or Newport is no more convenient unless you already live there.  On the Cardiff side, you either go east on the M4 and turn back or go most of the way into the city and use Eastern Avenue or rat runs to the A48.  From the Newport side it's north and via the congested M4 or using the old A48.  Fiddly.

Then of course there'd be pathway issues in stopping every HST (High Speed Train).  The main line is 4 tracks so would need 4 platforms.  If it's only the local services on the relief lines which stop you'd have to change at Cardiff/Newport to get on the HSTs.  If you had to do that, it would be more convenient for most in the area to park and ride from the Vale/Barry/the Valleys into Cardiff Central.

I can't see it myself.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 21:06:08 »

investing money into a railway project which is destined to fail will just reduce the chances of decent and needed projects!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 21:59:42 »

And it would probably be nearer 1 billion by the time it gets built!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 00:26:30 »

Pretty poor use of money/an idea if i'm honest.

Being a cardiff resident, theres absolutely nothing wrong with the station we have now...

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 02:06:24 »

Pretty poor use of money/an idea if i'm honest.

Being a cardiff resident, theres absolutely nothing wrong with the station we have now...

agreed.. was there yesterday its in town its near the bus station for local links and great for the shops pubs even cinema, lots of local and national trains the station is clean and tidy decent facilitys why is money always thrown at things that are not needed and held from needed improvements?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: