14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:32:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A matter of politeness?  (Read 18833 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 01, 2009, 21:26:57 »

On my way home this evening, I nearly ran into this huge poster, at the top of the stairs to platform 8 at Bristol Temple Meads:

Now, that's described as a 'polite notice': in what circumstances would FGW (First Great Western) display an 'impolite notice' - or even a 'downright rude notice'?   Huh Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 21:31:49 »

Nice touch  Cheesy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 23:12:13 »

"Polite notice" is a tromp l'oeil (paging TerminalJunkie, bet I've spelt that wrong...) that is generally employed on white text on a blue ground in an attempt to fool a very quick reader into thinking it says "Police notice".

Looks like someone in FGW (First Great Western)'s publicity department is getting a bit confused. I'd have thought that poster fell squarely within the remit of a "Special Notice". Presumably an "impolite" notice would advise the reader to "use the f*@$ing stairs behind them and not come complaining to station staff!"  Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 23:16:20 »

The poster is ruined by the word "customer". It sends out the wrong signal to the PASSENGERS - no matter how "polite" the notice is.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 23:23:13 »

The poster is ruined by the word "customer". It sends out the wrong signal to the PASSENGERS - no matter how "polite" the notice is.

Hardly the end of the world.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 23:43:29 »

Hardly the end of the world.

Actually no - there is a difference between customer and passenger

And in the way the customer and passenger perceive themselves vis a vis the service provider

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 10:04:37 »

With the amount of money that is required to buy a ticket nowadays, shouldn't that be "stakeholder" ?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 16:31:45 »

No - it's not the end of the world.

But it sends out the wrong message. Using the word "customer" shows that the TOC (Train Operating Company) regard their passengers merely as people to line their pockets.

It should not be like this. When LM (London Midland - recent franchise) took over from Central Trains, customers became passengers again, much to the delight of Passenger User Groups.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 23:49:21 »

Like it or not, "customer" is the standard term for passenger, adopted by British Rail way back when and now almost universally applied by the TOCs (Train Operating Company) (in much the same way as the word "signaller" has replaced "signalman", and the 24-hour clock has replaced the traditional am/pm). These words are standard terminology on the modern railway system and so cannot be regarded as incorrect just because they're different from the words that were in use 50 years ago. Things change, in many cases for the better. The world moves on.

You're also reading rather too much into the word customer vs passenger. The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) defines customer as "a person who buys goods or services from a shop or business", a passenger as "a traveller in a public or private conveyance (other than the driver, pilot, crew etc.)". Given that a passenger is buying a service (travel) from a business (the train company), the words customer and passenger are both fully applicable and it is incorrect to suggest that either is wrong.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 23:56:40 »

But it sends out the wrong message. Using the word "customer" shows that the TOC (Train Operating Company) regard their passengers merely as people to line their pockets.

It should not be like this. When LM (London Midland - recent franchise) took over from Central Trains, customers became passengers again, much to the delight of Passenger User Groups.

Funnily enough - if im referred to as a customer I would demand a better standard of service than if I was a passenger

Passenger implies I am hitching a ride

Customer implies I am choosing to give you my business and therefore want respect not be treated as fodder.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 00:04:43 »

There used to be (still is?) an "abrupt" bordering on "impolite" notice on the door to the station office at Worcester Foregate street.  It said something like "you can knock, but we're probably too busy to take any notice"!!!
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 18:18:09 »

Funnily enough - if im referred to as a customer I would demand a better standard of service than if I was a passenger

Passenger implies I am hitching a ride

Customer implies I am choosing to give you my business and therefore want respect not be treated as fodder.

I agree with mookiemoo !!!! yes it does happen.

The word passenger implies no choice and the word customer implies choice.

Whilst many people dont have a choice as to which TOC they travel with or at what time, being treated by train crew as if you DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) have the choice tomorrow with whom to travel with might make some realise what is needed to make people feel valued and wanted on board.

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 19:56:41 »

I take the view that a customer has bought valid ticket, a passenger has not!  Tongue

I dont think you would be alone in that thought process flamingo

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 21:00:22 »

I take the view that a customer has bought valid ticket, a passenger has not!  Tongue

Hmmm.

Strictly speaking, my employer normally buys the ticket on which I travel, therefore I consider myself to be a passenger on the network rather than a customer.

I still expect and, I think, deserve, exactly the same treatment however.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:08 »

With the amount of money that is required to buy a ticket nowadays, shouldn't that be "stakeholder" ?

With the cost of Open tickets it's not "sakeholder" but more "VICTIM of a MUGGING"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: