Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:26:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Car parking at Kemble railway station  (Read 100330 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2007, 15:46:00 »

See link below.
http://firstlatewestern.blogspot.com/2007/07/question-of-priorities.html

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 21:14:13 »

Greetings, will be spending a few days in the Cotswolds, may catch a train to London from Kemble, does anyone know how much a day parking ticket is and is there sufficient parking around?  Thanks  Smiley

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 21:23:06 »

Just don't park in the breaker's yard up the road ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 21:25:02 »

220 spaces at Kemble Station - see http://www.apcoa.co.uk/carparks/kemble-station for details of charges.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 21:26:16 »

At the station the car park will cost you ^3.20 for the day from the ticket machine. Or ^2.80 via Apcoa Connect.

336 spaces according to FGW (First Great Western).

Others will no doubt know whether that car park fills regularly.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 21:27:35 »

Cheaper than the ^10/day at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) !  Bargain  Smiley

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 21:29:01 »

220 spaces according to National Rail - see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/kem/details.html  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 21:46:11 »

Wifey can count them while I get "Apcoa connect" to work  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 22:02:25 »

Good one, Donkey Guard!  Wink Cheesy Grin

I'm by no means a frequent visitor to Kemble Station, but from my very limited experience, I'd suggest that the total number of spaces is probably nearer 336 than 220 - but they are generally full during the day.  However, I don't know how early in the day they get filled.

Hope this helps.  Tongue

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 15:12:15 »

From the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard:

Residents in Kemble take action over problem parkers

Problems caused by rail users parking all day in a Gloucestershire village and clogging up the roads is being tackled head-on.

Kemble Parish Council has been concerned for some time about commuters driving into the village to use the rail station and, rather than paying to use the train station car park, parking for free on the residential roads.

Reports have been made of some cars being left in the village for up to two weeks, causing obstructions on the roads.

At a recent meeting of the Parish Council, chairman Cllr Roger Pettit said there were a number of possibilities the council could explore to relieve the problem, such as setting up a new low-cost car park near the station.

^I think its incumbent on us to explore options further,^ he said. ^We are not enthusiastic about yellow lines in the village ^ I^d like to think there may be other options.^

He added he hoped residents would co-operate with the council in finding a solution to the problem.

^If residents are so upset then they may be prepared to make a contribution via a council tax levy for example,^ he said.

Cllr Gabi Somerville said she felt that, even if a low-cost car park was provided, many commuters would continue to park on the road.

^The street is free and if it^s closer to the station they they^re going to park there,^ she said.

She added an option may be to enforce residents-only parking restrictions throughout the village.

The council agreed to set up a working group to work with Gloucestershire County Council^s highways department to find a solution to the problem.

GCC local highways manager for Kemble Scott MaCaulay-Lowe said the council was working with Kemble Parish Council to address the problem and would be meeting with them soon to discuss it.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 21:06:45 »

From the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard:

Standard launches petition for more car parking spaces at Kemble railway station

The car park at Kemble which is often at capacity

For years, commuters using Kemble rail station have struggled to find a space in the car park at peak times because there are simply not enough to meet demand.

As a result, commuters are parking in streets near the station, causing congestion and road safety issues. And with thousands of new homes set to be built across the Cotswolds in the next few years, parking at the station will become an even bigger problem.

After being contacted again and again by people who are fed up with the situation, the Standard has launched a petition demanding action.

There are currently 220 spaces in the car park, and it is generally felt that around 100 more would be sufficient.

Supported by Cotswold MP (Member of Parliament) Geoffrey Clifton-Brown and Cotswold District Council leader Cllr Lynden Stowe, our petition calls for First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) to create more parking spaces.

But to make this happen, we need you to sign the petition too, and the deadline is Saturday February 28.

You can add your signature at change.org/p/first-great-western-create-more-parking-spaces-at-kemble-rail-station A hard copy of the petition will be available at Kemble post office in Windmill Road, near the station. Once all the signatures are in, Mr Clifton-Brown will hand the petition to FGW, which is responsible for the car park, and raise the issue in Parliament.

Mr Clifton-Brown, who has been campaigning for more car parking spaces at the station for years, said: ^I will continue to press First Great Western, Network Rail and the government on this, and other issues relating to Kemble station.^ Mr Clifton-Brown has raised the issue with MP Claire Perry, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Transport.

He said: ^She has responded by saying that First Great Western have presented plans for an additional 2,500 car park spaces across the entire franchise. I have asked her to provide some more specific information about this when it is available.^

Cllr Stowe is equally determined to see the petition succeed. ^Anything we can we can do to increase car parking capability at Kemble station has to be good for the Cotswolds,^ he said.

He said the recent redoubling of the Kemble to Swindon rail line will lead to more traffic in the future so it is important that parking is improved.

Camlefh Khudusam , postmaster at Kemble post office, said cars parked in the road are driving trade away from his business. He said: ^If there are two or three cars parked on the front, customers cannot stop anywhere. They cannot stop to get a newspaper or a pint of milk. We need more car parking spaces. It is causing congestion and bad feeling throughout the village.^

Bob Williams, who lives near the station, explained that cars parked all along the Station Road and Windmill Road sides could cause an accident. He said: ^When the car park is full there is an accident waiting to happen at the bottom of Station Road and Windmill Road because you cannot see around the corner coming out of Station Road.^

Mr Williams explained that the car park side of the village is worst affected by congestion. He said that if plans to build 2,350 new homes in Cirencester are approved there will be an even greater need for more spaces at the station.

Find the petition at change.org by searching for ^Create more parking spaces at Kemble rail station^.

Sapperton Tunnel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 21:55:59 »

The Chairman of Kemble Parish Council has noted the following in his column in the lastest Kemble Parish News:

News too from Last Great Western. Negotiations on the lease of the extra land for the station car park extension remain very much alive, albeit at a finely balanced point.

Meanwhile, the railway company is pressing ahead with preparations toward achieving planning consent, including preliminary design and an architectural survey which is a pre-requirement.

Not only that, the architectural surveyor has been spotted carrying out his labours in the field.

I realise that the saga makes reporting of the Chilcot Enquiry look like a rushed job but it does now look as though events are coming to a head.

At least no one has taken a pot-shot at the surveyor unlike in times past......

ST

Sapperton Tunnel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:02 »

Plans for a new Car Park at Kemble Station were submitted for Planning Approval on 20th February and are now out for comments:

http://publicaccess.cotswold.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NK2V91FIM6H00

The new car park will have 333 spaces, making a total at the station of 553 when added to the existing 220.

Campaigns such as the Wilts and Glos Standard one were just jumping on the bandwagon when the real work had more or less been completed between the combined efforts of the Parish Council, the MP (Member of Parliament) and FGW (First Great Western).

ST
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 13:12:24 »

The new car park will have 333 spaces, making a total at the station of 553 when added to the existing 220.

Blimey, 553 spaces.  Not bad for a village!  Just shows how important these railheads can be in rural locations with larger settlements that don't have stations nearby.  Hanborough is another such location.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:44:18 »

From the Wilts & Glos Standard:

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/14228999.Dramatic_increase_in_spaces_at_Kemble_could_spell_end_to_parking_crisis/

YEARS of fervent calls to improve parking at Kemble train station may finally be coming to fruition.

Previous plans to upgrade the 220-space car park with an additional 333 spaces were submitted last March but were deemed ^unworkable^ because of the village^s one-way road system which has now been revised.

The news could spell an end to commuters struggling to find parking spaces at the station and cars being left parked haphazardly around the village.

Residents, councillors, Cotswold MP (Member of Parliament) Geoffrey Clifton-Brown and a Standard petition signed by more than 1,000 people have all called for more parking.

^The road plan was completely unworkable,^ said Cllr Tony Berry, of Kemble Ward. ^There was a one way system that meant you wouldn^t get half of the agricultural machinery over the bridge.

^We got around the table and found the problem was having to put a footpath from the car park to the station, without that they wouldn^t need a one way system.^

Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) has now brokered a deal with brewery Arkells to run the footpath alongside the Tavern Inn, which will mean the one-way system can be scrapped.

Commuters will breathe a sigh of relief if the plans make it through CDC^s planning committee in March, especially with thousands more houses looming on the horizon.

^There^s still a few things that will need to be ironed,^ said Cllr Berry. ^People will want this built tomorrow. Along with the station in Moreton-in-Marsh this is the gateway to the Cotswolds^

The long, thin car park will lie to the south of the pub along Station Road.

A GWR spokesman said: "Recognising the key role that rail plays in supporting the national and local economy, we are delighted to announce our proposal to expand car parking capacity at Kemble Station.

^Subject to planning approval, the ^1.4million project will deliver an additional 333 spaces.^

Mr Clifton-Brown said: ^I have been personally campaigning for what seems like an awfully long time for extra car-parking spaces at Kemble Station.

^We desperately need extra spaces and I hope that the CDC will now get behind this application so that the necessary engineering works can be prepared and the spaces can provided as soon as possible.^

To comment on the application use reference code 15/00786/FUL

It looks as if the access issue is resolved.

But that poor man in the Land Rover is still driving round looking for a space over a year on...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: