19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:32:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Weston rail track improvements will be delayed  (Read 9275 times)
bemmy

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:29:43 »

Rail improvements to be delayed 

Mr Penrose met with Network Rail bosses to discuss the delays
Weston-super-Mare MP (Member of Parliament) John Penrose has said he is angry after discovering promised local rail track improvements have been postponed.

In a meeting with Network Rail chiefs it was confirmed to Mr Penrose the work will not now take place until 2014.

The work, which includes doubling the track, was initially due to take place this year to reduce delays to services.

Bottlenecks are currently created by trains going into Weston which are held up on the single track.

Overcrowded trains

Network Rail said service standards have improved significantly in the last two years, without any track improvements, so the work is no longer a high priority.

John Penrose said: "This is bad news for Weston and the villages. The track improvements should now be in operation and providing real help to commuters and tourists.

"But instead of getting on with the work Network Rail have slammed on the brakes. 2014 is far too long for Weston to wait."

Mr Penrose continued: "Commuters are already packed in like sardines and, despite local opposition, the government are set on their plans to build 12,000 new houses in Weston-super-Mare.

"Network Rail needs to sort its act out. The managers I met were completely unapologetic and didn't seem to care about the delays."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8051302.stm

See also:
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Weston-rail-track-improvements-delayed/article-994885-detail/article.html

If it takes that many years to upgrade one junction and build a mile or so of track, we can expect the Yate turnback facility to be scheduled for 2030, and maybe Filton Bank will be requadrupled in the 22nd century.... Clearly Bristol will never have a suburban rail network in my lifetime.  Roll Eyes
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:41 »

[Network Rail said service standards have improved significantly in the last two years, without any track improvements, so the work is no longer a high priority.

In other words FGW (First Great Western) (and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))) have got better at making do with the inadequate layout so it will not be upgraded.  If FGW had'nt got its act together Weston would have seen track improvements earlier.

Seems rather unfair to penalise the folk of Weston for the fact that their local TOC (Train Operating Company)'s servcie has gone from "pretty poor" to "fairly good"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 16:34:05 by Tim » Logged
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 16:29:50 »

Indeed, and it's not just people in Weston that are affected -- what about the Crosscountry trains stuck behind a local train at Worle waiting for the single line to be free? I can't believe that doesn't still happen, especially at times of disruption.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 16:40:13 »

Indeed, and it's not just people in Weston that are affected -- what about the Crosscountry trains stuck behind a local train at Worle waiting for the single line to be free? I can't believe that doesn't still happen, especially at times of disruption.

surely anything with the capacity to mess up XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains who will then propagate delays nationwide is a priority to put right and something that will benefit the whole country and almost every TOC (Train Operating Company).

One wonders how much the improvement in preformance has been brought about by adding slack to the timetable.  XC trains certainly seem to spend plenty of time waiting at Temple Meads.

I won't mind so much if "postponed until 2014" actually meant work would be guanteed to start in 2014.  IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) 2014 is often quoted because it is the start of NR» (Network Rail - home page) next "control period".   Once we are into that control period who know what money will be available.  I would not be surpised if some of  the "posponed to 2014 projects" become "posponed to 2019"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 17:14:18 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) have had to make some harsh decisions for CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) as the result of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) determination on NR's funding request, basically an "efficiency" of 25% has to be achieved therefore postponing such schemes help in the process of "efficiency"

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 19:56:43 »

Rather interestingly, the original wording of this BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News item, quoted in full by Bemmy (for which, thanks!) has now been expanded - to include a bit more 'spin' from Network Rail's spokeswoman, apparently:

Weston-super-Mare MP (Member of Parliament) John Penrose has said he is angry after discovering promised local railway track improvements have been postponed.

In a meeting with Network Rail chiefs it was confirmed to Mr Penrose the work would not now take place until 2014.

The work, which includes doubling the track, was initially due to take place this year to reduce delays to services.

Network Rail said it was important for taxpayers' cash to be spent properly and any investment made wisely.

"The original scheme was designed to ease congestion between Worle Junction and Weston Milton," a Network Rail spokeswoman said.

"We were able to achieve that improved performance through a structured and concerted approach jointly carried out with First Great Western.

"The Great Western Route Utilisation Strategy process will determine the track, platforms and train services required on the entire stretch between Worle Junction and Weston-super-Mare.

"It will also consider the West of England Partnership's aspiration to increase capacity across the whole of the Bristol area - facilitating the broader Bristol metro scheme," she added.

Bottlenecks are currently created by trains going into Weston which are held up on the single track.

'Slammed on brakes'

Network Rail said service standards had improved significantly in the last two years, without any track improvements, so the work was no longer a high priority.

John Penrose said: "This is bad news for Weston and the villages. The track improvements should now be in operation and providing real help to commuters and tourists.

"But instead of getting on with the work Network Rail have slammed on the brakes - 2014 is far too long for Weston to wait."

Mr Penrose continued: "Commuters are already packed in like sardines and, despite local opposition, the government are set on their plans to build 12,000 new houses in Weston-super-Mare.

"Network Rail needs to sort its act out. The managers I met were completely unapologetic and didn't seem to care about the delays."

Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 23:04:04 »

Guess who tipped off John Penrose's office about this???

His office only investigated it because I pointed out that his press release (Jan 07) trumpeting NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s confirmation that funding was in place and the work was due to happen in 2008 didn't appear to hold water given the latest business plan. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 23:10:10 »

Funny you should say that, John!  Wink

When I saw that item, I did wonder why John Penrose had suddenly shown such an apparent interest in the railway service in his constituency ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 15:53:24 »

Maybe he could secure funding himself, by designating a mile of railway track as his second home? Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 17:50:12 »

Maybe he could secure funding himself, by designating a mile of railway track as his second home? Grin

Perhaps it could be built in traditional GWR (Great Western Railway) style, with some "dummy" signals - they got away with some fake beams  Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 18:22:14 »

If the space is there, I can't see how slapping an extra track down should be delayed. Huh

(yes I know, plus signals etc.)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 19:10:32 »

As an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) passenger... I can comfirm my experiences are this:

1) XC Service is on time, generally no disruption unless a stopping service is around 45 - 50 minutes late... e.g. 13:53 Service will delay the 14:44 Service. In all honesty, that doesn't happen too often Grin

2) XC Service is 10 - 15 minutes late, again using the 14:44 as an example, the stopper service leaves at 14:53, If the Crosscountry Service still hasn't platformed or hand hasn't finished pax boarding, The signallers will release the 14:53 onto the main line. 90% of the time, the stopper is held at the signal gantry at Bedminster, Where the XC Service passes on the adjacent line

3) XC Service is 20 minutes late, the 14:53 will be allowed to continue passed Bedminster. When the XC service catches up, pax on the 14:44 endure a motion of stop, start to Yatton, Where the 14:53 is moved onto the passing loop, so the XC Service can overtake.

4) XC Service is 30 minutes late, The 14:53 will be allowed to proceed past Yatton, this is where the bottleneck occurs. If there is a service from Taunton on the Up Main, the 14:53 has to wait for this to pass, before proceeding to Weston Milton. Once the 14:53 has proceeded onto the Weston Branch, the XC Service gets a clear signal to Taunton. Sometimes there is a delay on Cogload Junction Bridge for an FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) to continue onto Taunton, thus only incurring one delay (to the XC Service)

I'm afraid to say it... But numbers 3 and 4 happen to me at least once a week, on the 14:44 or 15:44... Hardly suprising though as those services start at Dundee. But that doesn't alter the fact that the train is still late Angry

I'm not critercising anybody for that list of scenarios, They are just what I have observed when travelling XC for the past 6 months Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 19:26:11 »

I can't see why XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) should be late that often! Angry

If they had no slack in the timetable, I could understand a train from Scotland being a few minutes late on arrival at Bristol from time to time.

But when you have a timetable which has 5 minute waits a most stations AND at most junctions, a delay is not acceptable unless in exceptional circumstances (train failure, line obstruction etc).
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 20:03:14 »

There used to be lots of recovery time built in between Parkway and Temple Meads however they now follow a FGW (First Great Western) stopping service so are more prone to delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 20:07:06 »

I can't see why XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) should be late that often! Angry

If they had no slack in the timetable, I could understand a train from Scotland being a few minutes late on arrival at Bristol from time to time.

But when you have a timetable which has 5 minute waits a most stations AND at most junctions, a delay is not acceptable unless in exceptional circumstances (train failure, line obstruction etc).

It's easy for them to lose 10 to 15 minutes south of Birmingham given the intensive Cross City service. My service south on Friday got delayed due to trespassers in the Derby area. It left Birmingham 15 down, and lost a further 15 by Bromsgrove. No chance to make up as by then it was presenting itself at stations/junctions completely out of path and so got further delayed.

I'd agree with Trout's observations re services southbound out of Bristol. Usually the signallers do the right thing, but sometimes its impossible to avoid delays somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: