Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:01:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hailing a train could prove dangerous say passengers  (Read 10383 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 10:41:35 »

There are full panel displays facing the car park and the platform indicating that the station is a request stop. Additionally the full timetable is displayed which clearly shows the services that stop on request and those that don't. Finally the press button for information loudspeaker service clearly advises that the intending passenger must stand 'in clear view' of the driver and deliver 'an appropriate signal' to the driver of the oncoming train that they want to board.

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 13:20:50 »

Yet another pathetic newspaper article where the facts are not researched. It is too easy to find a moaner.

I appreciate the improved train service apart from the first off peak train that whistles through Perranwell @0910 without stopping. Hopefully that can be added as a requested train in the future.

It is easy to hail the train without being anywhere near the platform edge and all the signs and timetable are prominently displayed.

On my return I have asked the staff as I get on if they will stop @ Perrranwell with no problem at all. As it is only a single 153 unit it is pretty simple to speak with the train crew.

I do not see what is different to other request stops like Exton where not all trains stop and have done so for ages.

Great improvement, lets get more people on the trains and ignore the moaners.

Thanks
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 22:42:35 »

Well said gents, like I say, it's no different to any other request stop and it just takes common sense to signal to the driver to stop the train!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 00:16:43 »

To be frank, I don't see what the problem is really... It's no different to sticking your arm out at a Bus Driver to show you want to get on a bus...! Which considering some of the places buses stop in cornwall, that can be a frequent event...!

Take the suburbs of Bristol for example, If you don't stick your arm out, the Bus doesn't stop... End of! Roll Eyes

So to summarise, What is the difference to signalling to a Train Driver to show you want to get on, compared to flagging down the X1 in Weston-Super-Mare??! The Answer...?? Not Alot...!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 08:10:20 »

Old Ladies in Cornwall seem to think the bus will stop even though they don't put there hand out, and then complain when the bus doesn't stop.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:07 »

Take the suburbs of Bristol for example, If you don't stick your arm out, the Bus doesn't stop... End of! Roll Eyes
And sometimes if you do stick your arm out, it doesn't stop.... because punctuality is more important than passengers.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 15:14:13 »

sometines the buses don't stop in Bristol when signalled because they are at maximum capacity. Something regularly seen on the number 70 Centre - Ashley Down college service.

Sometimes pax are never happy no matter what you do for them...! And what i disapprove of the most is when the old ladies stand and complain to the driver that the bus is 20 minutes late... Carry on arguing and we'll be 30 minutes late, sit down and stop moaning!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 16:02:40 »

If the bus was free, I wouldn't complain if it was late!
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 16:15:16 »

sometines the buses don't stop in Bristol when signalled because they are at maximum capacity. Something regularly seen on the number 70 Centre - Ashley Down college service.
In this case it is entirely sensible for the bus not to stop. There would be a problem though if trains had the same rules. In this case all of the busy commuter trains would have to be reservations only, which isn't any use for commuters, or passengers that missed a connection due to a late running train or late flights. Smiley
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 16:39:09 »

Fair enough, but often they don't stop when there are plenty of seats free. I don't blame the drivers, it's obviously company policy for the sake of timekeeping statistics. Of course the delays are rarely First's fault, it doesn't take much to cause gridlock in Bristol. The other day I caught a mid-morning bus from Westbury to the Centre and the driver spent around 10 minutes of the 25 minute journey reading the paper at stops, which shows how much padding they've put in over the years to accomodate the frequent delays.

In this case it is entirely sensible for the bus not to stop. There would be a problem though if trains had the same rules.
When the train is full to bursting, the guard will only allow on the same number of passengers that get off. Been left behind a few times at Parson St, could hardly complain to the guard as I could see there wasn't room to squeeze one more person in.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 16:07:22 »

...and yet...

I experienced First Somerset and Avon at their worst last Saturday in Bath. Was catching the hourly 332 service from Bath bus station, which is scheduled to leave at xx33. The incoming bus arrived slightly at 0936, but I suppose you can't blame them if they get held up by the traffic in Bath at the moment, given all the roadworks.

What you can blame First for though is the attitude of the driver. Firstly he barked at everyone to wait behind the gate, then spent a good few minutes setting up his ticket machine very very slowly. He did eventually open to doors to let us on but then spotted one of his colleagues and called him over for a good long chat whilst we all waited. Having finished that conversation he was just about to pull away but then spotted another mate who he called onto the bus for yet another good long chat. The final insult was when he eventually did try to drive away well over 10 minutes late and couldn't get the vehicle into gear.

So, whilst some of First's poor timekeeping on the buses is undoubtedly due to traffic congestion, there is also some very sloppy working from certain members of staff.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 19:21:46 »

isnt it the case that in reality at most 'request only' stops, the train stops anyway
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 20:07:06 »

Having travelled on the service five times in the last two days I'd say that there is an education exercise with Perranwell Passengers going on. The assumption seems to be at present that if there is anyone standing at the Platform that they intend to board the service and thus the train stops. Clear instructions were then given to those boarding the service AND more significantly considerable efforts made between Truro and Perranwell to ascertain whether the service needed to stop. The issue will almost certainly fade away.

I do note another 'attacking article' against the service was the lead on Friday's Packet. It's not online yet to link to. When it is I'll post.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 17:34:09 »

isnt it the case that in reality at most 'request only' stops, the train stops anyway

I'm open to correction, but I think the service will only run through the station if the conductor positively confirms to the driver that no-one wishes to alight and no-one signals the driver from the platform. In the absence of any communication from the conductor the train is supposed to stop.

I've sometimes heard ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) guards giving the driver "two" on the buzzer when approaching Kidwelly or Ferryside to confirm that they don't have anyone wanting to get off, although I don't know if this is official policy or an informal arrangement.
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 17:50:55 »

Not sure whether it is official or not, it is common practice to use the buzzer for communication at request stops.
Guard gives one for passengers getting off the train or two for none getting off.
The driver replies one if one is give, or one for passengers on the platform or two for none when the guard gives two.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: