Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:53:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: (Rant) XC Catering  (Read 7689 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2009, 19:48:50 »

Ok, I'm going to have a rant now, because I am getting bored with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s somewhat, shall we say... Different catering methods!

I use XC about 4 times a week and I have to say that the catering onboard seems to have got worse and worse.

I boarded a service to go to Taunton from Bristol... I decided I would go to the shop. Get down to carriage D only to discover it was a refurb and that the shop no longer existed. So I proceeded onto the end of coach F where my presence wasn't exactly appreciated... I asked if I could get a drink and was told there will be an At Seat service in FC(resolve) once the host had made their way down Standard with the trolley. I asked if I could get a drink as i'd walked all the way from A - F. I recieved a No response... Fair enough, went back down to FC

Now I don't have a problem with that, except that I got off at Taunton and the Trolley had only made it to Coach C Angry

A similar situation happened on a HST (High Speed Train) service. I went to there little catering room and was told that Standard Class would be served first and that I could not have a drink until that had been completed because: "If I serve you then I have to serve the next person and so on" However I was told that I could write a letter to XC...!

Except that doesn't put a drink and biscuit infront of me Angry

Trout tends not to moan and generally accepts things, but when this is happening on 3 out of 4 journey's a week, trouts' patience begins to wear thin!

I don't want to open a tin of worms here, but does anybody think that the trolley service is generally a bad idea and that a Buffet would be much more suitable... Or maybe implement what GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) did and have both Grin

Another point, do we think that an At Seat service should be provided in FC between at the very least, Exeter - Bristol, but ideally Plymouth - Bristol?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 19:58:25 »

it is not the only thing that has got worse,the interior of the voyagers is in a terrible state despite the so called refurb.as far as i can see shop removed,quick hoover and blue/yellow stickers on couplers refurb done.

shame on arriva for treating long distance trains the same as local stuff,i mean if i was travelling say BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))-Glasgow i would be wanting better facilities than a trolley.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 19:58:35 »

Are they all refurbs yet?

Shame what they've done. Now First Class is the only way of guaranteeing a seat, legroom, a table and a view!

Trout: email XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and threaten to switch to Standard Class!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 19:59:42 »

the only time i have ever seen the trollys as a good idea are on services like manchester to blackpool north max of 4 carrages mid range journey lack of choice is not an issue

as for xc staff, i have found them to be one extreame to the other really helpfull great to talk to and up for a laugh, or miserable ignorent and go out there way to p**s you off

xc trains are late all the time so adding a carrage and slowing down the acceleration isnt going to make a difference.... maybee they could put the toilet at the end of the train so less people have to put up with it

i think you should complain nothing worse than being ignored by a member of staff just because you wanted to purchase goods from them.... its not like you were asking for something stupid you just wanted a drink.. getting it would have been a two second job, even on the units with the shop i have found that the shop seems to be more of a staff room for the crew and that passengers are treated as outsiders
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 20:14:11 »

...i have found that the shop seems to be more of a staff room for the crew and that passengers are treated as outsiders

When I travelled First Class with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) I learned why I had rarely seen any staff when I had travelled Standard.

They either sit and chat in the "First Class Kitchen" (well, an alcove with a microwave and a box of Coke cans) all journey, where there is little chance of any passengers finding them, or they chat in the shop.

Once of their buffet staff was very rude to me once, and attempted to embarrass me in front of a queue of customers, over my choice of a ^20 for payment. (smallest note in my wallet - not my fault ^5 are rare these days!) I offered to pay by debit card, then they snapped and said "didn't you hear my announcement about not accepting debit cards?" I then explained to them that I had half heard some muffled announcement which involved "shop", "coach D" and "drinks". They were not happy. Nevertheless, the ^20 was changed for 2x ^10s and a payment was made...

However, in their defence, I have spoken to several guards - both friendly. And I have seen most guards being diligent in checking tickets.

And the Host who served me when I went First Class was very attentive and friendly. Its obviously the buffet/trolley ones that need to learn "customer care"!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 20:21:23 »

...i have found that the shop seems to be more of a staff room for the crew and that passengers are treated as outsiders

When I travelled First Class with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) I learned why I had rarely seen any staff when I had travelled Standard.

They either sit and chat in the "First Class Kitchen" (well, an alcove with a microwave and a box of Coke cans) all journey, where there is little chance of any passengers finding them, or they chat in the shop.

Once of their buffet staff was very rude to me once, and attempted to embarrass me in front of a queue of customers, over my choice of a ^20 for payment. (smallest note in my wallet - not my fault ^5 are rare these days!) I offered to pay by debit card, then they snapped and said "didn't you hear my announcement about not accepting debit cards?" I then explained to them that I had half heard some muffled announcement which involved "shop", "coach D" and "drinks". They were not happy. Nevertheless, the ^20 was changed for 2x ^10s and a payment was made...

However, in their defence, I have spoken to several guards - both friendly. And I have seen most guards being diligent in checking tickets.

And the Host who served me when I went First Class was very attentive and friendly. Its obviously the buffet/trolley ones that need to learn "customer care"!

Is this a XC policy then?  Had to admit I went RDG(resolve) to birmingham last week and discovered the shop didnt accept cards - but I assumed that the machine was broken.  I can only say they are cutting of their noses if they dont.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 20:36:34 »

bt was your swap of 20 to 2 tens between glos and exeter back in december with a passenger with a stripy shirt
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 20:48:12 »

No it was north of Birmingham sometime this spring.

Obviously this happens a lot! And why don't XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) accept cards?

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 20:52:30 »

i tried it too got the we dont take solo cards.... maybee its just debit cards with some banks retailers have to pay a surcharge on debit cards but not credit cards
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 20:57:13 »

i tried it too got the we dont take solo cards.... maybee its just debit cards with some banks retailers have to pay a surcharge on debit cards but not credit cards

they didnt even look at my card - just saw me take out a card and said no cards

could have been  credit, debit or membership

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 21:10:59 »

trout I agree. At seat should be extended to Exeter. Write to them. I got ^15 simply because they didn't serve me any hot food!!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 22:27:52 »

its pretty abysmal now ..but it could be worse if rail gormless ever got there hands on it

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 00:47:07 »

Thanks for your views guys Grin

I think I am going to write to them because it is rather unfair. I'm tempted to threaten to go with FGW (First Great Western), even if that does mean the dreaded stopper!

They used to accept cards in the shop, but they don't now they've gone over to trolleys.

Some of the staff are normally really friendly and helpful. But some of them are really mean Sad

If I go on the 07:51, 08:51 or 09:51 from Taunton, I get an At Seat service in First Class with hot breakfast. Yet the return trip from Bristol on the 14:44, i'm lucky if I get a bottle of water Lips sealed

Also the Microwaves on the HST (High Speed Train)'s still haven't been connected to a power source Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:59 »

Are the first class hosts on board earlier during peak hours?

I travelled on the 1714 Bristol - Paignton in First Class and had to traipse all the way down to the shop and considering it was a peak hour service which was pretty full would have expected a Host.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 12:09:53 »

I don't think anyone takes Solo or Visa Electron cards on board a train.  FGW (First Great Western) Guards certainly don't accept them for ticket payments.

Solo and Electron cards are different from other debit cards because they don't allow you to go overdrawn.  This is achieved by the card terminal contacting the bank in real time evrytime to approve the payment. In theory the terminals used on trains can do this, but as it relies on good wireless conmunications that is not always available, the terminals are often used offline.  They store the transaction data and send it off periodically or when the terminal is charging or whatever (they also have a blacklist of stolen cards in their memory which is regularly updated)

Solo is designed for use by under 18.  Electon cards are often issued to poorer people or those with a bad credit rating, or just people who don't want to go overdrawn or to foriegners from countries with different attitutes to overdrafts. 

There is no excuse for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) not to take other cards on their trolley.  Portable terminals are available and although the bank charges commision on transactions (about 2% on a credit card and about 15p on a debit card - and then there are also the costs of providing the terminal, communications and stationary)you must remember that cash transactions are not cost free.  The Bank will charge a TOC (Train Operating Company) for paying in cash, providing change and staff time will be spent adding up the money,  to say nothing of the security costs and risks of handling cash - insurance, paying for the Securicor van etc. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: