Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:27:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[234] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[36] Cornish delays
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[19] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thornbury Branch line (currently to Tytherington) - proposal for reopening  (Read 10091 times)
ReWind

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2009, 21:38:41 »

I travelled to Yate by train for the first time last Friday and noticed there is a mothballed track that curves of the Northbound line ( level with the extreme end of platform 2 ).

Is this line still in use?  And if so where does it go?  Is it an old track to Thornbury?

I presume it must be/was a freight line or something has I know the only passenger services at Yate all head to Gloucester.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 21:41:44 »

It's the branch to Tytherington Quarry. Can't tell you whether or not its in regular use though.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 22:28:00 »

Thanks, John.  Smiley

It appears that the line is still in use:
The line itself remains in use as far as Tytherington Quarry, for the transport of stone from the Hanson plc site.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tytherington_railway_station for details.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Oliver

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 19:32:27 »

Been for a nosey this evening.

The former Grovesend headshunt which runs from roughly 6M 03C at the Grovesend Overbridge to the portal of Grovesend Tunnel at the A38 has been cleared of all vegetation. (Of which there was a lot!)

It has revealed a rustic set of red buffers still in situ right at the end, I can only assume they are planning to use this infrastructure as the Network Rail boundary ends where you can see the sleeper chained to the tracks - some distance from the current end of the line.

The last time i saw a train backed up to the buffers was in the early/mid 80's, even then it wasnt right up there or is that down, it was a class 33 with seacow type hoppers it went in via the loop then backed the train under the loader, well half or it then ran round and finished loading, from memory it was class 33 sir mount batten of Burma.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 20:48:08 »

Interesting photos. Am I right in thinking that freights are still running from the quarry?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Oliver

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 20:49:10 »

Last train ran all the way to the quarry in 2013.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 23:33:36 »

Many thanks to you for posting those excellent pictures, together with your comments, Oliver.  Smiley

I've taken the opportunity to dredge up a previous topic (way back in 2009!) discussing the same line and have now merged it here, for completeness.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 23:54:49 »

I had heard a rumour that the line was to be brought back into service for quarry traffic - not transporting newly cut stone, but receiving waste stone.

The quarry was a brilliant landmark when flying back into Filton, and was a reporting point for pilots approching from the north for runway 27.

Now, please!
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 00:10:55 »

FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) has recently done some work on the possibility of reopening the Thornbury line to passengers.

This project came out of a FOSBR survey in January 2016 which asked people in the West of England area what stations they would most like to be reopened. There was a strong response from Thornbury residents.

The line has recently been cleared for renewed freight traffic from Tytherington quarry, as can be seen from the photographs in FOSBR's paper here: https://fosbr.org.uk/files/20171009_tytherington.compressed.pdf.

In September 2017, the final report of the West of England Combined Authority's Joint Transport Study appeared to rule out the possibility of including Thornbury in its list of possible reopenings, despite plans for significant housing development there in the Joint Spatial Plan; WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)'s priority is to extend MetroBus to Thornbury.

At WECA's meeting on 30 October, however, officials confirmed, in response to a question from FOSBR, that, although Thornbury reopening is not on the agenda at the moment, it is not ruled out for the future.

The track is in place as far as the A38, from which it is now visible. The suggestion is to extend it through the disused tunnel (now in private ownership) to a site by the roundabout on the edge of the town where Grovesend Road meets Midland Way. Alternatively, a park and ride could be considered near the quarry.

Issues include the fact that the route to Bristol is not direct (as trains would travel south-east to Yate and then south-west to Bristol), and pathing at Westerleigh Junction, where north-south trains have to cross the Paddington line on the level. It is said there is room in the timetable for only one more hourly north-south service, which WECA proposes should go to Gloucester as part of MetroWest Phase 2. 

Today's Gloucester Gazette covered the story here: http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/15634388.Bid_to_revive_train_station_in_Thornbury_put_to_regional_planners/.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 00:51:08 »

With many thanks for your update, Kempis, I've now also moved and merged here some previous posts from another discussion, in the interests of completeness.

CfN.  Smiley

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:35:28 »

Issues include the fact that the route to Bristol is not direct (as trains would travel south-east to Yate and then south-west to Bristol), and pathing at Westerleigh Junction, where north-south trains have to cross the Paddington line on the level. It is said there is room in the timetable for only one more hourly north-south service, which WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) proposes should go to Gloucester as part of MetroWest Phase 2. 

1. There are other examples of none-direct services.   Compare mileage as the crow flies from Weston-super-mare to Newport, of if you feel that's a special case from Helmsdale to Wick or from Frome to Bath Spa.  The latter being very much on the WECA border ...

2. I know it's a practise that's faded out in GWR (Great Western Railway) territory - but how about portion working, splitting and joining trains at Yate?  Such practise needs a reliability of crewing, and running to schedule to avoid some very awkward delays - so perhaps not a viable option this year?   But I do note GWR moving towards more train splitting / joining en route with 10 car IET (Intercity Express Train) formations shedding and gaining ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) portions to Bedminster at Temple Meads

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:10 »

2. I know it's a practise that's faded out in GWR (Great Western Railway) territory - but how about portion working, splitting and joining trains at Yate?  Such practise needs a reliability of crewing, and running to schedule to avoid some very awkward delays - so perhaps not a viable option this year?   But I do note GWR moving towards more train splitting / joining en route with 10 car IET (Intercity Express Train) formations shedding and gaining ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) portions to Bedminster at Temple Meads

They do it a lot on the local stoppers anyway, as quite often in the peaks a Worcester to Weymouth service will pick up an extra unit between Bristol and Westbury. So it certainly wouldn't be something new!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:17 »

Looking at Westerleigh Jct: I wonder how the cost:benefit case would stack up for making a connection between the remaining stub of the Midland line after in passes south under the GW (Great Western) line, looping round to west and joining the down GW line to the east of Ram Hill? Southbound trains would still have to cross over at Yate to access the Midland line, but that as I understand it is not where the bottleneck lies.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:47 »

For a lower startup cost an ultra light rail shuttle along the line, scheduled to arrive just before as many arrivals at Yate as possible might be worth considering. Not only would it avoid rail path issues (apart from platform dwell time) but it would also allow for a relatively inexpensive start to test the market yet still be able to expand. Think of Parry People Movers or similar, there's a lot of new stuff developing apparently, start with very simple platforms along the line of the prefab bolt together variety and you may have a workable affordable proposition.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 11:30:03 »

I think a shuttle service would work well. Trains in and out of Yate are hourly in both directions and within 10-15 minutes of each other, so should be fairly simple to timetable.

Regarding the indirectness of the route to Bristol, I think this will be an issue for many people. Although well used in the peak hours, outside of these, the Frome to Bath service is only lightly used, and the bus alternative is as fast or not faster. So I suspect a Thornbury rail service will be more used by those aiming to get to Bristol Parkway, and thence for many to London, etc.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: