15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 17:55:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[50] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[19] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) an improvement?
Yes - 16 (55.2%)
No - 13 (44.8%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW HSTs an improvement?  (Read 6849 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2009, 22:23:22 »

Based on a discussionI was having, despite having talked in length on the forum before, I'd like to conduct a poll answering the aforementioned question, as this forum has a wider audience than the forum I was discussing on.

Feel free to justfy.

I don't seem to be able to add a poll, could a mod add one with the options "yes" and "no". Thanks
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 22:28:16 »

Sorry, devon_metro, but you certainly should be able to add a poll: at the foot of the screen, in the right hand corner - and you select your options?

If it's still a problem, please let me know, and I'll be happy to post it for you, if necessary.

Chris  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 22:31:52 »

Sorry, devon_metro, but you certainly should be able to add a poll: at the foot of the screen, in the right hand corner - and you select your options?

If it's still a problem, please let me know, and I'll be happy to post it for you, if necessary.

Chris  Smiley

Not seeing it, could posting from a mobile device be a contributing factor?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 22:55:50 »

Chris  Smiley

Not seeing it, could posting from a mobile device be a contributing factor?

unless g and the team have set up a dedicated mobile with less options i doubt it, however im glad you brought up the hst's again because i have been thinking long and hard about these and tbh i really dont know, on the plus they look better there clean more seats but negative the seats are not as comfortable, loss of proper buffet hardly an tables, i dont know maybee i am getting nostalgic the reality is that there fit for purpose there are no more units available it costs too much to have rolling stock with big comfortable seats with decent catering they have to find a balance with cramming people on and getting them a seat providing minimal refreshments, improving safety  (the seats are safer in a crash then the old ones) and acceleration (length of train) and a comfortable ride aswell as keeping costs down

so in that respect there better, but i miss the old days  Cry god im only 24
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 23:11:25 »

Poll added!

And for my 2 cents' worth, yes they are an improvement. OK there are fewer tables-for-four but the airline seating is vastly superior to the old HST (High Speed Train) airline seating and I've never been that fond of staring a stranger in the face for the duration of a journey anyway. Ample legroom, comfortable seat, well-designed table. The majority of comments you here from other passengers travelling on them are generally positive as well. Just for a bonus, the new livery looks great too.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 23:16:18 »

Poll added!

And for my 2 cents' worth, yes they are an improvement. OK there are fewer tables-for-four but the airline seating is vastly superior to the old HST (High Speed Train) airline seating and I've never been that fond of staring a stranger in the face for the duration of a journey anyway. Ample legroom, comfortable seat, well-designed table. The majority of comments you here from other passengers travelling on them are generally positive as well. Just for a bonus, the new livery looks great too.

thats a good point, actually lets face it the paddington services dont carry as many familys and groups as the xc sets, and thats my main issue with the pacers when you have has a bad day it feels like everyone is in your face
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:58:35 »

I think so, yes.

Not too keen on the lighting, sometimes hard to look out the window but other than that i do think so.  I also noted the other day whilst sat at Ealing broadway waiting for my train that they're not half as loud as they used to be when they whizz through a station!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 15:42:40 »

Tut tut, what will TJ think with only the choice of yes and no!

I was split, partly due to the height of the seat backs - which are not a safety requirement as XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))/NXEC (National Express East Coast) have proved. It has restricted the view out of the windows.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 15:58:01 »

Tut tut, what will TJ think with only the choice of yes and no!

I was split, partly due to the height of the seat backs - which are not a safety requirement as XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))/NXEC (National Express East Coast) have proved. It has restricted the view out of the windows.

The reason for that is because I wanted a conclusive answer not people sitting on the fence. TJ may abstain if it bothers him so much.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 16:05:19 »

The reason for that is because I wanted a conclusive answer not people sitting on the fence. TJ may abstain if it bothers him so much.

As do we all...

Ditto here.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 16:10:08 »

That is an extremely subjective question, and as very irregular user of the HST (High Speed Train)^s there are a number of factors that have to be taken into consideration, especially as the timetable and passenger profile in the late 70^s between Bath and Paddington (when I last used the route regularly) and today are markedly different.

Technically the life extension is undoubtedly a success, and will see the stock carry on for many more years, but the colour scheme could have been a bit better, not a patch on the ^Barbie^ effort. Great Western and not a hint of green.

But if I were to compare my journey experience today with that of 30 years ago then things have gone down hill, gone are the fast trips into London and the infrastructure has been neglected for far to long and the journey experience from here is poorer for it. You can^t even smoke in the buffet anymore.

I don^t doubt that those who live closer to London have benefited enormously with the new internal layout, but quite a few haven^t, and if I^m honest I^d much prefer the 158^s as at least you can see out of the windows, although if your are traveling from Slough I suspect it is a blessing.

Oh and the lighting isn^t very good either, comparable with the naked tubes on the last 150 makeover.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 16:11:29 »

Poll added!

Thanks for adding that poll, i've just noticed where it is!! Normally poll options are inside the new topic option  Cheesy

My personal view, they are an improvement and i'm glad that the poll results suspect what I was discussing. (The original topic of discussion being the announcement of the (rather lacking) planned refurbishment of the EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) sets)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 17:57:37 »

From now on, if I encounter a poll where the pollster doesn't give me an option to vote 'Don't Know' or 'Don't Care' in those cases where it's appropriate, I've decided to try and vote in such a way that will most annoy the person setting the poll. In those rare cases where I'm not sure what will be the most annoying I'll toss a coin or throw a die before voting.
So from now you won't get a 'conclusive' answer, you'll one where you can't actually rely on the results being accurate...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 18:26:32 »

How childish of you...

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 19:04:46 »

How childish of you...

i agree, if you dont care about polls then just ignore them! maybee you dislike them because it shows that not everyone thinks the same way as you do?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: