06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 08:34:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] You see all sorts on the bus.
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[46] Where have I been?
[44] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[41] "Mayflower"
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: South Hampshire Rail Users (SHRUG)  (Read 52952 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2011, 19:01:15 »

At first glance, it seems strange that SHRUG don't complain about SN's Arun Valley line (Oh - it's not Stagecoach.). Because tired commuters are often DUMPED at Horsham, so the Soton train can make up time by having all stops AXED. I suppose the policy here benefits Hampshire - this just demonstrates the hypocrisy of the website.

Are there any other examples of issues blatantly being ignored? I'm so pleased that this website is much more balanced. Grahme: can you imagine a SHRUG forum? If anyone dared suggest a converse view, they'd get their membership AXED!
thefab442

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 20:14:39 »

They completely fail to mention the many times when "family friendly" Southampton-bound Southern trains are turned back at Havant, or diverted to Bognor Regis.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 20:50:00 »

Grahme: can you imagine a SHRUG forum? If anyone dared suggest a converse view, they'd get their membership AXED!

Hmm .. that's your view, said tongue in cheek I'm sure.   Denis of SHRUG is a member here, and posted earlier in this thread.  He's very welcome to contribute / post further, though I think that some of his views on how best to work for the improvement of rail / services differ from most of ours to the extent that he might find us intimidating.  Denis?  Are you there?

P.S.   Having done a bit of CRP (Community Rail Partnership) work and had around 250 people on the 19:37 Westbury to Swindon each August Sunday (comparison - Sunday 5th September, when there was no southbound service in the morning - 10 people), I do feel that working with the train operator to our mutual benefit has much to commend it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 00:31:34 »

The latest thrilling* edition of the Hogrider is out! Tongue

http://www.shrug.info/

* Containing some SHOCKING conspiracy theories about the Lymington Town station master.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 00:45:48 »

I currently have something of a headache - would you suggest I hold off on perusing the Hogrider until it's gone Btline? Or would that just give me another one?!  Tongue

Edited to add...
Got to about paragraph 5 and gave up! This was the breaking point - in a discussion about the Ian Faletto case the following is quoted:

Former SWT (South West Trains) Manager, Martin Bedford, stated: ^No one knows better than he did about the train times, the signals, the perils of the third line and when trains are due, so he would not have put himself in any danger.^

It might seem pedantic, but as many of you will know one of the first rules of track safety is that you never rely on a timetable, and must expect trains to approach from any direction at any time.

Off to find something a little more easy-going...
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 00:51:42 »

Shortly before the start of the Tribunal my legal advisers told me that I had no realistic chance of winning my case because SWT (South West Trains) had followed due procedure.

That one sentence says all that needs to be said.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:26 »

It's a pity that it is so long and vitriolic that your brain begins to hurt as Inspector Blacky says.

Thre some interesting points. The one about Secure Stations and bike thefts i agree with it's a nonsense for an unmammed staion and somewhat dubious for a single manned station who is in the office most of the time, to be called secure.

Also the number of AXED LATE DUFF SHORT FORMED trains and DUMPED passengers does seem to be high but the way it's presented doesn't allow you analyse the results.

A simple table of the trains what happened to it with totals for each type of incident would give much better picture.

I presume with even with these seemingly high numbers of incidents SWT (South West Trains) is meeting it's performance targets due to large number of trains it runs each day that are ontime  or upto 5.10 late) or not AXED etc.

Are missing stops, turning back short  or short formed count against SWT?. If they don't then a simple table of all these events would be far more effective in pointing out what SWT are getting away with and might just if it's pointed ot to the local MPs (Member of Parliament) persude DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) to include them in the statistics for all TOCs (Train Operating Company) and for adverse figures to leaad to rebates.

This would be of benefit to all rail users throughout the country and might get poor perfoming TOCs to pull their socks up or if they are infrastructure problems to start beating Networkrail around the head.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:41 »

It's a pity that it is so long and vitriolic that your brain begins to hurt as Inspector Blacky says.

The latest edition is out on the website.  To save brains hurting too much I'll sum up the topics discussed in it:

REFRANCHISING THREAT TO THE SOUTH - Negative story about Stagecoach

SWT (South West Trains)^S SATISFACTION SCORES CRASH - Negative story about SWT

NEW SWT MANAGING DIRECTOR DISPLAYS CUSTOMARY STAGECOACH SCORN FOR LONG DISTANCE COMMUTERS - Negative story about SWT

WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF STAGECOACH RAIL - Negative stories about SWT and Virgin (49% Stagecoach owned)

SWT^S PASSENGERS PANEL OTIOSE?  - Negative story about SWT

EXTRAORDINARY ATTEMPTS TO FAULT PASSENGERS - Negative story about SWT

UNSAFE TO SERVE REFRESHMENTS ON THE 06.50! - Negative story about SWT

THE SMALL SOCIETY: SWT DRIVES OUT VOLUNTEERS - Negative story about SWT

IS SWT MISUSING POLICE RESOURCES? - Negative story about SWT

FAILURES TO STAFF SWT TICKET OFFICES CONTINUE - Negative story about SWT

SWT STATION LIFT FAILURES CONTINUE - Negative story about SWT

RAILFUTURE MEETING - Neutral story about developments in the area

TRAINS TO HYTHE STILL ON THE AGENDA - Positive story about future developments in the area (non TOC (Train Operating Company) specific)

STAGECOACH BUS DANGERS SPREADING - Negative story about Stagecoach

DFT (Department for Transport)^S GREAT WESTERN FRANCHISE REPLACEMENT CONSULTATION - Replies from the group to the consultation

CONGRATULATIONS TO SOUTHERN AND SOUTH EASTERN - Positive story about Southern and SouthEastern

IN BRIEF - Several negative stories about SWT and Stagecoach and the odd neutral one

DUFF SWT TRAINS CAUSE MISERY ON THE IDES OF MARCH - Negative story about Stagecoach

Meanwhile, I had cause to use a SWT train from Basingstoke to Clapham Junction the other week.  It was on time, clean, had seats available just after the rush-hour so still at a busy time, and I had my ticket checked.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:25 »

Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2013, 22:58:08 »

I've been a little slow on the uptake here, but you'll be delighted to hear that Hogrider 137 was sh@t out published recently. For your reading pleasure and edification, point your browser in this direction:

www.shrug.info
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:56 »

Ouch! Just visited their website and it isn't exactly easy on the eye, is it?!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:59 »

I'd encourage all new members to visit this site, as it's a great example of how not to run a user group, whilst being very entertaining, if a little painful on the eye.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2013, 14:27:24 »

This makes the heaviest of 'rants' in this Forum look like a nursery rhyme.  There is no let-up in excoriating criticism and not one piece of encouragement to the staff to change anything.  Is nothing right in Hampshire for SWT (South West Trains) users?  How sad that this group had deteriorated into such a negative frame of mind.  I'd rather be part of a balanced Forum with an excellent informative grape-vine than one which is basically a gripe-vine.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2013, 14:46:46 »

Like the Daily Express on steroids...

Now, please!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2013, 17:31:35 »

What worries me is that someone is spending an awful lot of time writing these "articles" which are probably just being laughed at by SWT (South West Trains) and other user groups (such as ourselves).

I assume hope they automate the list of AXED services  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: