Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:42:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Airport - expansion plans, car parking, public transport links - ongoing discussion  (Read 26513 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2009, 17:15:12 »

Something new for Tony Ambrose (MTLS (More Train Less Strain)) to get his campaigning teeth into:
http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/travelandtransport/Row-campaigners-worry-night-flight-noise/article-1139739-detail/article.html
Campaigners fighting expansion plans by Bristol International Airport have suggested that complaints about night-time noise from the Bath area will increase if the development is approved.

But the Stop Bristol Airport Expansion pressure group has been accused of scaremongering by bosses at the airport, which wants to increase the number of commercial flights by more than 40 per cent.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:34:06 »

"Mr Lyddon may work in a field which does not require him to travel, but thousands of people in the south west do rely on air links to do business.

That is why almost all of the flights from Bristol are to hot sunny places with beaches.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 13:45:45 »

"Mr Lyddon may work in a field which does not require him to travel, but thousands of people in the south west do rely on air links to do business.

That is why almost all of the flights from Bristol are to hot sunny places with beaches.

I've counted 38 destinations that are British, Irish or European cities for scheduled services and 39 charter destinations including ski resorts. So hardly 'almost all' hot sunny places with beaches. Bristol Airport was once known for mostly charter 'package holiday' flights, but this is no longer the case.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 13:56:31 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 14:34:38 »

I know somebody who frequently flies to Scotland on business. Its cheaper and far, far better than a 10 hour slog on a Voyager.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:57 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

One of the West Country's major transatlantic links is to cease as Continental Airlines discontinues flights between Bristol and Newark.

The route, which was opened in 2005, is not making enough money, the firm said.

A spokesman told the BBC that although the flights had good occupancy rates in the peak season, they struggle to fill planes all year round.

The last flight will be on 7 November. Ticket-holders after that date will be offered alternatives or a refund.

Continental's daily services - which have carried 400,000 people since they began, also failed to attract enough first and business class passengers, the airline said.

Campaigners say the move proves that the facility should scrap its expansion plans.

Stop Bristol Airport Expansion group spokesperson Hilary Burn said: "There is no justification for allowing the huge negative impacts on local communities that will result from Bristol airport's massive expansion plans."

An airport spokesman said they were disappointed with the decision and thought that the service had been hit by the recession.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:08:14 »

B*ggeration. It's a useful flight that (although before I took it I had no idea that a 757-200 would make it all the way across the Atlantic without falling in). Odd that it's not making money though, when I've used it it's always seemed reasonably full, at least in cattle. However I guess if the pointy end isn't filling up with the expensive business class fares then that could impact on the profitability.

Oh well, back to Heathrow and BA» (British Airways - about) it is then...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:23:42 »

It is exactly as you suspect, blakey. The local TV news reported as such - not enough punters up the pointy end.

It was interesting, last night, to see BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West revisiting the story that accompanied the launch of the Continental service. They sent a reporter to the Big Apple back in 2005, no doubt with cameraman and producer in tow. Strikes me as a little extravagent for local TV news, especially one funded by a license fee.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:17 »

B*ggeration. It's a useful flight that (although before I took it I had no idea that a 757-200 would make it all the way across the Atlantic without falling in). Odd that it's not making money though, when I've used it it's always seemed reasonably full, at least in cattle. However I guess if the pointy end isn't filling up with the expensive business class fares then that could impact on the profitability.

Oh well, back to Heathrow and BA» (British Airways - about) it is then...

i too was amazed it was operated with a 757 obviously the fuel saving from having blended winglets retrofitted has made it just about possible to cross the pond.
personally i use VS out of heathrow always seemed to be the best quality and value to me plus i prefer JFK to Newark.none the less it is a blow for the area to lose a transatlantic service it seems numerous airports are now losing these long haul services.Gatwick has lost a lot of late with operators preferring heathrow.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:32:20 »

It was interesting, last night, to see BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West revisiting the story that accompanied the launch of the Continental service. They sent a reporter to the Big Apple back in 2005, no doubt with cameraman and producer in tow. Strikes me as a little extravagent for local TV news, especially one funded by a license fee.
Probably paid for by the airline as free advertising for their service.

I think (if memory serves me correctly), that Bristol to New York is about 4000 miles.  The 757 has a range of approximately 4500 miles, which is quite surprising for an aircraft of its size.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:01 »

It's a shame to loose the service; it is one we had tried (family in USA - have made the trip quite often), but it didn't really work out - the marginal convenience of Bristol rather than London in the UK (United Kingdom) was heavily outweighed by delays, and severe inconvenience and poor customer service at Newark, and when we head out next, it's already booked Heathrow to Dulles.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:34 »

i too was amazed it was operated with a 757 obviously the fuel saving from having blended winglets retrofitted has made it just about possible to cross the pond.

It wasn't the winglets that enabled the 757 to go transatlantic, it was the new generation of aero engines. Their much improved fuel efficiency was one factor. The main reason was their reliability. This enabled the rules concerning diversion distances, when a twin engined aircraft was down to one engine, to be drastically altered.
It's all down to ETOPS !

See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 19:49:32 »

In fact thanks to ETOPS the majority of transatlantic flights are now twin-engined aircraft (767, 777 and A330). Flying to/from the UK (United Kingdom) I think it's only BA» (British Airways - about) and Virgin who use four-engined aircraft: Virgin use them on all their routes but BA have use 777s and 767s on some of the less busy route like the Philadelphia and Denver flights. Most of the big North American carriers (e.g. American Airlines, Continental, US Airways, Air Canada) no longer have any four-engined aircraft in their fleets to my knowledge.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 21:38:51 »

It may be completely irrational - but seeing four engines gives me comfort

to lose one is an accident
to lose two is careless
to lose three is a disaster

but a jumbo can still land on one

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 21:48:46 »

Completely irrational: Air France Flight 4590 lost only one engine.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 22:01:14 »

...whilst Air Canada 143 managed to land safely after losing both its engines. A salient lesson in not mixing up metric and imperial though - it ran out of fuel at cruising altitude. As always happens in these situations, a whole series of things had to go awry before anything went seriously wrong (which included faulty fuel sensors in this case) but one of those mistakes was to mix up kilogrammes and pounds of fuel. Oops.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: