Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:49:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Airport - expansion plans, car parking, public transport links - ongoing discussion  (Read 26625 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2014, 10:51:58 »

In fact the last time I flew from Bristol was on an airline called GO which dates it Smiley

The last time I flew from Lulsgate was with Dan-Air! 1982.  Shocked

The last and only time I flew dan air was from gatwick to Toronto in 1976 IRC. I suspect it was a bit cheaper than today's equivalent fare Smiley
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2014, 22:27:29 »

Can anyone here help suggest or recommend cheap parking at Bristol airport.

I need to be at the airport 0430 ish Sunday 26th Oct, returning 2255 on Wednesday 29th Oct.

I can only find parking at silly prices. I've parked at Gatwick for 10 days for cheaper than Bristol is quoting for 4 days!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 07:15:26 »

I've just had a look at the official parking website and ^36.99 does seem a little excessive, but not unreasonable, for three nights.

To compare, I recently paid ^28.99 for four nights at Stansted (Long Stay - so furthest from terminal) and ^72.99 for nine nights at Bournemouth (just cross a road to reach the terminal).

Have you tried local hotel chains?  I know near Gatwick and Heathrow that many hotels sell off their unused parking spaces for fairly reasonable prices.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:50 »

If you join their email list, you get regular 10-15% off parking....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 14:11:41 »

There are independent airport parking providers nearby. I won't recommend any as I've no idea how good or bad they are, but a Google search brings up a few and of those I checked they do undercut the official parking prices.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 18:49:01 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had a look on my work employee discount portal and there was a discount code for Holiday Extras. I got the main airport car park for ^19.99 with the discount which to me is still a lot compared to prices I've paid at Gatwick and Manchester per day rate previously.

What I found was that the airport doesn't do a daily rate over a couple of days you can only buy a full week which explains the steepness of the price.

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 14:31:18 »

Come to Oxford and pay around ^25 for city centre parking or ^100 for parking in excess of 72 hours at the London bound P & R car park used by London airport travellers.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 15:31:05 »

Oxford Airport parking though is only ^7.50 per day or ^35 per week. Mind you there is only one scheduled flight a week at present that that will be finishing soon with the end of summer.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 18:47:43 »

Here's an alternative ... leave your car and dogs with Zanetta ... the car's free parking (!), lifts to and from the airport total ^30.    Sting in the tail is that you'll need to home board at least one dog with her at ^20 per day.

https://mydogbuddy.co.uk/sitter/home-boarding-house-sitting

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 19:13:19 »

Here's an alternative ... leave your car and dogs with Zanetta ... the car's free parking (!), lifts to and from the airport total ^30.    Sting in the tail is that you'll need to home board at least one dog with her at ^20 per day.

https://mydogbuddy.co.uk/sitter/home-boarding-house-sitting

I don't have a dog being the problem here.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2014, 00:47:50 »

To richwarwicker: I have a possible alternative solution to your parking problem, as I have a spare parking space on my drive in Nailsea - only three miles from the airport.  Details to follow, by PM.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:30 »

To richwarwicker: I have a possible alternative solution to your parking problem, as I have a spare parking space on my drive in Nailsea - only three miles from the airport.  Details to follow, by PM.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Thank you chris, I have booked and paid through my employee discount scheme now though.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2014, 15:17:58 »

Ah - no problem: glad you got the eventual price down anyway.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 18:36:31 »

An update, from the Bristol Post:

Easyjet working on 'wish list' of new destinations from Bristol Airport. Where would you like to fly to?

Easyjet is already planning for further growth from Bristol in 2016

Low cost airline easyJet is already looking to add new routes for passengers at Bristol Airport. The airline announced record profits for a fourth year running and revealed it is already planning ahead for further growth in Bristol 2016.

At the moment the airline flies to 46 different destinations from Bristol and that is likely to hit the half century mark by the end of next year.

Over the last 12 months 3.4 million passengers flew with the airline out of Bristol ^ more than half the total number of passengers who used the airport over the last year.

Earlier this month, EasyJet announced four new routes to destinations in Sicily, Spain and Portugal.

But Sophie Dekkers, who is responsible for organising easyJet's flying schedule from UK (United Kingdom) airports, is already looking for new destinations from Bristol. She said: "Bristol is a key airport for us and that is not going to change in the near future. We are adding another aircraft next year and we are also looking at increasing capacity on our existing flights. We are basing another aircraft at Bristol next year which means that we can increase capacity on our existing routes."

The easyJet model means that the furthest destination the airline flies to is Egypt.

Ms Dekkers said: "We operate in destinations were we can get there and back in one day. We keep our costs low because we do not have to pay for overnight stays for our crew. At the moment our furthest destination is Egypt from Manchester which is a five and a half hour flight. We are not looking at destinations further afield but we are always looking to add new and exciting places to visit. At the moment we are in the process of drawing up a wish list of destinations we would like to fly to from Bristol. We will look at the various destinations and decide which ones are economically viable. We are putting our plans in place now for our Christmas timetable which we will be announced in 12 months time."

EasyJet is now the largest operator based at Bristol Airport ^ its closest rival is Irish airline Ryanair.

Last year six million passenger used the airport, which has plans in place for a ^120 million expansion scheme.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 18:55:52 »

In fact the last time I flew from Bristol was on an airline called GO which dates it Smiley

The last time I flew from Lulsgate was with Dan-Air! 1982.  Shocked
Davies and Newman Airways IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: