19:19 Carmarthen to Swansea
Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 16:33:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport Station - problems, improvements and enhancements (merged topics)  (Read 41489 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 23:49:01 »

From the South Wales Argus:

Is it time to close Newport's danger subway?

As officers continue to investigate an alleged double sex attack in the subway below Newport railway station, we ask whether the underpass is too dangerous to keep open. AILSA CHALK reports.

RUNNING from Devon Place at the rear of the station to the front of the old station on Queensway, it is easy to see why some people may find this subway intimidating.

The entrances are shielded from viewby steps on Queensway and a ramp on the Devon Place side and a bend in the middle prevents a clear viewthrough the subway itself.

Although it is lit, many of the lights are broken or out and graffiti covers much of the walls.

Lisa Weaver from the Gaer, said: ^I don^t use it very often. It^s normally well lit, but it^s still scary when you are on your own. It^s not very safe. It would definitely be better there was a footbridge.^

Peter Griffiths, 68, of Rhiwderin said: ^It doesn^t bother me, but I knowit does worry some women. I think it was safer when it went all the way through to Cambrian Road.^

Irene Warden, 54, from Newport, said she tries to get through the subway ^as quickly as possible^ whenever she uses it.

Newport council leader Cllr MatthewEvans said he has campaigned for the refurbishment of the old station^s Victorian footbridge, which is currently closed, for a number of years.

He said the refurbishment was included in original plans for the newstation, but was put on the ^backburner.^

Mr Evans said: ^It has been a hobby horse for me to ensure that a footbridge replaces the subway. It^s not an ideal situation. I^m not an advocate for shutting things down when there is nothing to replace them, but I think it^s in everyone^s interests that it closes.^

He said the height of the ceiling in the subway meant it was not high enough for CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and the onus was now on allocating funding for a bridge.

A Network Rail spokeswoman said responsibility for the maintenance of the subway lies with the council and discussions were still being had to allocate funding to refurbish the old footbridge.

BRITISH Transport Police were last night continuing to examine CCTV footage from the train station itself and the city centre in connection with the incident.

A spokesman confirmed a woman contacted Gwent Police at around 4.10am on Sunday to say a man attempted to sexually assault her and shortly after 5am another woman reported she had been attacked.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact British Transport Police on 0800 405040, Gwent Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

EDITORIAL COMMENT: Avoid this dark subway

WE HAVE believed for a long time that the Newport subway which was the scene of two sex attacks at the weekend is a dangerous place.

We realise it is a direct link from Devon Place to the city shopping and nightlife area and vice versa.

We visited the subway yesterday.

The entrances are shielded from view by steps in Queensway and a ramp on the Devon Place side.

There is no clear view through the subway itself.

While there are lights for those using it at night, many are broken.

People we spoke to said they would never use it alone.

Some people clearly do though.

For two sex attacks to be carried out in the same place on the same night is extremely worrying.

It quite clearly shows that this is not a safe place at quiet times.

We believe now is the time to close it off at night.

It may cause some inconvenience but safety concerns outweigh that, surely?

There has been talk of the old Victorian footbridge being refurbished and reopened.

In the meantime we would urge people to simply not use the subway late at night.

It is not worth the risk.

For the avoidance of doubt: all of the above text is from the South Wales Argus, not my 'editorial comment'. Chris.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2011, 01:26:23 »

From the British Transport Police press release:

MAN CHARGED IN CONNECTION WITH NEWPORT SEX ATTACK

A man has been charged in relation to an incident on Sunday, 20 November 2011, in a subway which runs underneath Newport rail station.

Nicola Rees, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS Cymru-Wales, said: ^The Crown Prosecution Service has been working closely alongside British Transport Police and Gwent Police, in relation to their investigation into two incidents that occurred in Newport city centre in the early hours of last Sunday morning.

"We can now confirm that, having carefully examined a file of evidence provided by British Transport Police, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge Wayne David Jackson in relation to these incidents and that it is in the public interest to do so.

^Accordingly, we have advised British Transport Police to charge him with one count of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of robbery.

"The defendant now stands charged with serious criminal offences and has the right to a fair trial. It is important that nothing should be published that could prejudice that trial.^

Jackson, aged 23, of Newport, was arrested on Monday, 21 November, as part of an investigation which was launched by British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) and Gwent Police following a report of a sexual assault and a separate attempted sexual assault involving two women in the subway in the early hours of Sunday, 20 November.

He is due to appear at Caerphilly Magistrates Court tomorrow (Friday, 25 November).

Officers have moved to reassure the residents of Newport that the city is a safe place to live and work.

Detective Inspector Mark Cleland, who has been leading the investigation for BTP, said: ^I think it^s important to realise that this was an isolated incident. Newport city centre is well policed, and is largely a safe and secure environment. It is also well lit and has a good CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) system to protect the community. Incidents such as this are extremely rare. On this occasion, officers worked long and hard to ensure the suspect was arrested and charged as quickly as possible.^

DI Cleland added: ^Our officers will be out in Newport on Saturday night to reassure people in and around the rail station and to appeal for any witnesses who may have been in the area last Saturday night or early Sunday morning.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:28 »

Pictures  in the December's Modern Railways showing glass panels which have slipped on the platform canopies. Apparently clips weren't strong enough and are being replaced meanwhile there is quite a lot of sticky tape in view. Also comment that the  footbridge still leaks.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 14:26:16 »

Pictures  in the December's Modern Railways showing glass panels which have slipped on the platform canopies. Apparently clips weren't strong enough and are being replaced meanwhile there is quite a lot of sticky tape in view. Also comment that the  footbridge still leaks.

I can confirm that  there is still some leaks having  come from there this afternoon
Glovidge

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 19:06:58 »

I was t at Newport station last night and for some reason  trains about 21:00hrs going West were approx 20 mins or longer being delayed. No explanantion, no apology, no visible staff to ask.

Platforms 2 and 3 look like a building site. The toilet is the other end of the platform from where the trains stop.

Seemingly no staff after 21:00 around the ticket office or foyer to help with any possible queries

And to cap it all a train came though which wasn't announced on the board. Which I could have got on. But as it appeared on Platform 1 and I was in the toilet on Platform 2 I missed it. Despite my best efforts  Grin

Does anyone know how to contact the Station Manager?
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 22:09:18 »

...Newport is going to have an "Eden project style" plastic roof and lots of curved lines and silver pannels which will be dirty, damaged, vandalised and worn out in a few decades time. What is wrong with just giving the station a lick of paint, some hanging baskets, and a tidy up? ...I agree. We moan about 30s, 60s and 70s station architecture, and then replace it with another contemporary design that will be hated in 30 years!

Heavily edited quotes from Tim and Btline that appeared near the start of this thread back in 2009.

Well, I think the 30 years bit was an overestimate!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2011, 10:28:35 »

Surely Newport is manned whilst trains are running, where do they hide?

We coined aphrase at a community rail meeting "Stations are not Bus Stops", they are much more complicated than just a platform. Therefore, as matter of principle require staff at least some of the time.

I think Mcnaulty got it wrong to suggest more stations should be unstaffed or have reduced staff.

I certainly think calling an unmanned station secure is an oxymoron.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2011, 17:18:54 »

...Newport is going to have an "Eden project style" plastic roof and lots of curved lines and silver pannels which will be dirty, damaged, vandalised and worn out in a few decades time. What is wrong with just giving the station a lick of paint, some hanging baskets, and a tidy up? ...I agree. We moan about 30s, 60s and 70s station architecture, and then replace it with another contemporary design that will be hated in 30 years!

Heavily edited quotes from Tim and Btline that appeared near the start of this thread back in 2009.

Well, I think the 30 years bit was an overestimate!

I thought it might have just been my cynicism at the time but it seems that unfortunately we have been proved right
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2011, 19:14:11 »

Surely Newport is manned whilst trains are running, where do they hide?

Experience has taught me that ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) station staff at Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Carmarthen (maybe elsewhere too, although I haven't seen it directly) are sometimes very very good at locking themselves into their offices in the evenings, emerging for the bare minimum of time necessary to despatch trains and doing their level best to avoid having to assist anyone with information or who has missed a connection.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2012, 22:41:41 »

From the South Wales Argus:

Officers brand rapist a ^predatory sex offender^

SCENE OF ATTACKS: A woman walks alone through the underpass near Newport railway station Picture posed by model

A Newport man jailed indefinitely for a double sex attack in a city subway was described as a ^predatory sex offender^ by the officers who caught him.

Wayne Jackson, 23, of Commercial Road, Pill, was imprisoned for the public protection at Cardiff Crown Court on Wednesday, after admitting attacking two women in the subway underneath Newport Railway Station in the early hours of November 20 last year.

Detective Inspector Mark Cleland, who was in charge of the British Transport Police investigation, said: ^This was a brutal and shocking attack where both victims were subjected to horrific ordeals.

^Jackson is a predatory sex offender and a danger to the public, and although it is some comfort that he will not be in a position to offend again, it has left the victims with emotional scars that will last a lifetime.

^Officers worked tirelessly on this investigation, and their absolute determination to give both victims justice in this case meant that Jackson was tracked down and arrested within 48 hours.^

The court heard Jackson^s first victim was walking through the subway after having an argument with her boyfriend during a night out in the city centre. Jackson dragged her through a doorway and sexually assaulted her before she persuaded him to go to back to her house. Once inside the woman alerted her housemates and Jackson was thrown out of the house.

He returned to the city centre, where he encountered his second victim outside Marks and Spencer in Commercial Street. The woman was looking for a taxi home and Jackson offered her a lift. As they walked through the subway, he dragged her through the same doorway and violently raped her before threatening to kill her.

Sentencing Jackson, who smirked throughout the hearing, Judge David Wynn Morgan described him as a ^very dangerous criminal^ and said he must serve a minimum of six years before he will be considered for parole. If he is ever released he will be on licence for life.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: