Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:42 Paignton to Exmouth
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 12:28:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] "Mayflower"
[94] You see all sorts on the bus.
[67] Where have I been?
[56] Death of another bus station?
[32] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[26] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff Airport - recent developments, including road and railbus links - ongoing discussion  (Read 24852 times)
IanC

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:34:38 »

Quote from: South Wales Echo
THE controversial M4 relief road plan was pronounced dead yesterday ^ thanks to escalating costs and a little-known fish. Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones, who is also the Minister for Economy and Transport, announced Wales^ first ever integrated National Transport Plan (NTP).

Most attention was focused inevitably on the cancellation of the M4 project. Business groups have complained for years about congestion along the existing motorway, particularly around the Brynglas tunnels in Newport.

Mr Jones said that, five years ago, the cost of building the relief route was estimated at ^340m. Now, however, it would cost as much as ^1bn.

One element of the increase is construction inflation, but much more significant in the price hike is the need to protect the Area of Special Scientific Interest at the Gwent Levels and its most distinguished resident, the twaite shad. The fish is protected under European law.

Instead of proceeding with the new motorway route, the Assembly Government will upgrade the existing road network.

This will involve encouraging drivers on local journeys not to use the motorway. The southern distributor road south of Newport will be upgraded, and a seven-mile route which is currently a private dual carriageway through the Corus Llanwern site will be upgraded and opened to the public.

<snip>

Another controversial decision was to scrap plans to build a new access road to Cardiff Airport. Instead, the Assembly Government will provide a dedicated bus service to the airport, more frequent train services and improve safety on the A4226. An extensive consultation was carried out on a number of potential road schemes for the area, including building a new road.

The study highlighted that, while the proposed new road could provide benefits to the area, only a fraction of those benefits were associated with access to the airport. The consultation also raised significant concerns about the environmental effects along the proposed route and, together with the cost of the scheme, Mr Jones concluded this option should not be taken forward.

The decision was criticised by Vale of Glamorgan MP (Member of Parliament) John Smith, who said: "Ieuan Wyn Jones^ announcement today is reckless for the future of the Welsh economy. This decision is economic lunacy. This is exactly the type of infrastructure project the Welsh economy needs to weather the current economic storms. The local planning authority, the owners of Cardiff Airport and the South Wales business community backed my calls for the immediate construction of the road because it would have created jobs for local people, improved South-East Wales^ connectivity to the M4 and opened up huge new business opportunities for Welsh-based suppliers to the planned Defence Technical College at St Athan".

It also emerged that Mr Jones had rejected plans to consider shutting some rural railways and replace them with bus routes.
As part of the improvements to public transport, passengers will, in due course, be able to buy through tickets covering both train and bus journeys.

The long-awaited train service linking Ebbw Vale with Newport is due to open in 2011.

Mr Jones said the aim of the NTP is to ensure a system of transport fit for the 21st century based on three key principles:

1. to meet the demand for enhanced mobility which will enable economic growth and improve the quality of life for the people of Wales;

2. to put transport onto a more sustainable and less carbon-intensive path, and

3. to use transport funding more effectively in light of increased pressures on public finances.

Mr Jones said: "Transport is a consistent thread that contributes to the success of many Welsh Assembly Government strategies. Newly acquired powers have given us the opportunity to use that thread to weave together the patchwork of transport provision across the nation, from roads to railways, and buses to bicycles.

But there is more we must do. We must work towards a de-carbonised transport system, where people are able to choose healthier and more sustainable modes of travel. That is why we are aiming to increase the number of people walking or cycling. In our programme for Sustainable Travel Towns we will invest in new, and link, existing walking and cycling routes. Across the wider network, we have plans to increase the provision of bicycle facilities on trains, at stations and in towns and cities".

Mr Jones said that in developing the transport system the Assembly Government would continue to support economic prosperity, especially when faced with the challenges of an economic downturn.

The NTP is set out in a way that reflects the four main movement corridors in Wales ^ east-west in the north, mid and south, and north-south. There are also proposals that are relevant across Wales. The proposals for the main corridors share two aims ^ to improve the reliability, quality and speed of rail and to improve journey times and safety on the main trunk roads.

As a user of the VoG line, I must say I'd be quite happy with that proposal to go ahead.

IanC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 20:54:20 »

Taken from Today's South Wales Echo:-

Quote from: South Wales Echo
THE shuttle bus which ferries passengers between Cardiff International Airport and the nearby Rhoose railway station is to be axed at the end of next month. Airport chiefs say the service is no longer financially viable, four years after the Assembly Government spent ^17m reopening the station.

It is believed the decision to cut the funding is partly a result of the Assembly Government now pledging money for a new link bus from the centre of Cardiff. An airport spokeswoman confirmed the plug will be pulled on the project as of May 31.

<snip>

He said "This bus service is funded by the airport operator and not the Welsh Assembly Government. It is for them to decide if they wish to fund the service".

Now, since there's plans for a 2tph on the Vale of Glamorgan line, I don't really think stopping the Bus Linc* is a sensible idea, since the station is a good mile and a half from the Airport entrance.

South Wales Echo Article

* Yes - I did know I put a 'c' there instead of a 'k', as link is 'linc' yn Gymraeg.

welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 22:34:18 »

Rhoose has 160,000 users per annum according to the station usage stats.

According to my count, over 5500 services stop at Rhoose every year.  That's 17 per day in each direction Mon to Sat and 4 each way on Sunday.  Almost 16,000 users are season ticket holders.  Assume that some of the rest are locals casually travelling and you are left with, say, 140,000 airporters per year.  Half are getting on and half are getting off.

Even on 140,000, which I suggest is wildly overstated, you have an average of only 12 or 13 people per journey who want to use the airport bus.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 23:19:44 »

It's not really helped by the fact that certain train companies, including FGW (First Great Western), don't actually promote that link, instead advising passengers to travel to Cardiff Central and take the X91 bus. And there is a degree of sense in that - why change onto an extra train for a bus link when you can just get on a bus at CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) and not have to change again (carting all your holiday luggage with you)?!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 00:22:58 »

The problem is that 1tph in not frequent enough to attract regular users. Travelling outwards, you have to allow for delays/cancellations, so could end up deciding you need to leave Cardiff two hours before your latest check in. On the return, the last thing you want is to find you've missed the train by 2 minutes and have an hour to wait.

The fact that the service is reliant on a shuttle bus doesn't help either (though difficult to see how that problem could be overcome), nor does the fact that the service calls all stations to Cardiff, so is hardly fast.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 13:53:16 »

According to reports in local press this morning, the operators of Cardiff Int'l airport have decided to withdraw funding for the railink bus which links the airport & rhoose railway station.

I personally think they are making a big mistake as  have the bus to be very well used on some occasions and it certainly does carry more passengers than some of the other railink bus services i have seen.

Hopefully the welsh assembly may be able to come up with some funding for this as they want to improve acess to cardiff airport
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:25:33 »

Easyway have  taken over this service commercially now. I am not sure when it is during to start  but this should help some passengers who use the airpoirt railink.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 18:53:51 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Cardiff Airport: Direct South Wales coach route to rival Bristol Airport

The Welsh government wants to buy Cardiff airport after a slump in passenger numbers

Troubled Cardiff Airport is facing the prospect of a direct hourly bus service between south Wales and its nearest rival in Bristol.

Holidaymakers in Swansea, Cardiff and Newport will be able to catch a coach to Bristol Airport, 24 miles (38km) from the Welsh border, from March.

The Welsh capital's airport has seen a steady decline in passenger numbers in the last five years. Last month the Welsh government said it planned to buy the airport.

The Greyhound coach firm, which already operates between Swansea and Cardiff, is extending the route to call at Newport railway station, and the service will end "just metres" from Bristol Airport's check-in hall.

Bristol Airport chief executive Robert Sinclair told BBC Wales' Wales Report: "We are delighted First [Greyhound's owner] has taken this step to enhance connectivity for people and businesses in Wales. This is an exciting new addition to the public transport options available for passengers in an important part of our catchment area." He added: "The new Greyhound UK (United Kingdom) service will enable people in south and west Wales to access the extensive range of destinations available from Bristol Airport."

Mr Sinclair said that the service would benefit south Wales' economy by allowing in-bound visitors to reach tourist destinations like the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and Swansea's Liberty Stadium.

It is estimated that 700,000 of Bristol's 5.7m passengers came from Wales in 2011.

The journey time from Swansea bus station to Bristol Airport has been put at two hours and 45 minutes, while the stage from Cardiff to Bristol will take an hour and 40 minutes.

The Welsh government announced last month that it intended to buy Cardiff Airport from Abertis, its Spanish owner, in attempt to increase routes and encourage more people through its gates. The deal is expected to be completed in the coming months. A price has not been announced, but First Minister Carwyn Jones insists a commercial operator will be brought in to run the airport if the sale goes through. Mr Jones has been sharply critical of the airport.

Total passenger numbers were down 13% in 2011 to a little over 1.2m. Over the same period, passenger numbers at Bristol Airport rose 1% to more than 5.7m, with 700,000 of those coming from Wales. There was a further fall in the first half of 2012 to 440,000 from 558,000 - a decline the airport blamed on the departure of low-cost airline bmibaby.

Last week, the Conservatives in the Welsh assembly called on the Welsh government to prove its plan to buy Cardiff Airport would be good value for the taxpayer. But ministers defended their plans, saying they have public opinion on their side.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 19:06:06 »

You beet me to it chris.  Wink

Anyway I have noticed that this article hasnt mentioned that services will also be serving Bristol City Centre. That could prove popular with some people especially if there is free wi-fi available.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 20:48:18 »

I doubt whether FGW (First Great Western) will be quaking in their boots. Greyhound's track record so far has been very patchy, having pulled out of the Glasgow to London and South Coast to London market the only service left is Cardiff to Swansea.  I was amused that on their website they have a whole tab given over to the Isle of Wight which, er, they no longer serve.

The centre of Cardiff to Bristol Airport via Bristol centre in 1 hr 40 mins strikes me as a bit of a push, especially in the rush hour.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 21:12:40 »

I doubt whether FGW (First Great Western) will be quaking in their boots.

I doubt it too. Seeing as both FGW and Greyhound share the same parent company.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 22:23:11 »

It will be interesting to see how well this service performs. I cant really see there being much demand between Cardiff  & Newport with Newport Bus running their service X30 every 20 minutes. Of course I wonder where Greyhound will accept the bus passes between Cardiff & Newport

SWT (South West Trains) did used to run the shuttle 100 through to Bristol at one time before they cut it back to Cardiff due to lack of demand between Cardiff & Bristol. Service 100 has always been well used between Cardiff & Swansea although it has been reduced in frequency over the years.

I think once electrification is completed to Swansea and a more frequent rail service offered between Cardiff & Swansea I can see there being some reduction in passenger numbers using the greyhound service.

My final point I certaibnly agree about the tight journey times between Cardiff & Bristol is certainly going to be extremely tight especially when the coaches get caught up in all the traffic along the M4 around the Brynglas tunnels and close to the jct between the M4 & M5
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:32 »

@Anthony
I was thrown by 'SWT (South West Trains)'.  You meant First did you not?  Looking up Greyhound UK (United Kingdom)'s web site, I see they have withdrawn from nearly everywhere.  I would think that they have a good chance of extracting Lulsgate pax from their cars.  When I travel from the silver parking there, Welsh pax tell me that they get lost around Bristol as of course, as we are aware Bristol chose to push for Lulsgate (which it owned at the time) instead of Filton (which it did not own).  So Welsh pax have this continued inconvenience.  By taking the Greyhound bus, pax will save the car parking fee at Lulsgate (typically ^30 per week, so ^60 for a typical holiday).  Whether the service will extract from FGW (First Great Western) is less certain.  A good, frequent and inexpensive service already runs from TM(resolve) to Lulsgate.  I wonder if it could be better promoted to the Welsh market with attractive all-in tickets?  Airport travel is a massive earner for railway companies, where access is made convenient and cheap travel can be booked at the same time as the air travel.  It cannot at present because if one booked to travel from Lulsgate to Split (say) in August, one could not book a rail ticket to Lulsgate.  One can book one's car parking at Lulsgate silver parking or any other of the many choices there now.  This is a huge competitive disadvantage for rail, whether we are talking about Rhoose, Lulsgate, or any other airport.

The answer appears simple to my simple mind.  Allow pax to book tickets up to a year in advance, and make them available on any service outside the peak.  In other words, be commercial.   
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:27 »

By SWT (South West Trains)  I meant South Wales Transport shortly after it became part of the Badgerline group and then part of First Group before the name was replaced by First Cymru.

Still as you said It could be a sucess and lets hope it is and hopefully servies will be timed to allow easy commuting from Bristol to Cardiff as well as some later evening services since the last service from Swansea is at 18:15.

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 13:22:38 »

Both Bristol and Cardiff Airports seem to be on the wrong side of their respective cities for easy access for the majority of passengers.  Cardiff's rail link is a brave effort, but the very slow (nearly two hours from Yatton) hourly service and bus connection cannot compete with the car or the direct buses from Cardiff city centre.  Bristol's dedicated airport buses offer a good service if you are travelling from the city, but if I want to use public transport from Clevedon, it is a major exercise and only possible if I fly out or land within a restricted time period.  The taxis do a good trade. 

As has been pointed out, the main competition to rail/bus connections from Wales, the M4 is regularly jammed both around Newport and Bristol.  I think if I was advising someone travelling from West Wales to Bristol Airport, I would still be suggesting the train and bus from Bristol TM(resolve) as long as they don't need a very early arrival.

Ah yes...South Wales Transport  Roll Eyes RIP. One of its former Chief Engineers lives nearby.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: