Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:28:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff Airport - recent developments, including road and railbus links - ongoing discussion  (Read 24788 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 22:57:20 »

Not surprised to be honest with everyone. I have seen this service on a number of occasions and the maximum number of passengers has always been between 3 & 5 not counting the driver.

All this money spent could have been better used to improve the former service X91 back when it served the airport (No longer does because of the T9) including a full clockface hourly/half hourly service with early morning an late evening services with buses also serving Aberthaw, St Athan and Llantwit Major. The boss of Cardiff Bus at teh time made a comment in local press about why bother with such a service when you could improve teh existing service.

Brewers/SWT (South West Trains) & Cardiff bus all tried running dedicated express servicees to the airport non of which were a sucess the cloest being Cardiff Buses attempt when they merged services X90 & X91 to have a full hourly service between Cardiff & Llantwit Major via the airport which inccidently was faster than the current T9 (Seing as it never went via Cardiff Bay) and passengers  could by a wide varierty of tickets.

Currently the only alternative is the railink bus & train on on New Adventure Travels  service 303/304 Bridgend - Barry and change for a service to Cardiff in Barry.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 23:16:35 »

Having a relative who works at Cardiff Airport, I fear that the bus patronage is indicative of the much more serious situation at the Welsh capital's airport.  If there was not a national boundary between us, I suspect no-one would be suggesting Bristol and Cardiff should be competing within a relatively few miles of each other.

I did see four people travel by the Vale of Glamorgan line once (!) to Rhoose with heavy suitcases presumably for the airport.  But they were travelling from Llantwit Major to the west. On the other seven journeys I have made on the line no-one seems to have used the train for the airport.

I note First Greyhound appear to have a thriving business with coaches to Bristol Airport from South Wales.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 02:25:49 »

Having a relative who works at Cardiff Airport, I fear that the bus patronage is indicative of the much more serious situation at the Welsh capital's airport

March 2013, http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?p=2194 :

Cardiff^s passengers have declined from around 2 million in 2007 to just over 1 million in 2012, as many have chosen Bristol airport instead.  Bristol airport is now concerned that Cardiff would now unfairly benefit from state support. Cardiff was hit by the loss of bmibaby in 2011.  The airport^s board will try and get in a commercial operator and hopes to attract long haul and transatlantic flights. Only recently there was news that Swiss airline Helvetic will pull out of Cardiff, 2 years after the Welsh government spent ^500,000 marketing Wales in Switzerland.

December 2013, http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/flybe-cuts-services-cardiff-paris-6370182

Budget airline Flybe has confirmed that two routes from Cardiff to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Glasgow will be withdrawn with effect from January next year.

Not all bad news: http://www.uk-airport-news.info/cardiff-airport-news.htm

22.12.13 Cardiff Airport expects 20,000 passengers over Christmas
22.12.13 Ski flights return to Cardiff Airport after three year absence
21.12.13 First Minister: New airline 'shows potential' of Cardiff Airport
21.12.13 Aviation group celebrates as new airlines and routes launched from Cardiff Airport
20.12.13 New flights see more passengers at Cardiff Airport this Christmas
20.12.13 CityJet picks up Flybe routes at Cardiff
19.12.13 More new services including long-haul cruise flights from Cardiff Airport
19.12.13 Cardiff Airport boss: new routes 'encouraging'

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 03:02:51 »

Also being doing some maths on the potential market size

Cardiff airport ... 1 million passenger per annum, 48 runs round daily on T9 ... if every passenger used those buses, there would be 18 passengers per bus.

Bristol airport ... 6.3 million passenger per annum, 97 runs round daily on route A1 ... if every passenger used those buses, there would be 88 passengers per bus.

Not totally fair - you have 18 runs on te 905 (?) also to Cardiff.  You have the A4 (19 round trips / how is that doing?) and the Bristol Greyhound (15 round trips?) also to Bristol.  And note - I have not allowed for airport staff, but then neither have I suggested what proportion of passengers might use the bus (and I can't easily find mode splits for airport arrivals via Google - anyone?)

I also looked at long term parking - see if that made a difference:
Bristol - long stay official, gate price, 1 week - 67.00
Cardiff - long stay official, gate price, 1 week - 65.50

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 01:36:20 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Cardiff Airport flights scrapped by Germanwings

It was hoped the airline would boost tourism from Germany

A German airline is ending its flights between Cardiff and Dusseldorf.

Germanwings told BBC Wales the summer service would not return in 2015 as the route "did not meet our expectations".

The airline is owned by Lufthansa - Europe's largest operator - and launched the route in 2013.

Cardiff Airport said it was in discussions with a number of airlines including Germanwings about developing routes between Wales and Germany, including Dusseldorf.

Spencer Birns, the airport's aviation and business development director, said: "The Dusseldorf-Cardiff route has operated successfully over the past two years as a summer-only service focused on bringing German visitors to Wales. The reports circulating today regarding the service for next year are misleading as we are in discussions with a number of airlines - including Germanwings - regarding continuing the development of services linking Wales to Germany for 2015 and beyond, which includes the Dusseldorf route. This is in line with good commercial practice."

Welsh Conservative leader Andrew RT Davies said it was "extremely worrying news" for the airport after the loss of flights to Glasgow.

The Welsh government has been asked to comment.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 16:24:46 »

I think 'Cardiff' Airport is rather uselessly suituated in terms of other transport links, far from the main line railway and M4. How could it ever hope to compete with Bristol? Of course neither airport has a rail link, but Bristol is more centrally located within the south-west of Great Britain.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 19:47:08 »

... but is still a long way from a motorway or main railway station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 22:54:05 »

I think the answer to the question "Could Cardiff Airport form a new UK (United Kingdom) hub?" is "Dim". As indeed is the outlook.

There are 5 flights tomorrow between 6am and 8.20am. One is a six-way code share to Amsterdam, one is a local hop to Ynys Mon. Bristol sees 16 departures in the same period. Political will and subsidy will ensure Cardiff's survival. It does not seem as though there is a queue of operators wanting to fly from there.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 00:20:42 »

Cardiff airport is 10.1 miles from j33 of the M4. Bristol airport is 18.7 miles from J23 of M5 and 12.5 miles from J18 of M5. J23 for people from south, J18 for people from the north.
I always check Cardiff flights out when going away but always seems limited choice.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 02:36:16 »

Airfields / airstrips that are / were near main roads and/or main railways in the Wider Bristol Area have included Filton, Hullavington and Kemble.  Is it more than a co-incidence that none of these has been / was turned into a regional hub?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:34 »

Airfields / airstrips that are / were near main roads and/or main railways in the Wider Bristol Area have included Filton, Hullavington and Kemble.  Is it more than a co-incidence that none of these has been / was turned into a regional hub?

Surely it's just the case that whilst most people want an airport within easy reach, few people want to live near one. This means that established airports, even if they aren't in the best place (Heathrow anyone?) tend to be developed whilst new ones don't.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 12:38:10 »

I'm not an expert when it comes to flight routes in and out of Cardiff airport but looking at Google maps it looks like the approach from the South East is mainly over the Bristol Channel. I would like to think that an aircraft landing at Cardiff from this direction would not be the cause of alot of noise if decending from over English landfall.

Looking at the land to the NW of the Airport there does not seem to be much in the way of concentrated development under the flight path under the approach to Cardiff.

Am I right in think that the runway at Cardiff is more suitable for larger aircraft than Bristol? I seem to remember they service 747-xxx Aircraft at Cardiff although I accept they will be lightly loaded on arrival/departure from Cardiff
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 13:39:19 »

I'm not an expert when it comes to flight routes in and out of Cardiff airport but looking at Google maps it looks like the approach from the South East is mainly over the Bristol Channel. I would like to think that an aircraft landing at Cardiff from this direction would not be the cause of alot of noise if decending from over English landfall.

Looking at the land to the NW of the Airport there does not seem to be much in the way of concentrated development under the flight path under the approach to Cardiff.

Am I right in think that the runway at Cardiff is more suitable for larger aircraft than Bristol? I seem to remember they service 747-xxx Aircraft at Cardiff although I accept they will be lightly loaded on arrival/departure from Cardiff

I'm no expert either, but looking at it on Google Maps I think I can see the downside of its location... what it needs to make it a success is a fixed crossing roughly between Penarth and Weston S M. Investment like that, and a bit of political will, could form the basis of a 'Western Powerhouse' linking Bristol, Cardiff, Bath and Newport. Lundy Megacity, anyone?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 15:12:45 »

I'm no expert either, but looking at it on Google Maps I think I can see the downside of its location... what it needs to make it a success is a fixed crossing roughly between Penarth and Weston S M. Investment like that, and a bit of political will, could form the basis of a 'Western Powerhouse' linking Bristol, Cardiff, Bath and Newport. Lundy Megacity, anyone?

The current fixed crossings of the Severn estuary appear to work perfectly well at the moment as everyone just goes to Bristol or Heathrow airports...Airlines and passengers just don't seem to be interested in Cardiff airport at all and it seems that is the viscous circle preventing further development.

The runway is indeed copiously lengthy, on account of BA» (British Airways - about) having a heavy maintenance base located on the airfield, which handles aircraft up to B747-400 size. The BA Airbus A380 has also paid a visit, so presumably once these are commonplace in BA's fleet, they will also be maintained at Cardiff.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2014, 15:13:09 »

Correct.  The runway at Cardiff is 2,392m, which is longer than Bristol's (which is very short) but not that long.  It can only handle large a/c when they are empty.  As an example an A380-800 at maximum take off weight needs 2,700m.  If Cardiff became a hub it would need more runways and longer ones.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: