Short Run
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:35:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1045266 times)
willc

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 22:45:15 »

It's official - and since the minister has broken the embargo the likes of me were told to observe I can let the rest of you know before the morning.

Lord Adonis's article in The Times is here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6723747.ece

From what I have been told, the GWML (Great Western Main Line) project will be in three phases, don't know how these break down yet, but perhaps Reading, Oxford, Newbury area first, then on to Bristol and finally Cardiff and Swansea. I say this because Adonis hints that the extra Thames Valley DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) will now be EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) instead - which may account for the delay to the order and the disappearance of 40-odd FGW (First Great Western) vehicles from the tally Roger Ford keeps, which was mentioned in the Portsmouth-Cardiff thread. These DMUs were slated for a late 2012 or early 2013 delivery anyway, so you could probably have made some headway on wiring the Thames Valley by then ready for EMUs in their place.

At present, they are budgeting ^ ^ ^ ^1.1bn for GMWL work and Liverpool to Manchester on the classic George Stephenson route via Rainhill, so a nice nod to Brunel and Britain's other key railway pioneer.

PS One thing I did forget earlier is the age of Oxford's signals - have to wonder it would be worth immunising kit that is due to be torn out by 2015 or so.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 13:28:44 by grahame » Logged
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 23:14:56 »

A key item that should protect GWML (Great Western Main Line) (and MML» (Midland Main Line. - about)) electrification against the coming 20% spending cuts is that the BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio)'s (Computed benefits/nett costs) are "infinite", in accountancy terms, as the nett costs are less than zero, it being cheaper to electrify over a given service life than to keep buying MTU (Motor Traction Unit) power units.

Pity it's taken 12 years for Labour to be true to itself.

Thank you Gordon (although weren't your Blair's Chancellor?).

OTC
IanC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 23:15:17 »

It was the main story of Today's (Wednesday) BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West about electrification, where it was stated it would take up to 8 years to complete with the South Wales Main Line also expected to be 'converted'.

More would be revealed on Thursday's show they said.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 23:16:53 »

Great news, though one can only hope that the project survives the likely change of government next year. Adonis talks of it starting immediately, though as we know, that won't mean the first support foundations being piled next week. I can't see any work starting on the ground before the election, so it would be an easy project to can (unlike Crossrail where there seems a concerted effort to start boring the tunnels early next year, making cancellation very difficult).

So what will be the most difficult bits? Tunnels presumably - I guess the work required in the Severn Tunnel would make Swindon - Kemble redoubling a done deal given the need for ST blockages. Any others need lowering? A closure at Box could mean the reinstatement of Bradford North curve.  

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:50 »

Great news, though one can only hope that the project survives the likely change of government next year. Adonis talks of it starting immediately, though as we know, that won't mean the first support foundations being piled next week. I can't see any work starting on the ground before the election, so it would be an easy project to can (unlike Crossrail where there seems a concerted effort to start boring the tunnels early next year, making cancellation very difficult).

So what will be the most difficult bits? Tunnels presumably - I guess the work required in the Severn Tunnel would make Swindon - Kemble redoubling a done deal given the need for ST blockages. Any others need lowering? A closure at Box could mean the reinstatement of Bradford North curve.  

The route has been survived with a HD video, which parts of this I have seen, this is giving the designers enough information so they can target areas that need more detailed surveying before outline designs are made, this HD video gave the NR» (Network Rail - home page) team sufficient detail to give DfT» (Department for Transport - about) the cost of the electrification.   There are a few tough areas for equipment but far fewer than when the WCML (West Coast Main Line) was done 40 years ago.

The work may not be done in a linear way, that is you may see foundations being put in say between Didcot and Swindon and then left and then foundation being put in somewhere else then the masts might go up.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
jakemonkfish

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:15:20 »

Local news was reporting london to bristol parkway and on to Waleswith a connection to Temple Meads - if this is correct then Swindon-Bristol via Bath and the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) will miss out. Bath as the new Melksham...
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:01:05 »

The report is now on the DFT (Department for Transport) Website.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:28 »

Local news was reporting london to bristol parkway and on to Waleswith a connection to Temple Meads - if this is correct then Swindon-Bristol via Bath and the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) will miss out. Bath as the new Melksham...

the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) report (which has a photo of HST (High Speed Train) at Bath Spa on the front of it) shows the route through Bath and Box tunnel as part of the electrification plans
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:49:40 »

Planned Routes
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58:59 »

Excellent news.... I didn't really believe they would do it, so for the first time in years my cynicism about something has turned out to be wrong!  Grin

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have said that they are now considering extending Crossrail to Reading as it will be electrified anyway, presumably this will get the go-ahead unless they are completely crazy.

Overall though I think they are still being too cautious -- assuming London-Sheffield goes ahead, surely it would be daft not to add sensible infill projects such as Oxford - Birmingham, Bristol - Birmingham - Derby, Sheffield - Leeds and York, Transpennine routes, etc. Especially now that, by authorising Liverpool - Manchester, they've broken the rule that all electrified mainlines lead to London.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:00:38 »

Lord Adonis on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) new website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8164070.stm

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 11:05:04 »

Very good news! Would anyone like to speculate about what side effects are likely to result from this, in terms of stock being cascaded and surplus diesel stock being made available for other/new diagrams?
jakemonkfish

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:14:14 »

Thanks for the map - but I am now wondering if John Penrose was correct to worry about trains from Weston as long term lack of wires means all trains will either finish in Bristol or need some clever solution to get to the 'sunny south west'. This assumes that the Weston-Worle redoubling occurs, increasing access for electric trains with no power supply. If you live further out ( Highbridge, Bridgewater or Taunton, or even Devon) then what?

Yes I'm a happy soul this morning - but there is more to the westcountry than Bristol and South Wales and it is good news really I just want more . What is the opposite of a NIMBY?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 11:22:20 »

In the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) statement it states the 202 DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) vehicle order is superseded and a replacement for the rolling stock plan is to be produced.

This electrification programme radically affects the requirements for rolling
stock over the next decade. There will be far less need for diesel trains and
a greater requirement for electric trains. In particular, the previously-planned
procurement by the Government of new diesel trains has now been
superseded. We will accordingly publish a new rolling stock plan in the
autumn, taking account of the changed circumstances.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/railelectrification.pdf

Sounds like most of the mooted new DMU vehicles won't now happen at all, so there will be plenty of internal cascades necessary just to sort out routes such as Cardiff - Portsmouth. If you recall I mentioned on Monday that Roger Ford had drawn ateention to the 44 vehicles having disappeared, and as I've posted in the past, the various RUSs (Route Utilisation Strategy) include gauge clearance for use of Turbos on the Pompey route...

Paul
Wolvercote Wanderer

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 11:33:53 »

This is great news!

But how do you think will it affect direct London services which currently terminate just beyond the new electric lines i.e. Carmarthen, Bedwyn or Weston-super-Mare?

I can't see a diesel service running 'under-the-wires' just for these relatively short extensions to mainline services.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: