Delayed
07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 08:45:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[125] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[65] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[15] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Depots / stabling points / signing on points  (Read 3749 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:12:09 »

To help me understand the metrics of the possible at future timetable changes, and to help me understand issue currently around, can someone please check / confirm this list.   Service bases bolded (for 14x 15x and 16x units) with stabling and crew start / end points grouped below each service base.    Not looking at HST (High Speed Train) or IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) depots, though I suppose short HSTs (do we have an official class number for them?) will be based somewhere?

Bristol St Phillip's Marsh
Gloucester
Westbury
Weymouth
Fratton

Reading Traincare Depot
Oxford
Paddington?

Exeter St Davids
Plymouth
Par
Penzance

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 12:24:16 »

Reading Traincare Depot.
I think Redhill (Southern drivers) and maybe even Worcester.  Two locations where units are regularly repainted
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 17:52:44 »

Don't forget Maidenhead and West Ealing and potentially Didcot

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 20:19:04 »

I am not sure about the other sectors but this is the current set up on the West sector.

West units are maintained at St Philips Marsh with an outbase at Exeter St Davids, although the construction of the new depot at Exeter will allow them to undertake work that currently requires units to be sent to Bristol. As well as maintenance, routine servicing and fuelling are undertaken at these locations

Plymouth Laira and Penzance Long Rock depots provide fuelling and minor fuel point repairs to West units.

Cardiff Canton (Arriva Trains Wales) and Fratton (South Western Railway) are used to fuel a number of west units each evening for the first few services.

Other locations that stable units will be cleaning and toilet tank replenishment only, such as Bristol Temple Meads, Gloucester, Weymouth and Westbury.

Other locations can be used for the overnight stabling of units, for example during engineering works. Taunton, Salisbury, Southampton and Eastleigh have all been used in recent times, with crews being booked taxis to and from signing on points.

West crew signing on points are found at Penzance, Par, Exeter, Bristol, Gloucester, Fratton and Westbury, with a conductors only depot at Weymouth (technically a sub depot of Westbury). The HSS (High Speed Services) depots at Penzance, Plymouth and Exeter work West services (both drivers and train managers). At Bristol, currently only the train managers work West Services. Cardiff (train managers only, no drivers based there) also work West Services.

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) drivers are still used to work some services between Cardiff and Bristol.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 20:33:54 »

I am not sure about the other sectors but this is the current set up on the West sector.

That is fantastically useful, thank you;  noticing no stabling or booking on point at Worcester, and sadly nothing at all at the former railway town of Swindon.   I was wondering about a 165 parking up in the bay there overnight, giving a late train from Bristol and a thickener of the early service back.

They're for electric train drivers and units, though?   Will electric drivers be a breed apart from diesel drivers?

Reading Traincare Depot.
I think Redhill (Southern drivers) and maybe even Worcester.  Two locations where units are regularly repainted

Interesting thoughts;  Worcester seems to contradict RA's input -  I know HSTs (High Speed Train) are outstabled (Hereford too?) but crews book on and taxi from Bristol?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 21:02:43 »

That is fantastically useful, thank you;  noticing no stabling or booking on point at Worcester, and sadly nothing at all at the former railway town of Swindon.   I was wondering about a 165 parking up in the bay there overnight, giving a late train from Bristol and a thickener of the early service back.

They're for electric train drivers and units, though?   Will electric drivers be a breed apart from diesel drivers?

Reading Traincare Depot.

Interesting thoughts;  Worcester seems to contradict RA's input -  I know HSTs (High Speed Train) are outstabled (Hereford too?) but crews book on and taxi from Bristol?

Worcester depot use to be train managers and catering staff only but now has HSS (High Speed Services) drivers as well. Turbos still go through to Worcester but I can’t remember if they are still stabled there on a regular basis.
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 21:20:21 »

There is a depot at Worcester as a-driver says, but as it has nothing to do with the operation of West services I didn't include it on my list. Apologies if this caused any confusion.

The last signing on point to be located in Swindon closed in the late 1990's. It was located under the Signal Point tower block and was laterly operated by English, Welsh & Scottish Railway (EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), now DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Cargo) as it became a freight depot following sectorisation. With a reduction in local freight traffic and with Didcot and Westbury freight driver depots nearby, it was surplus to requirements. One of the Swindon jobs used to be the infamous 'Avon Binliner'.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 21:51:08 by RA » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 23:18:32 »

Turbos are stabled at Worcester on Friday and Saturday nights, usually one on Friday and two on Saturday.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:44 »

A couple of posts on Railforums

[/quote]I was told recently there will be 10 TM(resolve) vacancies at Worcester next year, though I would expect most of them to be covered by transfers from other depots and promotions from Customer Host.

It's quite interesting, as a rather remote depot for GWR (Great Western Railway) it's historically been a 'dead man's shoes' sort of depot.

I would say though it's a great place to work.[/quote]

and

The company will never give out details of what it specifically requires. Simply because it doesn't know. Not that it would tell you if it did.

Can't speak for other roles, but all the current driver jobs have been filled by qualified internals and there are a dozen qualified internals with their name on the list for next year's expansion

So no likely shortages there!

I was wondering about a 165 parking up in the bay there overnight, giving a late train from Bristol and a thickener of the early service back.

But turbos will continue to be serviced at Reading (those on the branches/Gatwick services) so maybe with an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move SWI» (Swindon - next trains)/RDG(resolve) at end/beginning of day you might find a possibility there?

Will electric drivers be a breed apart from diesel drivers?

yup, I reckon - I doubt very much whether (m~)any will sign both.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 13:50:58 »

387s are driven by LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers, so drivers that also drive the turbos. I don't know how many drivers are yet to learn them though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: