Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:06:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046650 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2009, 18:17:56 »

It has been reported in one of the mags (you can look it up) that the HST (High Speed Train)'s are being considered for life-extension until 2030, as suggested a few posts above......
Sounds good to me as nothing yet that has been built for IC (Inter City) services comes anywhere near the quality of an HST. Ohhh okay maybe class 91 and MK4, they're not bad either.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2009, 21:57:38 »

Mk III coaches are good. Don't knock them - especially when you've got a few more tables in like the good ole days.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2009, 11:46:55 »

I donmt see the concervatives scrapping the lectrification swcheme for teh great western simply because it will allow them to reduce the amount of subsidy they have to pay out as the electric trains are cheaper to operate.

also i have noticed that maybe the wires should be extended from Bristol to exeter st davids as this will mean that the Cardiff - Taunton & Weston Super Mare - Bristol Parkway services will be able to be operated using a few EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'S thus meaning that FGW (First Great Western) will be able to save at least 8 dmus which could help to boost capacity elsewhere
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2009, 12:20:47 »

also i have noticed that maybe the wires should be extended from Bristol to exeter st davids as this will mean that the Cardiff - Taunton & Weston Super Mare - Bristol Parkway services will be able to be operated using a few EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'S thus meaning that FGW (First Great Western) will be able to save at least 8 dmus which could help to boost capacity elsewhere
If you are going to electrify as far as Exeter St Davids you may as well continue though to Plymouth assuming the Dawlish Sea Wall does not prevent this.  Most intercity trains do not terminate at Exeter but continue through to Plymouth so if the electrification did end at Exeter diesel would be required for the section from Exeter to Plymouth.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2009, 21:06:22 »

Which neatly brings us back to a topic I raised earlier/in another thread ie whether the old Southern route over Datmoor should be looked at or the old GWR (Great Western Railway) route around the back of the coast?

The coastal route is great - and I spent many happy journeys on it in the late 50s and early 60s with steam - but I'm not sure it's good for long term electrification.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2010, 19:22:55 »

When it was announced back in July last year that the GWML (Great Western Main Line) was to be electrified, on the news reports I watched it said that the work to begin electrifying the Great Western mainline would begin immediately. That was on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), ITN, and Sky News. Now I didn't expect that to mean the work would begin that day or even that month.   But we are now some 9 months later in April, and there is still no sign of the physical work of the GWML actually being electrified.  So what's happening?   Is electrification of the GWML another of those things which never ends up actually going ahead?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2010, 19:30:41 »

Suggest asking that question after the general election but me thinks it could be kicked into the long grass for a few more years now IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) looks dead in the water. So another refurb/refit for the GW (Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) fleet in a few years time?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2010, 21:05:51 »

Work in the drawing office is still progress. It was always going to be ages ( a couple of years) before any masts started appearing beside the track IMHO (in my humble opinion).

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2010, 08:11:37 »

Paul is correct there is a team working on the development, the process still has to follow GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) at each GRIP stage there are number of deliverables that have to be meet to secure funding for the next stage.  The GWML (Great Western Main Line) is being developed at the same time as the other routes announced.  There is also collaboration between the GWML project and Crossrail.

My guess is, provided GWML electrification gets the funding it will do the Crossrail electrification area first.

Post election may have an effect of the whole scheme, part of the scheme or have no effect at all as has been the case since the First World War the UK (United Kingdom) railway is in the hands of the vagaries of the politicians

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2010, 14:08:30 »

I have heard the welsh assembly have said they would be willing to put some money forward to have the wires through to Swansea.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2010, 15:57:49 »

The approved scheme includes wiring as far as Swansea.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2010, 15:07:36 »

Well, the investment roller-coaster continues. 

GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification now looking in some doubt: http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/general/2010/06/16-electrification-looking-increasingly-unlikely-soon.html

Whilst Crossrail which was looking in some doubt (in terms of its full scope) now appears to be safe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10323035.stm

Whatever happens, for goodness sake let's get Crossrail extended to Reading!

We'll see what the situation is next week...  Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2010, 15:54:09 »

Interesting... I'm sure I read in the last issue of RAIL (well, possibly the last but one because it takes them a few weeks to find their way into my mailbox Stateside) a quote from Phillip Hammond in which he indicated that they were committed to GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification.

What seems to be the prevailing attitude of "HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) at all costs and b*gg*r the rest of the network" seems to be utterly ludicrous to me. If there are limited resources available (which there most certainly are!) why on earth are huge sums being p*ssed up the wall on a "nice-to-have" vanity project like HS2 which will benefit a relatively limited number of people when that same amount of money could be making vast improvements for millions of passengers on the existing rail network?

Easy solution: ditch HS2 for now: it's not as if it was ever going to be in action quickly anyway, and what appears to be the current plan just to build London to Birmingham would result in a pretty vestigial high-speed line that just duplicates one of the country's fastest and most frequent rail services anyway. Instead, spend the money on GWML electrification/new rolling stock/RDG(resolve) and BHM upgrades. Is this really that complicated? HS2 is a project that we can always come back to in due course when the money's actually available.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2010, 16:07:46 »

A similar comment from the Press Association casting severe doubt on GW (Great Western) electrification, and I guess too on North West fill in electrification.

HSTs (High Speed Train) and DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for ever it seems with Crossrail getting no further west than Maidenhead.

Happy times ahead!
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2010, 16:08:52 »

Whoops - link here
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gfGpowdYRyv4vzIDAZAxhpMZD5SA

Sorry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: