No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 22:08:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1053005 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: May 22, 2017, 09:09:11 »

When I arrived at Maidenhead this morning at 08:11, platform 4 seemed far busier than it has been in recent weeks!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 22, 2017, 14:55:18 »

I wonder how many carriages they'll manage to put on for these two trains then.. Not sure it's worth the risk of finding out it's a whole two carriages  Undecided

A 5-car Turbo was used this morning, and should be used again this evening, so not too bad.

Realtime trains suggests the 6.56 departure only made it as far as Taplow before there was an issue with the doors..aLso they were handing out leaflets at Maidenhead this morning about the increased capacity.. Let's hope they get the service sorted for tomorrow..

Yes, not too sure of the details but it looked like it went to West Ealing empty and was swapped for another two 387s in time for the next passenger working, so not to he perfect start GWR (Great Western Railway) was hoping four, but not an all out disaster either.

We'll see how tonight and tomorrow morning shape up...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 22, 2017, 19:00:19 »

It looks like the 7.33am is a turbo again tomorrow.. So much for Electric trains Smiley
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 22, 2017, 19:24:03 »

I just asked on Twitter how long this problem is likely to go on for and got the reply "Network Rail are working on the issue but I can't provide a date for when it will be sorted I'm afraid".. Doesn't sound terribly hopeful.. After all the years we've needed this extra capacity someone didn't check out that the electrics were going to work for the...erm..electric trains  Roll Eyes Huh Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 22, 2017, 20:58:28 »

I was on the 06:28 this morning, left on time arrived at Padd on time.   Oh and plenty of seats to chose from   Smiley  Better that my usual 07:02 where its difficult find even standing space  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 23, 2017, 00:12:16 »

Decided to try out the 19:12 this evening, still many seats available, with various off and ons at Ealing and Hayes, along with a mass exodus at West Drayton leaving it fairly empty with less than 10 people in my carriage for the remainder of the journey.

Here is the 19:12 having come in to Maidenhead on Platform 5, with the 19:36 having just arrived on Platform 3.

Hadn't got round to trying a 387 out before, very happy with my journey, plenty of leg room and pleasant AC on what had been a muggy afternoon. Looking forward to a larger rollout, power supply pending  Roll Eyes

I know the odd late running freight was in the area but one slight problem I saw was by the time the units on Platform 5 had returned towards London, the service from Bourne End was being held on the branch, I hope this doesn't happen to often in the future.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 23, 2017, 08:33:03 »

I had to work in Ealing today so I took the 0635 Turbo from TWY (Twyford station) to MAI (Maidenhead station) and then I hung around there for the 0656 Cl.387 service which today had no door problems at Taplow or indeed anywhere else! Very nice smooth comfortable journey with plenty of seats for everyone and so good not to have to push my way out at EAL (Ealing Broadway Station). Not looking forward to a noisy hot plodding return journey on a Turbo later.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 23, 2017, 08:50:13 »

I wonder when the overhead line damage occurred then as the 0733 & others from Maidenhead were 3 car turbos, very cosy! (According to GWR (Great Western Railway) this was due to OHL (Over-Head Line) damage)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 23, 2017, 08:57:30 »

I was on the 7.33 today and it was actually not too overcrowded at all.. Probably helped by it starting at Maidenhead empty rather than the train which it replaces (the 7.29) which used to arrive fairly full anyway.. It will be even better once it's 8 carriages  Grin
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:38 »

The 0811 on the other hand, was also a 3-car (down from 5) and was rammed solid!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2515 on: May 23, 2017, 09:24:36 »

I was on the 7.33 today and it was actually not too overcrowded at all.. Probably helped by it starting at Maidenhead empty rather than the train which it replaces (the 7.29) which used to arrive fairly full anyway.. It will be even better once it's 8 carriages  Grin

I have been asked if this improvement in services from Maidenhead three weeks before a general election is a co-incidence of timing, or if it's been hurried into life (e.g. electric supply issues) early to help the local MP (Member of Parliament), who I understand is a key person to the Conservatives.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2516 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:00 »

Neither.....planned well before that certain lady called the election.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:35 »

I was on the 7.33 today and it was actually not too overcrowded at all.. Probably helped by it starting at Maidenhead empty rather than the train which it replaces (the 7.29) which used to arrive fairly full anyway.. It will be even better once it's 8 carriages 

I have been asked if this improvement in services from Maidenhead three weeks before a general election is a co-incidence of timing, or if it's been hurried into life (e.g. electric supply issues) early to help the local MP (Member of Parliament), who I understand is a key person to the Conservatives.

Ahhhhh, so the whole, massive delay and cost increase to the  electrification programme was all a cunning Conservative plan to get the timing just right.....got it!  Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 23, 2017, 11:04:43 »

Neither.....planned well before that certain lady called the election.

For a source, Paddington/Maidenhead peak services in May 2017 is clearly supported by the details shown in the September 2016 track access application - the same TAA that dealt with the Greenford and Hayes changes.   

Of course it is later (perhaps about 9 months?) than expected compared to when first announced in the new franchise brief,  IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) (without looking it up) May 2017 was supposed to have had EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) running to Oxford.   

Paul
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 23, 2017, 11:45:31 »

It's not a good start to the new Maidenhead-Paddington electric services is it?

Doubt anyone who uses peak time services along the Thames Valley was that surprised after all the problems and delays of the past few years though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: