07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:09:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1045263 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2011, 18:19:56 »

Quote from me
Can I just also add to the wcml comment on gauge clearance, could it not be freight?

Quote from willc
Freight wagons have a completely different profile to passenger stock.

will, you didn't really read what i wrote or read the posts above it then did you?

or maybe you did, are you confirming that the wcml has had gauge clearance for freight due to the difference in profile compared to passenger stock

or do you not actually know?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2011, 23:55:58 »

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. According to Rhydgaled, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) specifically said the WCML (West Coast Main Line) would be cleared for use by IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) - and I was suggesting that this could be accounted for by the previous plan to use IEP on Northampton fasts, which is no longer happening - it is perfectly possible they may not have updated the route clearance paperwork to reflect that change of plan yet. And that wouldn't be surprising given how many times the project has changed over the years.

If the person responding for DfT just looked for references to WCML gauge clearance generally, then they would have found lots of stuff about W10 gauge clearance, which has been carried out all the way to Glasgow - but that is to allow 9ft 6in containers on standard flat wagons, and clearance for these would be neither here nor there in terms of passenger stock, which has a different profile, being lower, longer, with stepboards, etc. The key point about W10 is providing clearance at the top of the train to accommodate the containers. A standard container flat is 60ft, so much shorter than a 23.9m or 26m coach, and a container flat and its load is narrower than a passenger coach's body.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #662 on: April 18, 2011, 00:39:23 »

thank you for clearing that up will, i was simply asking a question about someone else's post,and at the time of reading your first reply i may have taken it the wrong way for which i am sorry
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #663 on: April 28, 2011, 10:08:06 »

Further article in the south wales evening post today about the DFT (Department for Transport) deciding not to extend the wires to Swansea:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/MP-alleges-weaknesses-rail-electrification-findings/article-3497799-detail/article.html

I do hope either the DFT change their minds or the welsh assembly  can find the money for it as it would enable a reduction in the number of Bi-mode IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s with more 8 carriage emu's being ordered
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #664 on: April 28, 2011, 10:26:14 »

Can't be long before the order is placed, can it?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 28, 2011, 10:59:31 »

No desperate urgency, since the first trains aren't needed for four years or so, to start testing ahead of 2016 entry into service, so still wriggle room to see if they can stitch up a deal to wire to Swansea in conjunction with Valley Lines electrification. Last month all the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) did was reconfirm Hitachi/Agility as preferred bidder and the reopening of negotiations with them on a contract. Indication was this and Agility putting finance in place would take most of the rest of this year.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #666 on: April 28, 2011, 11:03:47 »

Agility have just confirmed that their will be three (diesel) engines under a 5car dual-mode IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:02 »

Part of the problem with running the wires to Swansea is Signaling and Telecoms systems imunisation, however there are plans to resignal the Swansea / Cardiff line but this is a little way off, it will be started until after the GWML (Great Western Main Line) effected by electrification is done. 

A few other things may speed up the full electrification to Swansea; the political will of the Welsh Assembly post the elections next week, the GW (Great Western) franchise tendering process, the future of Network Rail (if NR» (Network Rail - home page) becomes history the future cohesion of electrification and resignalling could become history too)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
willc

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 28, 2011, 11:56:09 »

I'm not aware they had ever said (since the announcement at the start of March) that it wouldn't have three engines.

And here's an interesting one for the proponents of a big locomotive with a big diesel engine. DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) has just ordered 20 new diesel locos, with an option for up to 180 more - with four small engines in them. http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/single-view/view/db-regio-orders-multi-engine-traxx-diesel-locomotives.html
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #669 on: April 28, 2011, 12:06:40 »

Odd then that their website merntions a change in spec. Looks as though you missed that.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:47 »

Agility have just confirmed that their will be three (diesel) engines under a 5car dual-mode IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

Odd then that their website merntions a change in spec. Looks as though you missed that.

ChrisB. Rather than post information without sources and then follow it up with a snidey, 'I know something you don't' post, how about providing a url?

I've looked at Agility Trains' website and am struggling to find the information you are referring to.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:33:28 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #671 on: May 02, 2011, 19:03:36 »

You're right, I thought they'd have added it by now. I was talking to an Agility rep at a conference.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 02, 2011, 19:12:52 »

You're right, I thought they'd have added it by now. I was talking to an Agility rep at a conference.
There's the down fall a "rep" and not a design engineer or project manager

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #673 on: May 02, 2011, 19:16:57 »

He was involved in the project.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 02, 2011, 22:26:38 »

According to the latest May 2011 ^Modern Railway^ magazine in a speech during a visit to Swansea on April 1st,Prime Minister David Cameron said that he was looking at extending the wires to Swansea.The mags ^Informed Sources^column says that Cardiff-Swansea could be wired for well under ^100million,the cost saving of fewer bi-modes covering the return on investment and adding that with 45 bi-modes in the March 1st announcement the minimum viable quantity there is all to play for.
  Also it says Network Rail is debating the location for commissioning its electrification factory train due in 2013 known with the acronym HOOP(High Output Overhead-line Plant) with one suggestion that it be used on the Cardiff-Swansea line with the commissioning budget helping to partially offsett the cost of electrification there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: