I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:39:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046716 times)
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: July 18, 2013, 21:40:06 »

Will these be the electric units that end up working the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) routes from Paddington to Oxford and Newbury after a short stint on the Thameslink route.  And will that 'extended order' end up providing the trains that end up working the East-West Rail route after that has been electrified?
I reckon the extended order could just be for life on LTV. NR» (Network Rail - home page) expect 12 car trains to be needed in the future to keep up with demand on LTV.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 18, 2013, 21:58:09 »

Will these be the electric units that end up working the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) routes from Paddington to Oxford and Newbury after a short stint on the Thameslink route.  And will that 'extended order' end up providing the trains that end up working the East-West Rail route after that has been electrified?

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/southern-selects-bombardier-to-supply-trains-for-thameslink-cascade.html

Don't think these will find their way on to the GW (Great Western) or EWrail, Southern need more trains as it is in part to lengthen services (daft things like 12 cars on the Epsom's  Shocked   ) 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 18, 2013, 22:08:46 »

We'll see!  Southern won't exist from July 2015 by the time these trains arrive, and I'm a bit lost on what the effect of the expanded Thameslink network (and the new Siemens trains) will have on  existing services, and thus how much released stock will be available for other services, on Southern's current network.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 19, 2013, 16:46:39 »

More preparation:

B4040 closes at Luckington for rail electrification and waterpipe work

THE B4040 Luckington Road is due to be closed until August 5 while Network Rail works on the electrification of the main London to South Wales line.

Source: Wilts and Glos Standard

Given the short duration, I presume they will just be raising the parapet.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 19, 2013, 18:38:17 »

We'll see!  Southern won't exist from July 2015 by the time these trains arrive, and I'm a bit lost on what the effect of the expanded Thameslink network (and the new Siemens trains) will have on  existing services, and thus how much released stock will be available for other services, on Southern's current network.
The whole Thameslink service is supposed to operate with the (mystical) class 700's   I say mystical because we are building stuff to some pretty generic information.

There is also an expansion of Southeastern's services and lengthening which will require units, even with Southern ceasing after July 15 doesn't remove to increase in the number of trains and the lengthening.   The Investment Projects part of NR» (Network Rail - home page) is deep in Power Supply Enhancement works across all 3 dc routes in readiness for the Dec 2018 timetable change

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #860 on: July 26, 2013, 16:19:37 »

Here's a NR» (Network Rail - home page) blurb on the engineering train

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Groundbreaking-factory-train-to-cut-years-off-Great-Western-electrification-1e0d.aspx
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #861 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34:55 »

And a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) press release that refers to what stock is being transferred to run under the wires...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/commuters-to-benefit-from-state-of-the-art-electric-trains

The 116 new carriages will initially be used on the Thameslink route allowing the release of existing rolling stock to newly electrified routes across the country.

and

Once the new Thameslink rolling stock has been delivered these 116 carriages will also transfer to operate on newly electrified rou^s elsewhere in England.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:33 »

For a moment I thought they were referring to Class 116 units...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 31, 2013, 11:57:26 »

The way the dates pan out, I think we're probably now looking at the displaced 319s mostly going to the northwest, because they need suburban EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) before the GW (Great Western) needs them, and then the 'temporary extra' Thameslink Electrostar/377s coming to the GW - the latter are supposed to have been ordered with 110 mph capability.

I think any nominally spare 319s will still find a use somewhere in the wider Southern area of operations - anywhere four car units without gangways would be suitable, such as on the coastway between Brighton and Portsmouth/Southampton.

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 01, 2013, 18:03:45 »

They only need a handful though before 2016, which is when the majority of the GW (Great Western) requirement also becomes due. There are around 9 Class 317's lying idle IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), and it wouldn't surprise me to see those brought into use for the new Liverpool electric services which will happen in Dec 14.

Though I agree that 110mph stock would be better utilised on the GW than in the North West where the capability to run above 100mph will be worthless.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:22 »

From the Bath Chronicle:

Quote from: Bath Chronicle
Minister derails hopes of electrified rail line

A Government minister has given short shrift to a town^s plea to be included in the plans to electrify the railway line from London to the West, saying there is no ^business case^.

Civic leaders in Westbury had written to Transport Minister Simon Burns to call for the Reading to Westbury main line, which runs on through Somerset to Exeter, to be part of the project.

The line is being electrified to Bristol and South Wales, but is going only as far as Bedwyn station in east Wiltshire, not across to Westbury and Frome.

Mr Burns told them a feasibility report looked into extending to west Wiltshire and Somerset and decided it would not be cost-effective.

On a slightly brighter note, Duncan Hames (Chippenham MP (Member of Parliament)) is currently meeting the Transport Secretary to ask him about the new rail services that electrification makes possible, and the associated potential for trains to stop at Corsham.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #866 on: September 12, 2013, 13:10:04 »

I agreee a local service between Bristol and Chippenham/Swindon would be ideal especially it served new stations at Corsham and Royal Wotton Bassett.

Of course this assumes there is capacity on the GW (Great Western) between Wotton Basset Jct and Swindon although an emu would be easier to path
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #867 on: October 31, 2013, 15:51:26 »

It looks like work has started in earnest on electrification work between Reading and Didcot. After a few tubular steel piles were installed earlier this year near Pangbourne, piling for the OHLE masts is under way.  Currently these have been installed intermittently east of Cholsey and near Goring alongside the the down main and between Pangbourne station and the A329 overbridge next to the up relief.  There may be more but it was a bit difficult to spot from a HST (High Speed Train)  Grin

There was activity at the electrification stockpile at Moreton Cutting, east of Didcot today with lorries being loaded with steel piling when I passed by twice today.

It looks like Amey are not waiting for the arrival of the High Output train before starting work on this section of the line.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #868 on: October 31, 2013, 15:59:26 »

The High Output train arrived recently, didn't it?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2013, 16:12:43 »

The High Output train arrived recently, didn't it?

The NR» (Network Rail - home page) PR (Public Relations) in July only really mentioned the work going on towards completion by Windhoffs in Germany. 
AIUI (as I understand it) from discussion elsewhere it is planned to visit the NR test track at High Marnham, for testing and crew training. Will probably need all sorts of certification and passing trials given it is supposed to work alongside an open line...

In September Railway Gazette were reporting its completion:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/high-output-electrification-train-ready-to-roll.html 

I suspect it won't be seen 'in the wild' for a few months yet, in fact has Amey's contract to operate it actually started yet?

Paul 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: