Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:16:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046636 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #765 on: December 11, 2011, 01:36:32 »

Seems to require a log in now - I'm sure you used to be able to browse without an account though...

Paul

You can log into google using your youtube username & Password or hotmail log in details if you are already registered on them like i am
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 11, 2011, 12:33:52 »

uk.railway is not a private google forum - it's a 'usenet newsgroup' that Google happen to provide their own front end for. 

I don't have a password for hotmail or youtube.

Please don't provide links to password protected versions of information - as it is on usenet Woody could have just copied and pasted it here...

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 11, 2011, 13:12:11 »

I got in fine without logging in.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 11, 2011, 22:46:31 »

uk.railway is not a private google forum - it's a 'usenet newsgroup' that Google happen to provide their own front end for. 

I don't have a password for hotmail or youtube.

Please don't provide links to password protected versions of information - as it is on usenet Woody could have just copied and pasted it here...

Paul
It was not password protected I just browsed onto Uk railway google groups clicked on "intercity Express program" and there it was.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #769 on: December 11, 2011, 22:53:09 »

Hmm. It works for me, too, without problem - but then, I am logged in to both hotmail and youtube by default.

Purely to maintain the peace here, I'll take a bit of a flyer and quote what that particular post says:

Both FGW (First Great Western) and East Coast have told the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) that the Pendolino would be
ideal for those two main lines.
And - just to calm the anti-390 brigade - it isn't "the exact design"
that is the train type in question. It is the concept of the train in
terms of the distributed power, technical specs etc. and the way
Virgin work with Alstom that is being highlighted. In Italy last week
Alstom hosted Virgin and new Italian private operator NTV to talk
about their operations. Virgin explained how good the Alstom operation
is in terms of maintaining the trains and getting so many sets in
service every day. NTV said that their new AGV.italo fleet will be
maintained by Alstom in exactly the same way and Alstom said that
every enquiry they get about new train orders comes with "take us to
Longsight to show us how you do the job there."
As Jon has pointed out - a Pendolino-type train on a similar contract
to the Alstom one with Virgin would come it at about ^20,000 per
vehicle per month cheaper... work that out for 20 years and you soon
find the money to electrify to Swansea etc.
Alstom has also produced a design for a "simplified" Pendolino without
the front hatches and permanently accessible couplers. These could
couple to an Alstom diesel loco in a minute or two - and be ready to
move off "because the trains and locos would be designed to do this
from the start..."
Everyone - even people in the DfT are actually saying the ^20k a month
is "a low estimate" and confirm that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is still only backed by one
(we know who) civil servant - who, somehow, still seems to have
convinced ministers its a good idea.
Finally - as has been mentioned - nobody wants to actually finance the
IEP anyway. We know the DfT has now approached at least two of the
ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) begging them to take on the financing - both have told the DfT
where to stick the idea. (and if the experienced ROSCOs don't think
there is any money to be made will an inexperienced bank find the
money? - especially now they know that the existing ROSCOs aren't
interested?)
Tony

Chris from Nailsea  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 11, 2011, 22:55:29 »

It was not password protected I just browsed onto Uk railway google groups clicked on "intercity Express program" and there it was.

Weird - I wonder why they won't let me in then?   Have to do some digging - or buy a new PC or something...

Paul
homsar

View Profile Email
« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2012, 13:53:57 »

Agility submitted a planning application to the local council last week, is the news that FGW (First Great Western) passed on. Mayve a search of the council's planning srction on their website?

You mean something like this?

As a minor update, the website now claims that planning consent has been granted today, with apparently very little controversy.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #772 on: February 01, 2012, 15:32:42 »

Too be honest where they are putting the new depot in Swansea is an industrial site already so I am not too surprised that planning permission has been given already
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2012, 21:03:30 »

Just seen this posted on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes):

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/carbon-free-freight-trains-to-be-introduced-by-db-schenker-rail-uk/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 16, 2012, 21:32:34 »

Just seen this posted on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes):

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/carbon-free-freight-trains-to-be-introduced-by-db-schenker-rail-uk/
NR» (Network Rail - home page) are looking at its land and property assets with a view to its use for renewable energy generation

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 18, 2012, 23:07:33 »

The idea of NR» (Network Rail - home page) generating its own electricity and exporting the surplus, especially if it's green, is well worth pushing, now that there is no monolithic GEGB.

Wind/PV sources need nearly 100% backup to meet continuous demand and need Govt subsidy.

The combined heat and power system is also suitable for the railway; the waste heat being used for district (piped) heating in an urban area and for heat driven absorption cooling for industry. Typically the railway needs about 80MVA(e) at 40/50 mile intervals. Placed in urban areas where there is the heat/industry demand, small railway power stations might well improve electrification's chances, as the West of Cardiff scheme may indicate.

It may also be more efficient to generate 25kV 1ph directly rather than transmit, transform and split off a phase from the grid.

Lots Road lives again,

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 29, 2012, 15:35:46 »

An interesting article with an interview with Mark Langman, Network Rail's Wales Route Manager, with strong hints that electrification to Swansea, as well as the Valley Lines, is still very much on the agenda and strongly supported by Network Rail.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/need-to-read/2012/02/29/electrification-can-boost-welsh-economy-says-network-rail-s-managing-director-in-wales-mark-langman-91466-30426051/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: March 12, 2012, 22:35:32 »

From Railnews:

Quote from: Railnews
Welsh delegation calls for more electrification

A delegation of business people and politicians from south Wales has arrived in Westminster to urge a rethink on electrification.

The Great Western Main Line is set to be electrified from London as far as Cardiff Central, but many people in south Wales say the scheme should continue to Swansea.

Conservative AM Byron Davies is also calling for a South Wales Metro to be created, which would require electrification of the Valley lines.

Such a scheme already exists in outline, although its supporters say they are worried that some routes, such as the lines to Ebbw Vale Parkway and Maesteg, may not be included.

Welsh Government minister Carl Sargeant is arguing that further investment would boost the economy in depressed areas.

In an article published in the Western Mail, he said the case for electrification was 'far stronger than many rail schemes that have already been funded by the UK (United Kingdom) Government in England'.

A Department for Transport spokesman said that the Welsh Government had provided an outline business case for electrification beyond Cardiff to Swansea.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 27, 2012, 13:50:13 »

Contract for main works to Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, and Newbury has just been awarded to Amey:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/news/single-view/view/amey-awarded-great-western-electrification-contract.html

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 11, 2012, 21:03:44 »

Roughly a year until actual physical work will start and bright green marking have been sprayed trackside for most of the route between Didcot and Reading.  They look about the right distance apart to be locations for the catenary masts.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: