Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:53:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046623 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: November 17, 2012, 10:44:49 »

Crossrail is being gauged for double deck trains

The Crossrail tunnels are not being initially fitted out for double deck trains, which i why I wrote what I did.  They are built to allow UIC/TSI GB (Great Britain) gauge but only with major modifications.  But that is pretty much academic unless they also completely rebuild the existing Heathrow tunnels, and the Connaught tunnel to North Woolwich, which are not big enough.  Are there any plans for that - I don't think so.

I believed from online sources that they were just re-registering the existing GW (Great Western) OHLE to allow for 125 mph running with two pans up, but that this is a requirement of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)(GW), not Crossrail.  So that doesn't necessarily imply it's part of a covert conversion of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) to allow for double decker trains.   Are any of the GWML bridge works providing for anything beyond W10/W12 plus electrification clearance?  Are there any  corresponding gauge changes planned between Stratford and Shenfield, which is already undergoing an electrification update?

Paul
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:20 »

I believed from online sources that they were just re-registering the existing GW (Great Western) OHLE to allow for 125 mph running with two pans up, but that this is a requirement of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)(GW), not Crossrail. 
The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) documentation says that OHLE will be capable of 125mph running on the relief lines, but 140mph on the fast lines. There's no actual plan at the moment to see 140mph running, but it is nice to see that provision is being made for it.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:06 »

Possible extensions of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification to either Bedwyn, Westbury or Bath via Bradford-Upon-Avon are being considered by the DfT.  Interesting to hear that the options are being officially considered.  Bedwyn would be logical in my opinion, but I'm not so sure about further afield - though electric hauled stone trains are an interesting idea!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20399057

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #798 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:32 »

Well if they can wire via Bradford on Avon then maybe they could wire between Westbury & Southampton that would allow the Cardiff - Portsmouth service to be worked by emu's.

Besides  maybe they should wire via Melksham  as well (That should please a few members ofn this forum)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:12 »

Well if they can wire via Bradford on Avon then maybe they could wire between Westbury & Southampton that would allow the Cardiff - Portsmouth service to be worked by emu's.

Besides  maybe they should wire via Melksham  as well (That should please a few members ofn this forum)

I think that's one of the problems, isn't it?  Whenever possible extensions are mentioned, there's always a 'well, if they're going to do that, they might as well do that as well' argument for adjoining sections of track!  Certainly having the route from Newbury via Westbury to Bath electrified does provide for a useful diversionary route which is arguably more important now with the electrification extending to Swansea meaning fewer bi-mode IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s will be available to cover such routes at times of engineering or other service disruption.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #800 on: November 20, 2012, 14:46:43 »

I agree with what you are saying Industryinsider and if they include wiring the line through Melksham I am sure our members living in the area would be quite pleased (especially if they get a more regular rail service)

Also weren't they putting something to go with the GW (Great Western) power suppply in Melksham so could that perhaps also be another reason?

One final point I woul like to make is my concern about Network Rail taking on too much work especially since  the current proposals already given the go ahead are quiete extensive unlless Network Rail and the Government know something we dont (3rd electrification Factory train perhaps?)

The whole extra electrostars for Southern have also got me thinking something is up
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 20, 2012, 18:56:29 »

Also weren't they putting something to go with the GW (Great Western) power suppply in Melksham so could that perhaps also be another reason?

One of the principle intakes from the TNO (Transmission Network Operator) (Transition Network Operator aka National Grid).  One of the weakness in system currently planed is in the Reading area keeping the depot alive when the Auto Transformer system feed from Kensal Green or Didcot is not available, also the Newbury leg is vulnerable as it is a stub end feed extending the wires via Westbury to the Melksham area would allow for a feed from there.

One final point I woul like to make is my concern about Network Rail taking on too much work especially since  the current proposals already given the go ahead are quiete extensive unlless Network Rail and the Government know something we dont (3rd electrification Factory train perhaps?)

One of the most critical resources is the amount of trained staff to construct, test and commission an AC electrified railway something which Network Rail and its contractors are acutely aware of

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: November 20, 2012, 20:51:43 »

Picking up the double deck debate...
Low platforms on the continent mean you can  have a lower saloon with entrance doors between the bogies and gangways on the upper deck only. That's not really feasible with the UK (United Kingdom) platform height. Apart from that station dwell times would be significantly increased, which is not a good idea if you want to put 24tph through the central section.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2012, 21:07:50 »

I think, with the possible exception of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), there will be no double-deck trains operating on the National Rail network any time soon. 

So no chance of anything like this once again running on UK (United Kingdom) tracks! http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthistory/rail/ddtrain.html

Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: November 20, 2012, 21:31:00 »

I remember the 4DDs. There was one coach standing outside Chart Leacon for a long time. The forced ventillation didn't work very well and they were very stuffy when full. And it took an age for people to clamber down the steps from the upper compartments.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 22, 2012, 11:55:29 »

They'd have to build a second HOOP train first, and NR» (Network Rail - home page) haven't ever reported ordering a second train yet.  Given the fanfare surrounding the single train that is on order, you'd expect a second one would be publicised?

This article is one of many that refers to a single HOOP train: 

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/windhoff-to-build-network-rails-electrification-factory-train.html

Paul
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 26, 2012, 11:19:25 »

One of the principle intakes from the TNO (Transmission Network Operator) (Transition Network Operator aka National Grid).  One of the weakness in system currently planed is in the Reading area keeping the depot alive when the Auto Transformer system feed from Kensal Green or Didcot is not available, also the Newbury leg is vulnerable as it is a stub end feed extending the wires via Westbury to the Melksham area would allow for a feed from there.

Isn't the Super-Grid electricity sub-station at Bramley Hants now to have a traction Grid Supply Point, with the Nuneaton - Soton wiring?

OTC

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 26, 2012, 13:08:54 »

Isn't the Super-Grid electricity sub-station at Bramley Hants now to have a traction Grid Supply Point, with the Nuneaton - Soton wiring?

OTC

I believe so, this will still leave Newbury as a stub end feed west from Southcote Jcn

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grandsire

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 26, 2012, 16:58:46 »

Possible extensions of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification to either Bedwyn, Westbury or Bath via Bradford-Upon-Avon are being considered by the DfT.  Interesting to hear that the options are being officially considered.  Bedwyn would be logical in my opinion, but I'm not so sure about further afield - though electric hauled stone trains are an interesting idea!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20399057
I expect its already been covered in the previous 50+ pages of this thread, but isn't the stopping of electrification at Newbury something to do with boundaries between signalling centres?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 26, 2012, 17:31:38 »

I expect its already been covered in the previous 50+ pages of this thread, but isn't the stopping of electrification at Newbury something to do with boundaries between signalling centres?

Not likely.  By the time electrification is underway nearly everything will be signalled from Didcot anyway (Thames Valley Signalling Centre).  The main point about electrification boundaries is that they will be designed to fit the intended post electrification timetable, whatever that happens to be, not the current timetable. 

As an example, there are regular proposals that the boundary must be at Bedwyn - but only because that is currently the place where many DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) services terminate.  Once IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is introduced Bedwyn might no longer have terminating trains at all, just calls in regular additional IEP semi-fasts.

Whatever solution people have in mind is probably already suggested somewhere in the GW (Great Western) RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy), the GW ITT (Invitation to Tender), or the London and SE RUS; and however it ends up it's more likely to be different than stay the same...

Paul

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: