Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:50:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[199] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[62] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[34] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[26] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[25] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046935 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 27, 2012, 15:44:45 »

I thought that there was a signaling issue too. 
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 27, 2012, 17:28:53 »

Signalling policy has changed significantly since electrification was announced.  However there seems to be no obvious signalling boundary at or near Newbury anyway.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 29, 2012, 11:53:18 »

The first electrification masts are up on the GWML (Great Western Main Line)!  Quite a surreal sight to be honest, but about half a mile of track just to the east of Reading station has now got masts up (no wires yet of course) in the same area as the new switches and crossings that have been installed at Kennet Bridge Junction.  I'm guessing that this is a short test/proving area prior to the HOOP train starting in earnest next year?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:07 »

The first electrification masts are up on the GWML (Great Western Main Line)!  Quite a surreal sight to be honest, but about half a mile of track just to the east of Reading station has now got masts up (no wires yet of course) in the same area as the new switches and crossings that have been installed at Kennet Bridge Junction.  I'm guessing that this is a short test/proving area prior to the HOOP train starting in earnest next year?

........... Or is it ooooooooopppps we are behind on the plan, lets nail something in the ground very 50 meters 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: December 29, 2012, 14:34:02 »

I think it was always the plan to make passive provision for electrification during the Reading remodelling. It makes sense, in order to minimise disruption later, to do as much as possible in places that are currently away from the live railway. I suspect that now electrification beyond the extent of Crossrail is going ahead, it's worth putting up the masts before the new platforms open.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 29, 2012, 15:44:47 »

I think it was always the plan to make passive provision for electrification during the Reading remodelling. It makes sense, in order to minimise disruption later, to do as much as possible in places that are currently away from the live railway. I suspect that now electrification beyond the extent of Crossrail is going ahead, it's worth putting up the masts before the new platforms open.

Of the two options, I think Western Explorer's is the more likely explanation, despite my huge respect for Industry Insider's encyclopaedic knowledge. The High Output Operating Plant system isn't due for delivery for a few months yet.

Wondering whether it had jumped through all the HOOPs a few months early, I did a bit of searching. I found that HOOP will not deliver all of the electrification work:
A plan is being developed around working in 7 to 8 hour possessions between Sunday and Thursday, with longer 8-10 hour possessions on Fridays and Saturdays. Each evening, the team will normally take three two-mile possessions on one line ^ the adjacent line will still operate at 20-60 miles per hour. Approximately 80% of the work will be carried out using high-output processes, while the remaining 20% will be delivered by more traditional methods. An immense amount of work will need to be done with 13,784 piles, 1,427 concrete foundations and 13,078 structures all on the ^to do^ list.

That quote, which I hadn't seen before is from an article in The Rail Engineer, reporting on a conference with all the industry arms involved in electrification. The whole article gives an interesting insight into the logistical challenges faced by the project teams. Well worth a read.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 29, 2012, 16:05:00 »

Yes that's the plan however the actual design and development doesn't quite match the plan a decision has been taken to do some piling and mast erecting "at risk"

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 29, 2012, 16:24:50 »

An interesting comment in the article about electrification of the Gospel Oak to Barking line starting in 2014, yet this has yet to be approvied, and is the subject of much contention between the Mayor of London/TfL» (Transport for London - about) and DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about). This point is followed up in the comments, though with no conclusive outcome.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 29, 2012, 23:25:50 »

Of the two options, I think Western Explorer's is the more likely explanation, despite my huge respect for Industry Insider's encyclopaedic knowledge. The High Output Operating Plant system isn't due for delivery for a few months yet.

Thank you, and yes, having thought about it a little 'Western Explorer's' hunch is probably closer to the mark, though the section that's been done is very much still part of the live railway - I remember hearing that electrification of the new platforms would start to take place by the end of the year, so this may be the first sign of that phase of the work.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: December 30, 2012, 00:09:29 »

Thank you, and yes, having thought about it a little 'Western Explorer's' hunch is probably closer to the mark, though the section that's been done is very much still part of the live railway - I remember hearing that electrification of the new platforms would start to take place by the end of the year, so this may be the first sign of that phase of the work.

I last went into Reading (from Maidenhead) about three weeks ago by which time track had been laid into P13-15 from the Southern underpass. P11 and 12 are blocked by the footbridge support. I didn't notice any masts at that time.

Incidentally, I was told that the underpass was going to be laid with long sleepers so that conductor rail could be added later if needed (and there would also be room for OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")). I didn't see whether this had actually been done.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 30, 2012, 00:16:49 »

No, there's no masts within the station area at the moment.  Only the area I described at Kennet Bridge Junction, about half a mile east of the station extending about another half a mile towards London.

Regarding 3rd Rail electrification, platforms 13/14/15 have passive provision, as well as the underpass, so I assume compatible sleepers will be used in all of those areas.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 30, 2012, 00:40:51 »

I'm sure they will provide for third rail, but I don't think they are any different in length to any other sleepers are they? They just have a set of precast threaded inserts at either end where the pots can be fitted - I remember someone noticed that they'd been used somewhere on the North Downs route even though non-electrified.

(What I'm certain of is that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) were talking out of their hats when they said they'd have to be steel sleepers to allow for third rail...)   Huh

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 30, 2012, 08:55:30 »

I thought the (old) underpass east of Reading had been slab tracked, if this is the case then the re-bar has to have extra depth of concrete and a few other measure to protect it from stray DC (Direct Current).  If its conventional sleepers then it doesn't matter too much as they are all the same length conrail or non conrail the big difference for third rail is the holes cast in for the pots but a bit of spot sleeper replacement would cure that, a little more time consuming if glued ballast has been used.

The only time I can envisage conrail trough the underpass would be as part of an AC / DC interface where a electrical section OHL (Over-Head Line) overlaps a conrail electrical section.  The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and not keen to extend DC third rail and it is not current NR» (Network Rail - home page) policy to extend it either.   

Operationally I cannot see much benefit over the cost of install and maintenance.   The ORR would require Track Isolating Switches (TIS(resolve)) and Neg Short Circuiting devices fitted (traditional Hook Switches are out of favour especially for new schemes) and Neg Shorting Devices would be required for emergency isolations as the extension would be new.  These devices require a power supply and SCADA (System Control And Data Acquisition,) with associated mods to Eastliegh ECR.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #823 on: December 30, 2012, 10:33:17 »

(traditional Hook Switches are out of favour especially for new schemes)

Remember being shown how to operate a hook switch when at Sutton. Never had to do it anger. One of the checks we had to do was ensure that every station had it's operating lever.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:04 »

I thought the (old) underpass east of Reading had been slab tracked,

I'm not clear what this means (will google in a minute) but from memory the track passing through the eastern underpass is built normal sleepered track construction

The trouble is that this was done when the evenings were drawing in so I may be mistaken

Slab track duly researched
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: