Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:34:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046831 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: December 30, 2012, 16:12:47 »

I believe slab track is similar to the track inside St. Pancras International? Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:10:20 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 30, 2012, 16:18:43 »

It's been a while since I have been to st. Pancras but I believe you are right
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 31, 2012, 13:45:33 »

The only time I can envisage conrail trough the underpass would be as part of an AC / DC (Direct Current) interface where a electrical section OHL (Over-Head Line) overlaps a conrail electrical section.  The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and not keen to extend DC third rail and it is not current NR» (Network Rail - home page) policy to extend it either.   

I also thought that the underpass would have been the most obvious/logical place to have a short changeover section, and there have been a number of subsequent statements, (including by NR in response to FGW (First Great Western) as recently as last October) that they intend to allow for AC and DC in the underpass:

{FGW}
25. Paragraph 5.10 Remodelling of East Throat: Network Rail to advise extent of third rail and / or overhead electrification intended or if passive provision provided in the southern underpass;
{NR}
The Up and Down Reading Low Level Line is provided with passive provision for AC & DC electrification with headroom clearances and 3rd Rail sleepers being installed.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/network%20code/network%20change/current%20proposals/reading%20redevelopment/nc%20g1%20rsar%20002/train%20operator%20replies/first%20great%20western/reply%20to%20fgw%20stage%20f%20ncn%2003102012.pdf 

However DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have also said in the GW (Great Western) franchise ITT (Invitation to Tender):

"The three new north side platforms and the new dive under at Reading station will be equipped [...] to facilitate third rail electrification."

Which suggests to me tripling the complexity of the power supplies for little operational gain, although I suppose changeover during a planned station call is always going to be better than a stop outside the station; especially where a changeover failure would block a single track.   Swings and roundabouts...

Paul
Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: December 31, 2012, 15:14:57 »

@Paul7755: "I also thought that the underpass would have been the most obvious/logical place to have a short changeover section, and there have been a number of subsequent statements, (including by NR» (Network Rail - home page) in response to FGW (First Great Western) as recently as last October) that they intend to allow for AC and DC (Direct Current) in the underpass"

It would be preferable to make the changeover in a platform because then there are more options if it fails for any reason. You don't want to have a train stuck in the underpass or needing to reverse out, even though it is bidirectional.

Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2012, 15:29:28 »

Aside from disruption risk when changing from AC to DC (Direct Current) due to rolling stock issues there are two other factors that have not been mentioned by posters yet in respect of changing over at a platform.

1. driver of AC trains forgetting to pan-down when changing over to DC mode, and then either activated the ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) or worse... hitting a bridge or other object and ripping the pan off.

2. door release other than in a platform - several incidents of this each year, but thankfully no injuries to passengers. Why create an extra risk?

It is possible to change over from AC to DC on the move, as is done by London Overground (but not Southern) on the WLL at North Pole, however it requires a fairly substantial overlap.

As the underpass is only a short distance I really don't see why posters here are making a fuss about DC overlapping with AC. There are plenty of examples on the rail network already where ECOs (Electrical Control Officer) (and their substations/infrastructure) provide AC and DC supply in the same location.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 31, 2012, 15:36:36 »

@Paul7755: "I also thought that the underpass would have been the most obvious/logical place to have a short changeover section, and there have been a number of subsequent statements, (including by NR» (Network Rail - home page) in response to FGW (First Great Western) as recently as last October) that they intend to allow for AC and DC (Direct Current) in the underpass"

It would be preferable to make the changeover in a platform because then there are more options if it fails for any reason. You don't want to have a train stuck in the underpass or needing to reverse out, even though it is bidirectional

I'm not disagreeing with that point though.  What I went on to suggest is that the costs of having three dual voltage platform areas, is significantly higher than doing it along the length of the underpass - and this might colour their decision.

Having said this it's already been discussed to death once in the main Reading Station thread anyway, so I'll leave it there I think.

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2012, 15:57:44 »

AC / DC (Direct Current) change over sections are not short.  They are usually 3 electrical sections which have to longer than the longest train to use the section, note this include non electric traction hauled trains; it can be done with 2 electrical sections which may be the case at Reading as there are 2 rectifiers at Reading to manage the DC return current, at least 1 of these would have to be in service for AC / DC change over, AC will almost certainly need the installation of isolation transformers.

I know the GW (Great Western) electrification team have looked at the system we installed at Ludgate Cellars system used for the Thameslink change over at Blackfriars this is an extremely expensive and complex contractor system.

The actual change over of power from one to the other is the easy part its the managing the traction return currents that are the problems.  Stray DC cause electrolytic erosion ferrous  items like rebar, bridge steels, cable armours etc (and not just on railway owned land) also track circuits have to be DC immune over a considerable distance; for stray AC this is more an EMC (ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) issue with telecoms and track circuits but can cause some rise in earth potential under fault conditions on the AC system.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2012, 15:59:13 »

On a lighter note - from First Great Western JourneyCheck:

15:16 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:50
This train will be cancelled.
This is due to electrical supply problems.
Message Received: 31/12/2012 14:35

Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2012, 16:03:49 »

Did they find that the pantograph wouldn't fit a 142 ??
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2012, 16:56:56 »

I last went into Reading (from Maidenhead) about three weeks ago by which time track had been laid into P13-15 from the Southern underpass.

Webcams show the rail was delivered through the platforms a little later than that; it only appeared from Sun 16th, and sleepers were being fitted on the 18th and 19th. 

However, the main reason for my looking back to those dates was that you can just see that the sleepers actually used, in P13/14 at least, definitely are fitted with the threaded inserts for third rail insulators. (You need the extreme bottom right view of camera 1/1 at 100% magnification, try about mid-day on the 19th.)

As they are buried in ballast now Huh you can't see that sort of detail any longer.  Seriously though I realise it's still a work in progress and the sleepers will probably reappear during final tamping and lining etc...

Paul

Western Explorer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2012, 20:52:22 »

On a lighter note - from First Great Western JourneyCheck:

15:16 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:50
This train will be cancelled.
This is due to electrical supply problems.
Message Received: 31/12/2012 14:35

Huh

This was at Reading P16 on 12th December. I was last there on the 14th but sans camera.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 22:16:59 by chris from nailsea » Logged
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2012, 20:57:59 »

Happy New Year everyone.

Might not the ac/dc change-over be simpler on the Wokingham line rather than at Reading, as dual voltage stock is now to be the future for the South Western....

S'pect it's been suggested before,

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 26, 2013, 16:04:35 »

Worth mentioning that preliminary work continues at a pace, with foundation holes dug most of the way from Reading to Oxford for the overhead masts that will be installed by this wonderful electrification train that will soon be with us.

Most of the holes have simply been dug, lined with a strong canvas sack with handles, and then filled in with gravel, soil and ballast.  But at a few locations the foundation post to which the gantry will be attached has also been installed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 26, 2013, 18:34:22 »

Worth mentioning that preliminary work continues at a pace, with foundation holes dug most of the way from Reading to Oxford for the overhead masts that will be installed by this wonderful electrification train that will soon be with us.

Most of the holes have simply been dug, lined with a strong canvas sack with handles, and then filled in with gravel, soil and ballast.  But at a few locations the foundation post to which the gantry will be attached has also been installed.

In OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") teams gantries are refereed to as Structures, the dig out structure foundations ahead of being filled with concrete is quite normal often they are hand dug.

The first part of the GW (Great Western) Mainline electrification to be commissioned is Reading Oxford, this will allow driver training. East of Reading relies on Kensal Green feeder station and Crossrail electrifying Stockley to Maidenhead 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 26, 2013, 22:16:47 »

Work is now well under way at the Swindon Electrification Depot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: