Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:44:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046862 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: September 24, 2014, 22:53:43 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) will always consult with the local Authority planners on any structure, unless it is covered a TWA and even then NR will notify the local Authority when it intends to carry out the works.

Things like road closures and section 66 have to be applied for many projects so it always helps to keep the planners on side.   NR will invoke it permitted development rights if it has too.

Like all large undertakings and utilities NR has a consents team that deal with local Authorities, other external railways, utilities, etc 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 01, 2014, 19:13:57 »

They are replacing a road bridge over the railway in Maidenhead as part of this.. I still can't understand how they are doing this whilst trains are running underneath.. Though I'm terribly impressed that they are...

I've been reliably informed by my son (who has to walk over the replacement temporary footbridge each day) that the old bridge has finally gone..

I am guessing adding the new improved, and higher bridge will also have to be done very carefully :-)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 01, 2014, 21:09:32 »

They are replacing a road bridge over the railway in Maidenhead as part of this.. I still can't understand how they are doing this whilst trains are running underneath.. Though I'm terribly impressed that they are...

I've been reliably informed by my son (who has to walk over the replacement temporary footbridge each day) that the old bridge has finally gone..

I am guessing adding the new improved, and higher bridge will also have to be done very carefully :-)

Not all of it is actually done while the trains are running, some lighter work might be done behind scaffold screening or back from the open line; however the heavy lift stuff is done during an "All Line Block" type possession.

"All Line Block" type possession are like hens teeth and will have been in the planning for at least 2 years.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 03, 2014, 08:29:31 »

There goes the road bridge at Cox Green.... (went last Sunday apparently)

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Cox-Green/Highfield-Bridge-lifted-out-as-part-of-electrification-works-01102014.htm

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 03, 2014, 18:00:06 »

I'm sure they will put something back to fill the hole  Grin

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 03, 2014, 18:24:06 »

That report makes it sound like the same bridge is going back - is it?

Now, please!
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1011 on: October 12, 2014, 20:03:42 »

The bridge on the A417 at Challow Station between Didcot and Swindon was demolished this morning. Apologies for the poor quality as it was rather foggy but here are some pictures of the last girder being lifted out by Anscough's most impressive 500 tonne lift capacity crane:

Initial lift

Mid lift

Lowering the girder

Anscough 500 t crane

The plan is for the line to be handed back by 5:00am tomorrow morning and the pre-cast beams for the new bridge deck will be lifted into position next weekend.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 12, 2014, 21:06:59 »

One of my favourite locations for photos between Didcot and Swindon.  Hopefully the new bridge will not be too high sided to allow future expeditions there.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1013 on: October 12, 2014, 21:52:30 »

Obviously the parapets will be higher - though you should still get a good view from the approaches.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 12, 2014, 22:16:43 »

Can't find the plans for this one, but I see that the replacement bridge at Pearson's Brickyard (the one you see in the up direction from the platform at Bristol Porkway) has a minimum 1525mm from pavement to top of parapet - which I make about 5s 4d in old money. If this one's the same, you may have to stand on tippytoes Bobm.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 13, 2014, 19:38:28 »

One of my favourite locations for photos between Didcot and Swindon.  Hopefully the new bridge will not be too high sided to allow future expeditions there.

Can't find the plans for this one, but I see that the replacement bridge at Pearson's Brickyard (the one you see in the up direction from the platform at Bristol Porkway) has a minimum 1525mm from pavement to top of parapet - which I make about 5s 4d in old money. If this one's the same, you may have to stand on tippytoes Bobm.

BS EN 50122-2 (I think its part 2 my copy is at work) "Railway applications. Fixed installations. Electrical safety, earthing and the return circuit. Provisions against the effects of stray currents caused by d.c. traction systems"  Shocked Roll Eyes requires min height of 1820mm, I have had a couple of upset Civil Engineers at work who have had to add and extra 295mm onto their parapets

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 13, 2014, 20:00:36 »

This seems to apply to DC (Direct Current) traction systems... are AC systems the same?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 13, 2014, 20:29:47 »

This seems to apply to DC (Direct Current) traction systems... are AC systems the same?

Its probably part 1 then, I normally just work off of in house standards

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 13, 2014, 21:34:42 »

Sorry, I wasn't testing you - I just wondered if there were different parapet height requirements for the differing characteristics of ac and dc traction supplies. More to the point, I'm 1970mm tall (pretty big for a squirrel, huh?), so whereas I can easily see over a 1525mm parapet, an 1820mm one is a bit of a stretch!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 13, 2014, 22:09:53 »

Sorry, I wasn't testing you - I just wondered if there were different parapet height requirements for the differing characteristics of ac and dc traction supplies. More to the point, I'm 1970mm tall (pretty big for a squirrel, huh?), so whereas I can easily see over a 1525mm parapet, an 1820mm one is a bit of a stretch!

There's not many DC (Direct Current) systems with overhead power kit these days, not in heavy rail anyway. I am sure that whoever ruled that the gap shalleth be 1820mm had in mind every one of the seven recognised grades of bloody idiot on railways. A grade one would try to prove to his pals that you can touch the cable with a dry wooden pole, and suffer no harm, whereas a true grade seven would want to demonstrate that a stream of alcohol-enhanced urine would not conduct 25Kv as far as the todger. All these and more must  be protected from themselves and their folly.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: