24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 21:21:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[198] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[114] You see all sorts on the bus.
[103] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[69] Death of another bus station?
[46] "Mayflower"
[41] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1052661 times)
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1815 on: June 22, 2016, 18:20:41 »

This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) forum
https://vimeo.com/166803000

Good isn't it? I thought that the holes were pre-drilled judging by the captions, but someone on WNXX corrected me that there were just trial pits to check that no signalling cables. Apparently the crane has some kind of vibrating hammer on it. 

Twas me that posted it. Very impressive bit of kit. I've cycled past the compound at Knighton where the loading was filmed and wondered what they were doing there as I couldn't see any electrification equipment in there at the time. There's another compound nearby at Uffington but that's set back from the line.

Received the latest copy of Modern Railways this morning and there's what looks like a very interesting article on GW (Great Western) electrification written by their Technical Editor, Roger Ford. Not had the chance to read it yet but I will this evening!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 22, 2016, 18:32:34 »

I've just caught the 1824 at Truro and it may be delayed after Didcot Parkway due to problems with the OHL (Over-Head Line) after Didcot. What has gone wrong do we know?

It created a little amusement amongst passengers that a Diesel will be delayed by electrification problems.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 22, 2016, 19:58:56 »

What has gone wrong do we know?

see here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14689.msg197627#msg197627
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:15 »

Over the last week, some masts have now appeared immediately to the west of Thatcham Crossing  Smiley
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #1819 on: July 01, 2016, 16:11:13 »

Notices coming round now about the juice being on at various times between Scours Lane and Milton Junction as from the 2nd July.

Nothing specific, just the standard safety notices saying they are available for going live under supervision, and giving various safety details. Being run from the Electrical Control Room at TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about).
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 01, 2016, 16:40:48 »

Those masts that appeared immediately west of Thatcham (4, I think) are the only ones between there and Newbury (confirmed during a trip last evening).

Also noticed that although quite a few more piles have appeared between the 2 above stations, there is still nothing at all between Newbury Racecourse and Newbury, or at Newbury Station itself.

Time is ticking on chaps!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 01, 2016, 21:45:04 »

Notices coming round now about the juice being on at various times between Scours Lane and Milton Junction as from the 2nd July.

Nothing specific, just the standard safety notices saying they are available for going live under supervision, and giving various safety details. Being run from the Electrical Control Room at TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about).

The plan I believe is to commence section proving this weekend.  The Electrical Control Room at Didcot is not yet operational, the energisation is being managed form Romford ECR!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1822 on: July 02, 2016, 09:43:33 »

Have just done a couple of journeies to Padd and Reading from Taplow. There still appears to be a lot of masts still to erect  particualrly between Slough and Hayes and part of Maidenhead Twford and through Sonning Cutting.
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #1823 on: July 02, 2016, 22:06:18 »

The plan I believe is to commence section proving this weekend.  The Electrical Control Room at Didcot is not yet operational, the energisation is being managed form Romford ECR!

The poster gives the contact point as the TVSC, although I still thought it was Romford as well.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 03, 2016, 08:06:04 »

The poster gives the contact point as the TVSC, although I still thought it was Romford as well.

TVSC is still the controlling centre, they just don't yet have the staff with the ECR competence based there yet, hence Romford which has and is also training the TVSC operators much of the training and competence assessment is experience based which takes time to build up the full team required for a 24 / 7 .  Romford is currently the ECR for Padd to Heathrow OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")   

The ECR "desk" at Romford  can have the TVSC electrification phone lines diverted to it and the operator will answer the phone according to what is in the Sectional Appendix (to the Rule Book) for the area there are covering.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 06, 2016, 16:56:23 »

A few days ago I commented, re: Newbury area electrification:

Time is ticking on chaps!

Then this has come to light in the last few days.....
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/electrification-of-the-railway-enters-next-crucial-stage-in-the-newbury-area

Work to start end of this month apparently Smiley

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:19 »

Last week, my nine year old son's school in Bath got a visit (I assume from NR» (Network Rail - home page)/BTP (British Transport Police)) about the dangers of electrified lines (he came home telling me that electricity could jump 3 meters).  All very good, but seems a bit premature.  Or is Bath being wired sooner than I thought?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:43 »

The school visit might have been booked some time ago, perhaps before the present degree of delay was known about.

Keeping at least 3M away from live overhead is sensible advice, but it wont actually jump that far. The top of the train is less than 3M from the over head as are the undersides of many bridges.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 07, 2016, 09:36:31 »

But the train is connected to the current by the pantograph, giving a path of minimal resistance, and most bridges do not make much of an electrode, or are engineered for safety. That said, and I'm no expert on Paschen's law, it is almost certain that the arc would never cover 3m, but you won't find me taking any chances.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:35 »

My son's school, in Bristol, had a similar visit from BTP (British Transport Police) a few months ago. I don't think they were told 3m though! Surely the roof of a lorry or bus is less than 3m from the wires at a level crossing?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: