Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:49:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046852 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2340 on: February 04, 2017, 12:09:27 »

Switch on from Stockley Bridge to Maidenhead postponed to 5 March.

So won't be able to report until then if I am electrocuted hugging the upright on the old footbridge at Taplow or if my wi-fi is affected by induction from the energised wires.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2341 on: February 05, 2017, 16:02:53 »

IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) maybe causing interference on the communication network. Something is, and the 387 tests to Didcot this morning was also looking to see if the same problems occurred. If not, then the IEPs will need Hitachi to do some work on the IEPs to fix.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: February 05, 2017, 20:20:05 »

I've been volunteered to stand next to the old footbridge at Taplow Station to see how big a shock I get touching the metal!

I think that the technique is to take a rubber mat to stand on, put your left hand in your pocket and touch the metal guard with the back of your right hand.

Then you might come back and tell us all about it.

OTC
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: February 05, 2017, 22:57:33 »

IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) maybe causing interference on the communication network. Something is, and the 387 tests to Didcot this morning was also looking to see if the same problems occurred. If not, then the IEPs will need Hitachi to do some work on the IEPs to fix.

A usually reliable source on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) reckons that both 387s and 800s were tested on Saturday night and there were no repeats of the previous issues, so subject to data analyis and official clearance, it should be all systems go with driver training between Didcot and Reading TCD.

Hayes to Taplow was supposed to have been switched on yesterday I believe, but apparently now delayed to 5th March, though it may be that we're now supposed to consider it live to be on the safe side.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:26 »

Seem whilst coming through western approaches to Reading this AM on the relief lines - outside the Traincare depot : one nice shiny green EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) (class 387 8 believe)

I wonder if it was hauled (no evidence of this) or it actually made it under the wires ?
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:08 »

A usually reliable source on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) reckons that both 387s and 800s were tested on Saturday night and there were no repeats of the previous issues, so subject to data analyis and official clearance, it should be all systems go with driver training between Didcot and Reading TCD.

Hayes to Taplow was supposed to have been switched on yesterday I believe, but apparently now delayed to 5th March, though it may be that we're now supposed to consider it live to be on the safe side.
I've never known of electric trains causing interfErEnC rr5%a|ef !ds3@<  +++ NO CARRIER +++
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: February 07, 2017, 10:37:05 »

Seem whilst coming through western approaches to Reading this AM on the relief lines - outside the Traincare depot : one nice shiny green EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) (class 387 8 believe)

I wonder if it was hauled (no evidence of this) or it actually made it under the wires ?

Arrived yesterday lunchtime, impossible to make it here under the wires, unless manufactured somewhere between the depot and Didcot. A loco from Crewe picked the 387 up from Bletchley, dropped it off at Reading depot and headed back up to Crewe. In the past it has been a class 37, although I haven't bothered checking what did yesterdays run.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: February 07, 2017, 15:45:45 »

Ahh - I didn't think it would be that route. For some reason I thought Bletchley to Reading would be via WCML (West Coast Main Line) and GWML (Great Western Main Line).

I read some where that they would be arriving at the rate of 1 set every two weeks. Reading is going to look full(er) soon.

Also - I saw the new sidings by the Plasser works outside West Ealing had 2 8 car units stabled in them already.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: February 07, 2017, 18:36:02 »

Ahh - I didn't think it would be that route. For some reason I thought Bletchley to Reading would be via WCML (West Coast Main Line) and GWML (Great Western Main Line).

Correct, they do run that route, however the electrification work between Maidenhead and Reading depot hasn't been finished yet, also the section between Hayes and Maidenhead hasn't been switched on yet albeit due to happen in the coming weeks.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: February 07, 2017, 23:06:45 »

Steventon Parish News for January 2017 is reporting that in the end the bridge will be rebuilt and the level crossings will stay open!

So that years of delay to end up back where they started at huge public expense. 

A decision due by May and then they still have to get permission from the District Council because it is listed. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 23:27:58 by ellendune » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: February 08, 2017, 18:34:53 »

Update towards 5th Feb when the big switch on occurs at Taplow.

The feeder wires which are above the gantries have been slung over the Relief line by Lent Rise bridge.

I've been volunteered to stand next to the old footbridge at Taplow Station to see how big a shock I get touching the metal!
Switch on from Stockley Bridge to Maidenhead postponed to 5 March.

So won't be able to report until then if I am electrocuted hugging the upright on the old footbridge at Taplow or if my wi-fi is affected by induction from the energised wires.

You wont feel a thing ..........................

However if you do you wont be around to tell any one about it  Shocked

Now let me think  Huh how many occasions I leant against OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") and other structures during testing of OLE  ................... not enough fingers and toes so lost count

and still here to tell the tail .................... even operated OLE switches when the OLE fell off of said switch and struck the structure of the switch I was operating ................... need clean under pants after wards though  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2351 on: March 01, 2017, 14:36:09 »

Looks like 5th March may be on for energising around Taplow. Feeder wire now strung above Mainline gantries by house.

Have to go hug the footbridge  pillar next week.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2352 on: March 02, 2017, 10:42:05 »

Should I look out for sparks when they switch on on Sunday!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 02, 2017, 22:09:07 »

That knitting machine's been out to Reading again. Now there's a third platform with wires running through it (P8), as well as a start on some of the fiddly bits at the ends.

Platform 1 has also been done, as you can see. But I can't help feeling there's something missing here ...
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 03, 2017, 05:50:29 »

I don't know. It looks like a robust - and hopefully plastic - stanchion  Shocked
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: