Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:41:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046597 times)
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: September 18, 2017, 12:41:15 »

Someone, somewhere, needs to look up from their desk, and see an inspirational picture (possibly of some large item of heavy engineering) with the caption:

"What would the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of BR (British Rail(ways)) plc do?"
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: September 18, 2017, 12:46:43 »

He might sing for Phil?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2612 on: September 18, 2017, 13:07:43 »

Well, the last one failed spectacularly to order any new stock.....hence the age of the kit only now being replaced. Be careful what you wish for....
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: September 18, 2017, 17:36:20 »

Or perhaps was not permitted by the government to order any new rolling stock because of the proposed privatisation

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: September 18, 2017, 18:26:02 »

Don't count on them lasting that long!

For fear of having my Momentum membership cancelled, I suspect you may underestimate how wasteful a state-controlled organisation such as Britain's railway can be. Just think of those lovely state-of-the art steam locomotives that were rolled out in 1960 and then scrapped in 1965...

I am under no illusions, comrade! Any major part of infrastructure that needs a plan for development and finances covering decades drawn up by a government with a maximum lifespan of 5 years is always going to struggle for continuity. The waste involved in having worked up a plan, seeing it scrapped, then starting again from scratch a few years later is immense. That's even without external factors queering the pitch.

Now, please!
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: September 18, 2017, 20:27:28 »

Any news on the big commissioning/switch-on/blue sparks/red faces at Reading, over the weekend?

Fingers crossed,

OTC
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: September 19, 2017, 19:51:56 »

From the Plymouth Herald.  I was going to post this in the 'Lighter Side' but had second thoughts...... Roll Eyes Tongue

'Spot' electrification could speed trains up through Plymouth
Plans proposed to speed up main line service through Westcountry

The next generation of trains running on the Westcountry main line could use electric power to speed up the region’s steep hills, under plans being explored.

GWR (Great Western Railway)’s new Hitachi Intercity Express trains, which will arrive in the Westcountry from next year, are capable of switching seamlessly between diesel and electric power.

Now the Peninsula Rail Task Force is asking for £600,000 of funding to continue its study into speeding up services.

Gary Streeter Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) for South West Devon, said part of the money would be used for a feasibility study into “spot electrification”.

Although the Government has cut short electrification of the Great Western main line at Newbury, Mr Streeter said he was optimistic that spot electrification could provide a long-term solution.

We're edging closer to the start date for Plymouth's new 'bullet trains'
“We know that electrification from London to Penzance isn’t going to happen, maybe not even in my lifetime. But spot electrification here and there could work.”

Dan Panes from GWR believes the idea could work, but a cost-benefit analysis would need to be done.

The Peninsula Rail Task Force delivered its rail improvement plan to the Department for Transport in late 2016.

Last week Mr Streeter put a written question to the Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling, asking whether the Government plans to publish a response.

He was told: “The Government does not propose to publish a formal response ... at the present time as we continue to engage with the PRTF and other interested parties as the planning for Network Rail’s work programme for the period starting in April 2019 and the development of the specifications for the future Great Western and Cross Country franchises unfold.”

Mr Streeter said the answer was not unexpected, but he wanted to “continue prodding the government”.

He said the task force was pushing the Department for Transport to make improved onboard connectivity a condition of the next franchise, due in 2019. He said no operator could achieve that alone, but would have to work with mobile phone operators and councils along the route to have more phone masts.

“The new Exeter-Waterloo franchise has onboard wifi several times more powerful than the GWR Paddington trains,” Mr Streeter said.

“But I wouldn’t be happy if the Secretary of State just said, ‘You have to upgrade your onboard system’,” Mr Streeter said. “If they want the franchise, they’ll have to start talking to other operators and doing partnership deals.”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2617 on: September 19, 2017, 20:04:15 »

From the Plymouth Herald.  I was going to post this in the 'Lighter Side' but had second thoughts...... Roll Eyes Tongue

"Spot" electrification has been quietly bubbled along as an idea in some very professional quarters for open stretches on straighish line in hilly countryside.    Interesting how the article seems to morph from speed of trains to speed of WiFi ... perhaps there's a tradeoff there - people will be happy with slower journeys if they have really good connectivity?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: September 19, 2017, 20:41:26 »

I think spot electrification to deal with inclines is a great idea.  They could usefully start with Thingley Jn to Bathampton Jn, and Stoke Gifford Jn to Dr Day's Jn.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: September 19, 2017, 20:49:36 »

SETBACK ?

Went to catch a bus today at my usual stop from which I can see the Westerleigh Junction to Yate curve. There was a platoon from the orange army which had set up 3 way temporary road traffic lights, a containerised store, mess room et al placed on the pavement and adjacent grassed area, and footpath diversion signs. In a conversation with one of the orange army it transpires that whist preparing piles for the Westerleigh Junction to Yate the thumping of the steel cylinders into the embankment at this point had caused a slip and they'd be there for about a week to carry out remedial work to shore up the embankment at the location. When I returned I did notice quite a small shallow slip of the base of the embankment and a noticeable bulge just below where the piling was started and halted. I shall keep watching.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: September 19, 2017, 21:20:16 »

Maybe if they used less heavy gauge vertical steelwork, like on the West and East Coast main lines, it might help.

Just a thought..
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: September 19, 2017, 22:12:53 »

I think spot electrification to deal with inclines is a great idea.  They could usefully start with Thingley Jn to Bathampton Jn, and Stoke Gifford Jn to Dr Day's Jn.

It would make sense to carry on the spot electrification after Bathampton junction, possibly as far as Temple Meads. And why have a gap between there and Dr Days?

On the subject of electrification, I had cause to drive from the A38 by Filton Airfield along Gypsy Patch Lane today. There's a lot of new electric stuff in place, including some wiring. I was driving, so couldn't gaze for too long, nor take pictures.

Now, please!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: September 20, 2017, 13:00:53 »

Any news on the big commissioning/switch-on/blue sparks/red faces at Reading, over the weekend?

Many unconfirmed rumours that it didn't happen with a handful of unconfirmed rumours that it did happen.

What we know is that possession of the line was handed back a few hours early with the last couple of services from Paddington running via Reading instead of Wycombe
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: September 20, 2017, 15:18:30 »

I think that "spot electrification" is another version of "alternating current", albeit at very low Hertz.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2624 on: September 20, 2017, 16:16:14 »

Maybe if they used less heavy gauge vertical steelwork, like on the West and East Coast main lines, it might help.

Just a thought..
Alot of the steelwork (not just the vertical bits) in the GWML (Great Western Main Line) OHLE structures look WAY too chunky compared to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and ECML (East Coast Main Line) OHLE. Yes the heavy-duty stuff might be needed in a few places on 125mph sections that could go up to 140mph in future, and headspans that can make dewirements worse (by knocking out all tracks instead of just one) are a bad idea but in a lot of places the GWML OHLE structures are overkill. Even HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) OHLE seems smaller (from photos I've seen) that the GWML stuff. Also, single-track cantilevers like this look alot nicer than the GWML twin-track cantilevers and portals.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176
  Print  

Jump to: