16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 08:10:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1050912 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2010, 16:10:15 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s self financing of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification is reliant on two things cascaded Thameslink 319's  and the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), Coucher has said in Railnews that GWML only has a low per kM rate if the whole route to Swansea is done.  The cascade of 319's is under threat because the procurement of the second tranche of new Thameslink stock is frozen and the IEP is also frozen and is subject to review.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2010, 16:20:39 »

As various industry bigwigs and journalists have pointed out, the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) becomes more or less pointless in the wake of GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification because there then won't be a need to replace a bulk fleet of intercity diesel trains. The majority of HSTs (High Speed Train) could ultimately be replaced using variations on "out of the box" designs like the Pendo or Javelin, rather than the bizarre fleet of over-specified IEP trains that was proposed.

Must say the IEPs have always reminded me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch, where a customer walks into a shop and gives his requirements for a suit jacket. The aloof shop assistant replies "A business suit that is also a dinner suit, which is also a tailcoat and a pair of pyjamas... [and then on hearing the customer's budget] ...which is fashioned from sackcloth and string"!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2010, 16:33:24 »

As various industry bigwigs and journalists have pointed out, the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) becomes more or less pointless in the wake of GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification because there then won't be a need to replace a bulk fleet of intercity diesel trains. The majority of HSTs (High Speed Train) could ultimately be replaced using variations on "out of the box" designs like the Pendo or Javelin, rather than the bizarre fleet of over-specified IEP trains that was proposed.

Must say the IEPs have always reminded me of a Mitchell and Webb sketch, where a customer walks into a shop and gives his requirements for a suit jacket. The aloof shop assistant replies "A business suit that is also a dinner suit, which is also a tailcoat and a pair of pyjamas... [and then on hearing the customer's budget] ...which is fashioned from sackcloth and string"!
Absolutely  Grin

The GWML given is extremely good build by Brunel would suit the Javelin trains with a better internal fit out than the SE Trains have, not much need for Pendo's.  The West Country would be best served as now with HST's or a modern diesel only replacement

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2010, 17:50:08 »

Whatever happens, for goodness sake let's get Crossrail extended to Reading!

And run all the HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) services non-stop through Reading to make people use Crossrail? 

(I appreciate that comment may be a repeat...)  Grin

Paul
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2010, 17:56:15 »

Whatever happens, for goodness sake let's get Crossrail extended to Reading!

And run all the HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) services non-stop through Reading to make people use Crossrail? 

(I appreciate that comment may be a repeat...)  Grin

Paul

What happens if you are AT Reading and need one of those HST (High Speed Train)'s

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2010, 18:53:11 »

I know - wasn't the plan for some IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to run Northampton - London express commuter trains?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2010, 20:43:19 »

You could have HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) speed trains that pick up only at Reading on their outward run and set down only on the inward.

But you need some pretty agile TMs(resolve) to get through the train and surcharge all the people with Reading Padd tickets.

In a way i wish Crossrail wasn't around because it detracts from the obvious solution of wires to Plymouth (at least and Swansea all routes (i.e Berks Hants, Westbury to Taunton and Bristol, Bristol Taunton, Swindon Trowbridge and North curve Bradford and Swindon Gloucester Newport. Through trains to be  West of Plymouth and Swanswea to be loco hauled with change of loco at end of the wires.

Linking as Crossrail does in the East with already electrified mainlines there seems to me to be no reason why you couldn't run a Bristol Norwich IC (Inter City) stoping Reading Padd inner London Crossrail and then Chelmsford or Colchester first stop on GE. Or with a dual voltage set what about Oxford Canterbury/Dover.

With fill in electrification through to Salisbury and Southampton? Eastleigh. Virtually all FGW (First Great Western) services could be electric.

The trouble is we've got no Brunels in this country being ruled by bean counters and pratitioners of the dismal art who have absolutely no imagination. Most of Brunels projects overspent by very large sums but look at legacy he left behind.

woody

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2010, 22:13:13 »

THE chances of electrification of the Great Western Main Line and several key routes in the north west in the foreseeable future appear to have dwindled to almost zero. The House of Lords has been told that the national financial situation poses difficulties.
http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/general/2010/06/16-electrification-looking-increasingly-unlikely-soon.html
 Also I think Angel and Porterbrook has been asked to price two options to life extend the HSTs (High Speed Train) to 2025 and 2035 and that is where I think we are going on this one personally.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2010, 19:33:43 »

The only crumb of comfort is that electrification wasn't included as part of today's announcement about the hit list of projects cancelled or under review. Though there's a steady drip feed of announcements at the moment, so probably best not to read too much into it.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2010, 23:04:22 »

The only crumb of comfort is that electrification wasn't included as part of today's announcement about the hit list of projects cancelled or under review. Though there's a steady drip feed of announcements at the moment, so probably best not to read too much into it.

Today's list is all post Jan 2010 'electioneering announcements' according to most reports. Comparable with the ^50m for marginal constituencies, nearly all in the NW, oops, should have said station improvements...    Roll Eyes

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2010, 04:09:56 »

I'm getting increasingly annoyed about this. Why the hell does the ^657 bazillion* that will be necessary to build the thoroughly pointless HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) seem to be ring-fenced and sacrosanct, when projects that will benefit far more people like GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification (and at a much more modest cost) are being cut? Do we really need a new high-speed London-Birmingham line at the moment? No!

For heaven's sake just ditch HS2 (or at least put it on the back burner until the country can actually afford it). Another one of my stretched analogies, but it's rather like this situation: your current, modest car is falling to bits, but you're not going to spend money upgrading it. Instead you're going to let it continue disintegrating whilst spend several times the cost of repairing is purchasing a top of the range Porsche which will be delivered in ten years' time. The only problem is that it won't actually have much of a range, or take you to any of the places you actually want to go. Aaaaaarrrrrrgh!  Angry

*possibly not strictly accurate but I lose track every now and again
woody

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2010, 10:21:10 »

I agree with Inspector Blakey its really bazarre when all you here from the new coalition government is every project rail and non rail is under review including Great Western Electrification and new trains,everything that is except HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2010, 10:22:33 »

Agreed, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is a waste of time.

I think it's more a case of political point scoring and not going back on election promises, I believe all 3 major parties had committed to HS2.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2010, 17:06:06 »

Totally agree with all that has been said about HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). Waste of money when the rest of the network needs investment.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2010, 17:10:04 »

GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification is about now therefore about committing money now, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is still a pencil line on a map is years away from any major money so a Government can back it.

Also in 4 years time on the work up to the next general election the ConDem or is it LibTory can wave a big banner and say ain't good we are building a new railway.

If only you all knew how close GWM electrification is / was to be being a reality you would spit feathers

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: