17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:17:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1051251 times)
woody

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2010, 22:24:12 »

(a) Is there capacity via Bristol?

(b) Can Exeter to London be achieved 2 hours or less via Bristol?

If the answer to (a) is no, then would it be worth it?. If the answer to (b) is no, then under no circumstances should services be diverted! Journey time is the single number one priority. The trains are slow enough as it is.
Sorry to disagree but in the age of austerity we now live value for taxpayers money is now the number one priority on the railways not journey times.Change may not be welcome by some people but it is sometimes necessary for survival as all government spending will have to be drastically reduced whether we like it or not and if that means changes to the way FGW (First Great Western) operate their services to get the maximum benefit for the minimum money available then so be it.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2010, 23:29:07 »

Journey time is the single number one priority.

Not according to a lot of passengers surveyed by Passenger Focus it isn't

http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/news-and-publications/press-release.asp?dsid=4537
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2010, 09:03:20 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion), the sensible approach to electrification in this age of autstery, would be to do Manchester-Liverpool and Paddington to Oxford and Bedwyn/Newbury.  Allow the ex-Thameslink EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to be used and ease the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) shortage, but replace the HST (High Speed Train) with more diesel and then in 10/20 years time when there is more money, transfer the HST replacements to cross country (releasing the voyagers for interegional) and electrify the GWML (Great Western Main Line) in small steps (it will of cource already be done to Didcot).

Advantages - money spent relatively slowly, all existing stock used and nothing scrapped prematurely, no need to order new DMUs which run into emission regulation problems (as will the HST replacement, but the technical issues must be easier to solve when there is more space for the new engines), and, polically, the tory commuter belt gets improvements first.   

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2010, 13:12:58 »

I can certainly see the merits of electric trains with regards to reducing oil imports and reducing pollution, but why does everyone assume that passengers would prefer an electric train?
I would much prefer a 30 year old HST (High Speed Train) with legroom and a restaurant, to a new EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) with no catering and high density bus seats.
Faster journies would be appreciated by some but not if it means high density seats without tables, no view, and no catering.
Partial electrification would probably extend times owing to the need for changing.

Electrification also means 10 years of delays and buses at weekends, and no Christmas services.
Got to be faced eventualy, but I for one do not look forawrd to it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:03:43 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2010, 17:12:43 »

I hate to be pessimistic, but from reading the details of Osborne's speech this morning it's not looking good for GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification. It would seem that the Fact Compiler's reading of Osborne's words is the same as mine:

http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/csr-and-new-trains-or-lack-there-of.html
http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/csr-reading-between-lines.html

I suppose we'll have to wait until next week for the confirmation of all the details, but I'm not holding out too much hope anymore. Does just make you wonder just how much longer the government seems to think the HST (High Speed Train) fleet will stagger on for before something radical has to be done (i.e. squadron replacement)! I don't give it too many more years.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2010, 18:01:52 »

What really winds me up about the current situation is the number of highly paid consultants and engineers that have wasted their time and our money on detailed plans for something that will now probably not happen. This money (probably several millions for planning the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification) could have been much better used aquiring a few more DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s which are desperatley needed.

A lot has been wasted on something which a lot of us on here have known for a while is very unlikely to happen until at least 2020.
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2010, 18:56:36 »

Will the HSTs (High Speed Train) last until 2020, or will we see them disintegrate through overuse in the meantime?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2010, 19:20:57 »

What really winds me up about the current situation is the number of highly paid consultants and engineers that have wasted their time and our money on detailed plans for something that will now probably not happen. This money (probably several millions for planning the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification) could have been much better used aquiring a few more DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s which are desperatley needed.

A lot has been wasted on something which a lot of us on here have known for a while is very unlikely to happen until at least 2020.

Not really the team was quite small, also all the data collected is there waiting and the design would make a good bases in the future.  The GWML had not been survived for electrification before, BR (British Rail(ways)) only had very broad concept with approx locations for substations, also the cost of the development was bourne by NR» (Network Rail - home page)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:09 »

I hate to be pessimistic, but from reading the details of Osborne's speech this morning it's not looking good for GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification. It would seem that the Fact Compiler's reading of Osborne's words is the same as mine:

http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/csr-and-new-trains-or-lack-there-of.html
http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/csr-reading-between-lines.html

Yup, I concur. He mentioned electrifying some lines in the NW, but nothing in this neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:46:48 by ChrisB » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:15 »

A sensible, low cost, low risk, cut down electrification scheme would electrify just enough to allow all the displaced Thameslink EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to be used.  Am I correct in thinking that the NW scheme(s) don't do that on their own? 

It would be a huge shame if not progress at all was made on the ground for the  route.  Electrifcation to Reading and then Oxford/Bedwinish would seem to be a sensible comprimise.   Useful stock would be used rather than scrapped, DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) would be released for low cost capacity increases elsewhere and HSTs (High Speed Train) would soldier on for a decade or so longer and when they finally die, the wires will already be up as far as Didcot so taking them further would be lower cost.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2010, 11:51:39 »

A sensible, low cost, low risk, cut down electrification scheme would electrify just enough to allow all the displaced Thameslink EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to be used.  Am I correct in thinking that the NW scheme(s) don't do that on their own? 

This will fill in a number of gaps up there that will allow DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) currently in use on those lines to be swapped out for some EMUs. Which will free up a few, not many, DMUs.

It would be a huge shame if no progress at all was made on the ground for the  route.  Electrifcation to Reading and then Oxford/Bedwinish would seem to be a sensible comprimise. 

That *is* the proposal as it stands currently, not a compromise of something larger.  Any talk of anything larger was just that, talk, not Govt proposal, as I understand it.

Edit note: Quote marks amended, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 13:01:39 by chris from nailsea » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2010, 12:54:07 »

The initial DfT» (Department for Transport - about) announcement about electrification, the one that took everyone by surprise, included a map of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) encompassing Maidenhead to Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Swansea and Newbury at para 39 and at para 77, this:

It is currently expected that early works will take place between 2012 and 2014,
with the bulk of the construction between 2014 and 2016. Electric services will be introduced progressively: London to Oxford, Newbury and Bristol by the end of 2016, and London to Swansea by the end of 2017.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/rail-electrification.pdf

In that announcement there was only to be one line in the NW, which allowed for Liverpool to Manchester only.  A further announcement in Dec 2009 suddenly added other NW routes to Preston and Blackpool.  This followed various surprising Adonis speeches that seemed to imply more than the earlier announcementrs had mentioned, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2010, 13:25:51 »

I blame my memory - thanks for the reminder!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2010, 13:50:18 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

An ^850m revamp of Reading railway station has been confirmed in the Spending Review but other schemes are still in doubt.

Transport minister Theresa Villiers visited the town to confirm the project but no decision has been made on a ^15m roads revamp around the station.

In Reading, the major revamp of the town's station was confirmed but decisions on the electrification of the Great Western Main Line, which will run through Berkshire, and a new fleet of intercity trains were absent from the review.

The Department for Transport said it was still assessing a number of projects following the Spending Review, including the electrification of the western line and the roads improvement plan for Reading.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 21, 2010, 14:27:06 »

Odd that in all the spending review bumph it reads "the Government is supporting investment to improve journey reliability on Great Western Main Line services to Wales."  I just presumed (or hoped?) this actually meant the overall Reading redevelopment. 

They could have been so much more specific and avoided loads of debate if they'd been precise like earlier in the same section, where, for example, they wrote "station upgrades at Birmingham New Street".

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: