Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:06 London Paddington to Newbury
09:32 Maidenhead to Marlow
10:00 Marlow to Maidenhead
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
08:38 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
08:46 Newbury to London Paddington
08:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
09:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
09:14 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
10:06 London Paddington to Newbury
10:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
10:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
07:57 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:38 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 09:38:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1050920 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2010, 14:49:08 »

I think the detail comes in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)-specific announcement - due next week?

Anyone know which day next week yet?
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2010, 20:40:31 »

An interesting and optimistic take from the Financial Times:

Will Hammond find the money for more big transport schemes?

October 22, 2010 6:10pm by Jim Pickard

There is something curious in the way that several key transport decisions were left out of the CSR (Cab Secure Radio) on Wednesday. The four missing announcements were: the big order for Intercity Express trains from the Hitachi-led Agility consortium, the electrification of the Great Western line, another order for about a thousand train carriages and the Thameslink upgrade.

Sources in the Department for Transport insist that these interconnected upgrades are genuinely going to the wire. They depend, for example, on Agility^s ability to reduce its original ^7.5bn cost by a significant margin.

Yet the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)^s budget is now settled, albeit at 9.30pm on Tuesday, last of all the departments. Its capital spending is hardly taking a dent (down from ^7.7bn to ^7.5bn) although programme spending will fall from ^5.1bn to ^4.4bn (a rise in train fares will help to compensate).

Crossrail will go ahead, as George Osborne announced on Wednesday. What of the other four programmes? If they were being universally ditched, wouldn^t it make sense to have bundled that bad news up in Wednesday^s tsunami of cuts?

Philip Hammond is meant to be clarifying the decision in a few weeks. At which point the coalition is supposed to be into its period of ^growth stories^, a narrative which will involve a sequence of uplifting tales about renewed investment and spending to help UK (United Kingdom) plc. One might expect good news on rail projects to be part of this jolly grid. If not it would be a surprisingly bad piece of news management.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2010, 21:00:51 »

What of the other four programmes? If they were being universally ditched, wouldn^t it make sense to have bundled that bad news up in Wednesday^s tsunami of cuts?
My feeling is that upgrades and electrification will be wrapped up in franchises, longer franchise in exchange for committed investment from the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s with some coming from the public purse, I suspect that Network Rail will be reformatted in how it operates I am not convince that it will be carved up and handed to the TOC's because the sound of Ladbrook Grove, Hatfield, Potters Bar and Southall still rings loud in the public ear.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2010, 21:17:03 »

Thameslink & GW (Great Western) electrification to go, the other two to go ahead with cost cutting.

That's my bet.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2010, 19:35:28 »

Thameslink & GW (Great Western) electrification to go, the other two to go ahead with cost cutting.

That's my bet.

But as major Thameslink schemes are already under construction, Blackfriars' Bridge in particular, what is left that could sensibly be cancelled?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2010, 20:22:22 »

The rolling stock?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2010, 21:31:54 »

That's my bet.
But as major Thameslink schemes are already under construction, Blackfriars' Bridge in particular, what is left that could sensibly be cancelled?
The rolling stock?
The next part of the scheme Key Output 2 is London Bridge; Key Output 1 Blackfriars and the central core will not work correctly without this stage.  The next batch of rolling stock has been frozen pending the CSR (Cab Secure Radio) it is likely the full order of rolling stock will be cut with the train lengths being reduced from the proposed 12 cars this would save an lot of platform extensions and traction power supply upgrading and hence money, Thameslink is I believe over spent in Key Output Stage 1 and Key Output Stage 2 is under the hammer to get it back on budget.

With GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification one would hope HMG would look holistically at the TV, KV and Crossrail services but that is a big ask

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2010, 21:44:55 »

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification gets axed.  But it would annoy me though, especially after all that fuss about it in the press and TV news back in JULY 2009 that the GWML was to be electrified and that work on it would so say start "immediately"!!  When in fact no work was started on it, and it gets axed.

Maybe the title of this thread in the meantime should lose the "gets go-ahead" untill we know what's happening for sure.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 21:57:16 by XPT » Logged
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2010, 21:49:49 »

It would look pretty poor for one of the country's main inter city routes to still be running diesel trains if huge resources are being spent on building HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2010, 21:52:22 »

Maybe the title of this thread in the meantime should lose the "gets go-ahead" untill we know what's happening for sure.

That's a fair comment, XPT.

However, just out of courtesy, I'll invite the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) to comment, before making such a change?

CfN.  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2010, 22:03:29 »

I suspect the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification will not be canceled, it will be placed on hold pending re-franchise of the route with electrification being part of the bid.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2010, 23:11:19 »

I suspect the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification will not be canceled, it will be placed on hold pending re-franchise of the route with electrification being part of the bid.

Yup, that wouldn't surprise me at all - hinted at by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) over the summer.  Might be the best solution?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2010, 10:12:28 »

Hmm - wouldn't that make for an expensive bid? Surely in these hardened times, HMG would be looking for Premia payments rather than requiring subsidy?
You might get Maidenhead to oxford being offered, but I doubt a bidder would offer much more. How much oes it cost a mile?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:47 »

Yes, it certainly has its drawbacks.

Perhaps the next bidder for the Greater Western franchise would agree to fund say 50% of the costs in return for a long franchise of 15-20 years?  After all the current deal originally was to result in premium payments from FGW (First Great Western) to the Government of ^1.131 billion over the 10-year length, which I think is more than the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification was slated to cost? 

I know the financial outlook was a little brighter back then, but with repayments spread over 20-years perhaps it would be a realistic way of getting the job done?  First Group (or another winning bidder) would benefit from the effects (cheaper running costs, faster journeys, more capacity) for many years allowing them to justify the expense perhaps?  I do worry about ever more complex funding arrangements though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:47 »

ONe of the things that came out of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Franchise consultation meeting that I attended, was that there are major difficulties, caused by EU» (European Union - about) legislation, in offering franchises longer than 15 years. The detail wasn't spelt out, but I understood that they'd get a better return overall if they were kept to 15 years or less.

The DfT are therefore realistically looking at terms of 12-15 years going forward.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: