Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:55:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1046666 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:39 »

Optimistic thoughts of wires to Plymouth either of the route has not had any consideration, there has been not feasibility study or outline power supply study.

Doubt network rail would put wires along the dawlish seawall
Nothing like a challenge  Roll Eyes  With the right selection of equipment and perhaps a higher level of maintenance it is possible.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2011, 12:21:34 »

It was decided a while ago that the Crossrail Abbey Wood branch would be third rail to keep the costs down

I did recall a suggestion last year that they'd use DC (Direct Current) to avoid rebuilding the Connaught Tunnel, but then discussions in other forums suggested this was during the 'silly season' where all sorts of scope reductions were being widely discussed - remember all the talk of cancelling Abbey Wood, or Maidenhead, or both?   

Eventually they announced that Crossrail would go ahead completely.

So I just asked Crossrail, and here's their reply:

Crossrail Ref: CLR-00-031177

Thank you for your enquiry dated 1st March  2011 which has been passed to me for attention.

25kV electrification wil be used for all Crossrail trains including the section to Abbey Wood. The Connaught Tunnel will be re-built to accommodate the larger clearance for the overhead line equipment.

It is probable that if the route was extended beyond Abbey Wood then the trains would still use 25kV overhead electirication as it would be uneconomic to have dual voltage trains for that section, however there are currently no plans to extend the route

Unless you know different.

Paul
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2011, 14:51:40 »

New installations of third rail are not allowed, only extensions of existing systems.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2011, 16:07:41 »

New installations of third rail are not allowed, only extensions of existing systems.

Yes, but as 'extensions' are allowed to include such mileages as Basingstoke to Exeter, Southampton to Salisbury, or Reigate to Guildford, they have a lot of leeway in the matter. 

In any case, Crossrail's route through the Connaught Tunnel to Woolwich is as much a replacement of an existing third rail route as the ELL's extension between Shoreditch and Highbury was.  Another way of looking at it is as an extension of existing third rail from Abbey Wood towards Canary Wharf - which would also be allowed.

All in all I think the 'no new installations' excuse is irrelevant.

Paul
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2011, 16:13:14 »

Basingstoke to Exeter
I believe the NR» (Network Rail - home page) plan for this route should it ever be electrified is to use 25 kV OHL (Over-Head Line).  By your arguments above it would be possible to electrify all of Great Britain with third rail as you could just keep extending it.  It seems the rules would only prevent you installing third rail on the Northern Ireland network.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2011, 19:38:21 »

It was decided a while ago that the Crossrail Abbey Wood branch would be third rail to keep the costs down
I did recall a suggestion last year that they'd use DC (Direct Current) to avoid rebuilding the Connaught Tunnel, but then discussions in other forums suggested this was during the 'silly season' where all sorts of scope reductions were being widely discussed - remember all the talk of cancelling Abbey Wood, or Maidenhead, or both?   
Eventually they announced that Crossrail would go ahead completely.
So I just asked Crossrail, and here's their reply:
Crossrail Ref: CLR-00-031177
Thank you for your enquiry dated 1st March  2011 which has been passed to me for attention.
25kV electrification wil be used for all Crossrail trains including the section to Abbey Wood. The Connaught Tunnel will be re-built to accommodate the larger clearance for the overhead line equipment.
It is probable that if the route was extended beyond Abbey Wood then the trains would still use 25kV overhead electirication as it would be uneconomic to have dual voltage trains for that section, however there are currently no plans to extend the route
Unless you know different.
Paul
Thanks for this Paul, I have not had much contact with the Crossrail Project team lately.

The "extension" of third rail is as said a bit open, but I believe the current philosophy is not to do major route where it does not meet another third rail line. A Basingstoke / Exeter electrification would be 25kV as it would likely to be cheaper, but North Downs line would be third rail but as these 2 routes are not even on the list to even think about who knows, as a point of interest the last great third rail extension Bournemouth / Weymouth is in need of enhancement also the power equipment is a poorer state than equipment elsewhere on the network twice its age.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2011, 20:28:13 »

The "extension" of third rail is as said a bit open, but I believe the current philosophy is not to do major route where it does not meet another third rail line. A Basingstoke / Exeter electrification would be 25kV as it would likely to be cheaper, but North Downs line would be third rail but as these 2 routes are not even on the list to even think about who knows...

Yes I'd agree Exeter would be AC and use dual voltage stock, but the main point is that it would be for cost reasons, not because third rail is banned.  The wording used in the electrification RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) was:

"In view of the route length and service density, AC electrification is considered likely to be the more cost effective option for this route. This would be further examined in the detailed development of a scheme."

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2011, 01:10:54 »

I'm wondering whether the recent sad events in Japan are likely to have any effect on the building of the new trains?

I'd imagine that Hitachi were in the process of re-tooling their factory to begin the new build. I'm sure the Japanese government want to get their industrial capacity back to full strength as quickly as possible, but would they not be concentrating on domestic production ahead of export orders?

Material, workers and resources are likely to be prioritised toward domestic rebuilding so this could have a knock on effect for the delivery date of the Super Expresses.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #593 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:39 »

I suspect power generation for factories is the first concern
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 18, 2011, 09:04:27 »

Hitachi's factopry is in Kasado which is to the south of Japan and not effected by the quake.   I work in the law and we have  a number of law firms we work which are based in Tokyo.  We have had a stream of rather moving emails and faxes this week saying that it is business as usual in Tokyo whcih is much closer to the distruction.  I suspect that all sectors of the economy are keen to carry on working as much as possible to keep the economy afloat.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 18, 2011, 14:26:50 »

The earthquake, tsunami and the nuclear power plant disaster will effect Japan as a whole for a few weeks but this is a very well structured and wealthy country they will get the vast majority of their industry and commerce working very quickly

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: March 19, 2011, 01:05:07 »

Why is this? I think that, on routes where IC (Inter City) stock would never venture, 3rd rail should be considered as it might be cheaper (though the stock would need to be dual-voltage to allow through running onto sections that would be shared by IC trains). It's not like 3rd rail shoes and pantographs weigh very much, or do they? 3rd rail might also be a better solution in rural areas as OHLE adds visual impact of a railway on anything scenic (though with photos I've seen of HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) it's often more the light grey that breaks the countryside than the OHLE, using weathered balast might have helped).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 19, 2011, 07:53:19 »

Why is this? I think that, on routes where IC (Inter City) stock would never venture, 3rd rail should be considered as it might be cheaper (though the stock would need to be dual-voltage to allow through running onto sections that would be shared by IC trains). It's not like 3rd rail shoes and pantographs weigh very much, or do they? 3rd rail might also be a better solution in rural areas as OHLE adds visual impact of a railway on anything scenic (though with photos I've seen of HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) it's often more the light grey that breaks the countryside than the OHLE, using weathered balast might have helped).
This restriction on "new" exposed top contact third (and forth) rails systems put in place about 25 or 30 years ago by the Dept of Transport (as was) also for infrastructure owners like Network Rail they also have to consider the "The Electricity at Work 1989 Regulations" made under the 1974 HSW Act.  On the national network the option to use a shrouded bottom as used on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) is not a practical option.

All recent rolling stock is dual voltage its just that both collection systems are only fitted in areas where both are used.

Third rail infrastructure is not cheap as a member of the traveling public you only ever see the conrail or the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") masts and wire which compared to con rail looks expensive, however 750v third rail needs a 2 to 4 MW substation very 4 miles and a track paralleling hut (TPH (trains per hour)) in between in high density area the TPH's are often replaced with substations.  The substations have transformer rectifier units 2 to 4 MW some have two, high voltage switchgear 33kV and 750v dc switchgear, then there is the high voltage (33kV) cables between substations (we do not take the power direct from a nearby street 4 MW is a larger demand than most housing estates) where as 25kV OLE has a substation every 25 miles on the old systems but on the new systems like HS1 and the plan for GWML (Great Western Main Line) every 50 miles with track sectioning cabins every 7 miles. 

willc

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 29, 2011, 20:45:57 »

Network Rail is seeking tenders for overhead line installation work for the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and North West projects.

(Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about)-16f8/SearchCategoryID-2.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/PLANS-TO-ROLL-OUT-ELECTRIFICATION-GATHER-PACE-16f8/SearchCategoryID-2.aspx
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #599 on: April 01, 2011, 17:56:10 »

David cameron has said that electrification to Swansea could happen:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/04/01/rail-electrification-to-swansea-still-being-considered-says-prime-minister-91466-28442719/

Hope it is true although i have my doubts
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: