08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:56:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1045280 times)
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 11, 2011, 18:02:49 »

I'm curious about the details of where the wires will go... will EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) be able to run between Bristol and Cardiff?  How far SW from Temple Meads will they go for commuter trains etc or have these not been finalised yet?  Are there any "blow up" maps?  All I've seen just show the overview.

Matt
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 11, 2011, 18:05:08 »

How far SW from Temple Meads will they go for commuter trains etc or have these not been finalised yet?  Are there any "blow up" maps?  All I've seen just show the overview.
Under the current plan the wires will end at Bristol, commuter trains to Weston and Taunton will remain DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) operated.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 11, 2011, 18:17:16 »

And EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s would be able to run Bristol to Cardiff as the Temple Meads to Patchway diversionary route is being electrified.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 11, 2011, 20:09:34 »

I believe the only EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) services planned are the Thames / Kennett Valley with cascaded 319's from Thameslink, I have not heard of any proposals to use EMUs in the Bristol / Cardiff area.  The thing about electrification is once it hits an area the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s want to make more use of it so my guess is the business case will be made to extend the wires and operate EMUs

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:28 »

There might be a case to split Cardiff-Pompy at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and use EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) for the electrified bit
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #695 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:39 »

People won't want to change trains....
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #696 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:59 »

Wasn't FGW (First Great Western)  & network rail etc looking at the possibility if they could be cleared for the route to use the class 166's on the Cardiff - Portsmouth Services?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #697 on: May 17, 2011, 12:43:51 »

News to me.....rumours abound though.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 17, 2011, 14:18:53 »

Wasn't FGW (First Great Western)  & network rail etc looking at the possibility if they could be cleared for the route to use the class 166's on the Cardiff - Portsmouth Services?

Yes - it has been mentioned in the various Network Rail annual 'route business plans' for three or four years now, and has definitely been discussed in this forum before.  So it's more than a rumour. 

It would require appropriate gauge clearance though.  The subject is usually raised in the context of how the 165/6 cannot possibly be used anywhere away from their current routes; however I'd point out that they were recently cleared between Redhill and Selhurst, and between Basingstoke and Guildford via Woking, in the run up to last Christmas's diversions.  Ths didn't appear to require any significant structure work, so it shouldn't be assumed there would be any major problems anywhere else.

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 17, 2011, 14:47:37 »

I agree, but I suspect that we might long term see service pattern changes.  The ability to run EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) from Cardiff to Taunton would strengthen the case for electrification beyond Bristol
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 17, 2011, 14:48:29 »

The main flows end at Bristol though. Whenever I travel on Portsmouth/Cardiff services I always join and leave at Bristol, and it seems the majority of passengers do the same.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #701 on: May 17, 2011, 15:00:50 »

So you make the case for not wiring BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to Taunton then....
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 17, 2011, 18:06:36 »

I've often wondered what the problem with the 165/166s is when it comes to gauge clearance. They seem to operate on a fairly wide cross section of routes at the moment. What's the main issue regarding them working further afield?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #703 on: May 17, 2011, 18:24:37 »

So you make the case for not wiring BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to Taunton then....

I don't see the point of stopping the wires at Tauton it gives no real operation advantage except for local EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s serving stations to Bristol and Cardiff.

You'd still be looking at diesel or bi mode for services fro Exeter and beyond fro both FGW (First Great Western) and  XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services.

The logical places to stop the wires from Bristol are Exmouth, Paignton and Plymouth. With Berks and Hants infill.

Just think of diesel you'd save on the Devon banks. 4000hp at top revs must suck in an awful lot of precious fuel.

Having got to Plymouth then Penzance plus the Cornish branches must be the next goal. To basically eliminate diesel West of Plymouth.

As the line speeds are basically low it must be possible to use a lighter catenery than for London to Bristol and therefore reduce the overall cost.

I just hope Network rail can electrify the GWML (Great Western Main Line) to budget and ontime so that there is enough confidence to allow the electrification teams to just keep going West.

That's why loco haulage with swaps between Diesel and Electric locos makes sense the changover moves as the wires progress.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 17, 2011, 18:33:15 »

I've often wondered what the problem with the 165/166s is when it comes to gauge clearance. They seem to operate on a fairly wide cross section of routes at the moment. What's the main issue regarding them working further afield?

Personally, I think I'd file it under railway myths. 

As has been discussed fairly regularly elsewhere, there is a world of difference between 'can't be cleared' and 'hasn't been cleared yet'. 

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: