Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 18:12:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol tram plan may replace bendy buses plan (merged topics)  (Read 26391 times)
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 10:30:25 »

So are these proper rail based trams, or trams that can run on the road and rails?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 01:20:50 »

Eh?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 02:43:27 »

So are these proper rail based trams, or trams that can run on the road and rails?

Do you mean something like the parry people movers?. If I am correct these vehicles are lighter than normal trams meaning that the railways can just be put down along the road and dont require stuff like telephone cable to be diverted
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 16:26:57 »

Ah, I see. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. I remember them on the harbour side in Bristol.

They aren't pretty!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 14:52:28 »

Just found this on the Bristol Evening post's website:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/NEW-TRAM-VISION-FUTURE/article-3517420-detail/article.html

Good idea in theory, i would like it to come off but i have my doubts. As for the trams themselves, the only company i can think of are parry people mover, although is there that company called trampower?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:53 »

Maybe the Coffee Shop should club together to send Bristol Council to Karlsruhe, Kassel and Nordhausen to see proper tram/trains in operation.

Trams through the town centre at 600 DV and running out on DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about)/HSB lines sharing with other trains. Karlsruhe trams are dual voltage, Kassel has both dual voltage and EDs whilst Norhausen is ED and metre gauge.

Karlsruhr trams cross the main lines on the level at Heilbronn, I've also had a steam run up a Karlsruhe tram line.

Trams in Kassel operate through Wilhelmshohe (equivalent to Temple Meads) which is the through station on the North South High Speed line with ICE/DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) and freight traffic.

Nordhausen ED trams share the line with 1897 Mallets, 1956 2-10-2Ts on 8 coach passenger trains, DMUs and 500 t freight trains of standard gauge bogie hopper wagons on rollboks.

Therefore, there are NO TECHNICAL or SAFETY Reasons  why properly built tram/trains cannot share heavy rail lines with different traffic mixes and also run  on the street through the town centre.

So Bristol Portishead 25KV to Temple Meads with a loop through docks to town center 600 DC (Direct Current). Temple Meads to Severn Beach, Parkway (via bank and Avonmouth) Yate and Thyerington 25Kv.

Town centre loop to join somewhere on the bank and possibly take over the old Midland line to Yate.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 17:25:30 »

Sunderland to Pelaw on the Tyne Wear Metro sees lightweight units of similar build quality to trams operating together with heavy rail passenger and freight.

There's no need for the expense of a trip to Germany IMHO (in my humble opinion), the fact that the Metro has no street running is surely irrelevant to the main question which is about safety on the shared tracks...

Unless people have an issue with a class 66 being let loose down the local high street accidentally...  Grin

Paul
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 18:12:15 »

Would be interesting to see a class 66  running along a tramline through Bristol
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 21:47:30 »

A video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Trams plan unveiled for Bristol harbour

Plans have been unveiled for a pioneering tram system in Bristol which its backers have said will help cut congestion on the city's roads.

It would use ultra-light trams which campaigners say are cheaper and cleaner than buses.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:10 »

Would be interesting to see a class 66  running along a tramline through Bristol

You get standard gauge Stadler units running down dual gauge (3 rails metre standard) tram lines in Zwicau.

I understand they have special wheel profiles to cope with the different rails.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:16 »

Just seen this in the evening post:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/home

seems these are ex london. I wonder how long before 1 decides to go up in flames in Bristol. Then again i hope they dont and maybe no CT plus will give first some competition in Bristol
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 22:17:49 »

From the Bristol Post:

Plans in place for bendy bus stop outside station

Fears Bristol's proposed ^50 million bendy bus route will fail to adequately serve passengers at Temple Meads railway station have been eased.

A public inquiry into the much-criticised project yesterday heard plans were being drawn up to ensure buses travelling on the route between the city centre and Ashton Vale would stop directly outside the station.

One of transport campaigners' main objections to the guided bus route, known as a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)) system, was its lack of a dedicated bus stop serving the station. They complained that the proposed stop for Temple Meads was located 400m away and across the Temple Way dual carriageway at Temple Circus roundabout.

But at the public inquiry, which will decide the fate of the Government-backed project, it was announced plans are in place to move the stop to outside the Old Passenger Shed in Friary, Temple Quay.

Under the plans, buses would travel along Friary and back again to reach the passenger shed, which could house the station's new entrance when it is turned into a terminus for services using the planned high-speed electric train service to and from London.

Speaking at the inquiry at Armada House in Bristol city centre, the city council's service manager for major projects Bob Fowler said another option would be for buses to go along Friary, past the Wetherspoons pub in Temple Quay, along Temple Back East and back onto Temple Way.

But Mr Fowler told the hearing that the plans to locate the stop in Temple Circus may have to go ahead regardless, because the other proposals to have a closer stop had not been agreed. He said they were part of negotiations over the creation of a new transport hub on a piece of land next to Temple Meads called Plot 6.

Mr Fowler said the plans for a bus stop in Friary "were still the ambition of the project". He admitted that the Temple Circus stop would involve passengers having to cross at two crossings to reach Temple Meads.

On Tuesday, objector Sue Flint, of Transport for Greater Bristol Alliance, told the inquiry the BRT route was "not a good example of connectivity" because it failed to serve the city's main railway station. She said: "The bus stop isn't near Temple Meads. It will require passengers to walk over a number of road junctions to reach the station and the Enterprise Zone."

At yesterday's hearing, Mr Fowler said the city could take confidence from the success of a BRT route recently set up in Cambridge. But he conceded that creating the guided busway in Bristol would lead to the loss of many on-street car parking spaces in Cumberland Road.

The inquiry, which is being heard because objections were made against the plans, started on Tuesday and is set to last six weeks. The route involves buses travelling on the road as well as on sections of guided concrete track from 2015. It is not clear whether bendy buses, double deckers, or other vehicles will be used.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 22:12:49 »

If Brunel was alive today, I wonder what he would do?

He would be turning in his grave!

To bring this up to date:
BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) seem so wedded to the Bus Rabid Transit idea, that they will rubbish anything else. The other partners in West of English Partnership don't much care what happens in Bristol.
We have already got Boris's buses, running the park and ride routes. They hold a lot more passengers than a double decker, and empty / fill more quickly.
WEP spent ^1m on the Public Inquiry into the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) route from Ashton Gate to Temple Meads. The opposition group spent ^12,000 and managed to rubbish the business case.
The housing development that the BRT would serve by Long Ashton is not going ahead.
Portishead railway is now a very strong likelihood. This will cut the number of people using the LA park and ride considerably.
"Taking confidence from the success of Cambridge" is a bit rich. That opened 3 years late at almost thrice the price. The council there have earmarked millions to fund the legal battle against the contractors that seems inevitable.
I haven't heard anyone say that ripping up a rail route for this glorified bus lane is a good idea. So much has been spent on bus projects in Bristol, with very little modal change, that we could have spent on real transport. The Severn Beach line shows what can be done to railways with just a little imagination.[/rant over]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 22:31:50 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 22:16:18 »

I think he would be frustrated by all the "hoops" new schemes have to jump through before seeing the light of day.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 15:24:06 »

Bristol 'bendy bus' plan scrapped from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) BRistol website

Plans to run bendy buses on the proposed "rapid transit" routes through Bristol have been scrapped.

The Liberal Democrat-run authority said it will now look at using longer single decker buses with multiple doors to allow passengers quick entry and exit.

Deputy leader Jon Rogers said it was part of a package of "radical changes" being proposed for the bus project.

"These buses will cost less and allow us to put more of them on and increase frequencies on our routes," he said.

He added the authority also planned to bring the new buses directly into Bristol Temple Meads railway station instead of them stopping on the nearby roundabout.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: