Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:48:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NXEA strikes  (Read 9406 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009, 16:32:16 »

Is it me, or do people think these strikes are really selfish? From what I've read in the press it seems that they want a pay rise.

At the same time, they are holding the thousands of commuters to ransom, many who have lost their jobs or taking pay cuts or freezes.

It's really not on! The results of the actions could loose businessmen thousands of pounds, and create the risk of people getting the sack as they are constantly late for work.

One letter or comment in the paper said "...they're lucky they have jobs in the recession".

Any other views?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 16:52:09 »

Is it me, or do people think these strikes are really selfish? From what I've read in the press it seems that they want a pay rise.

At the same time, they are holding the thousands of commuters to ransom, many who have lost their jobs or taking pay cuts or freezes.

It's really not on! The results of the actions could loose businessmen thousands of pounds, and create the risk of people getting the sack as they are constantly late for work.

One letter or comment in the paper said "...they're lucky they have jobs in the recession".

Any other views?

I heartily concur. I made similar points re: CrossCountry industrial action on another thread. Is there any way we can get Bob Crow to join Richard Bowker in the UAE?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 18:46:36 »

i agree aswell,in these times we find ourselves in i say lucky to have a well paid job that is also fairly secure.

on a similar note fgw west drivers have been offered a very good pay rise in return for learning hst amongst other things and are in process of being ballated,interesting to see if they accept it in the current climate.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 20:06:57 »

Yes, but according to the press it was not over conditions but pay! Meanwhile thousands of London workers have pay cuts and freezes AND are held to ransom by these strikes.

I sympathise with the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) staff for being annoyed with the cleaning issue, and I also think that their strike which will only affect low levels of passengers is better than a NXEA (National Express East Anglia)-like walkout.

Perhaps Tube and rail strikes should be banned - they cause chaos.

Edit: Large missprint!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 20:25:16 by Btline » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 20:19:44 »

As a regular commuter from Nailsea to Swindon I think most TM(resolve)'s do a reasonable job.. Some do an excellent job. And some, well.. let's just leave it there.  Probably like most jobs really.

My only gripe would be that ticket checks seem a bit thin on the ground.

Sitting the other side of the buffet I probably don't get to see the c**p you have to put up with a lot of the time. But I have no doubt what you say is true. In recent years I have noticed that the quality of information during any delay seems much better, and most travellers seem to accept it stoically.  Sadly not all though.  

However, in the current environment those seeking improvements to their terms and conditions (pay rises or whatever) can't expect much sympathy from the travelling public, who are generally seeing their conditions worsened. But I can understand why asking TM's to collect litter would be resisted.      
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 22:27:19 »

My main point is that the majority of posters on this subject seem to be saying that rail staff should not have the right to take industrial action because it annoys the posters, and to hell with the staff, just so long as they aren't inconvenienced.  If the industrial action involved rail staff not selling or checking tickets, I wonder how many posters would be against it.

I think one poster has questioned whether they should be banned. The others (including myself) have expressed a lack of sympathy in the current climate for the action being taken. But where have we said that rail staff should not have the right to take industrial action? Please don't put words into our mouths. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 22:59:51 »

National Express should just forefit their franchises. Whilst the service is piss poor (removal of popular restaurant services, 321s on Norwich - London, completely wasteful rebranding exercise) passengers are left to get fecked!

I support the strike, show NX who's boss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 23:31:51 »

I think one poster has questioned whether they should be banned.

Ok, it would not be preferable to deny them industrial action. But when you see the problems strikes like these cause...

I was at Liverpool Street on Thursday. It was absolute chaos! The departure board was blank. The Stansted services were only running 1tph instead of 4 - how many people missed flights? The others services were packed - this was off peak at lunchtime! I bet there was panic in the evening rush as commuters learned that some long distance trains would stop at 6.30! (luckily I was well clear speeding away passing High Wycombe on Chiltern by then) How many people were stranded?

I expect lots of people missed flights. And millions was lost.

So it's this that makes me wonder the above.

National Express should just forefit their franchises. Whilst the service is poor (removal of popular restaurant services, 321s on Norwich - London, completely wasteful rebranding exercise) passengers are left to get ****!

I agree. Grin Although perhaps let them keep c2c. Even NX can't destroy a franchise that small & simple!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 00:21:30 »

There's a rather good summary of the present position for National Express in The Herald - but, in view of the copyright warning at the foot of their article, I'm a bit wary about quoting any of it here. Roll Eyes

However, you, dear readers, are of course welcome to click on the link below!  Grin
http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/news/display.var.2523081.0.National_Express_bids_to_stay_on_track_amid_woes.php

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 00:24:30 »

I think one poster has questioned whether they should be banned.

Ok, it would not be preferable to deny them industrial action. But when you see the problems strikes like these cause...

I was at Liverpool Street on Thursday. It was absolute chaos! The departure board was blank. The Stansted services were only running 1tph instead of 4 - how many people missed flights? The others services were packed - this was off peak at lunchtime! I bet there was panic in the evening rush as commuters learned that some long distance trains would stop at 6.30! (luckily I was well clear speeding away passing High Wycombe on Chiltern by then) How many people were stranded?

I expect lots of people missed flights. And millions was lost.

So it's this that makes me wonder the above.

National Express should just forefit their franchises. Whilst the service is poor (removal of popular restaurant services, 321s on Norwich - London, completely wasteful rebranding exercise) passengers are left to get ****!

I agree. Grin Although perhaps let them keep c2c. Even NX can't destroy a franchise that small & simple!

To be fair, the strike action was announced by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) on the 15th, giving over two weeks for passengers to make alternative arrangements. Whilst regrettable it is the staff of NXEA (National Express East Anglia)'s legal right to strike and from what I understand they voted 9 to 1.

Compare this to other industries which have held wildcat strikes affecting the flow of fuel, costing many, as panic buying pushed up prices. Also the recent tube strikes affected millions but everything seems to have returned to normal now!
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 11:39:12 »

Not taking one side or the other but here's a thought for all those above...

What if the people on strike were the ones who issue tickets at stations? All the trains would run but there would be little or no chance of getting a ticket. Would anyone complain of the possible free travel?

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 15:55:38 »

On a related note, it's being reported that Bob Crow achieved an 8% pay rise in 2008...

http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2009/08/rmt-rewards-bob-with-8-increase.html
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 17:04:30 »

On a related note, it's being reported that Bob Crow achieved an 8% pay rise in 2008...

And the ASLE&F, Keith Norman, does very well for himself on about ^125k a year. And due to the ridiculously out-dated rules of the Union, as he's now over 60 I believe he can't be ousted from his position until he retires at 65.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: