Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 19:52:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 399018 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: November 15, 2022, 16:46:21 »

And a strongly worded rebuttal of those words from Paul Bigland:

https://paulbigland.blog/2022/11/15/simon-jenkins-hs2-and-the-tunnel-that-never-was/

Blimey he really doesn't like Simon Jenkins does he?

I get the rebuttal of the tunnel story , but he seems to fight rather shy of addressing the overarching theme & substance of the article?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 15, 2022, 18:05:56 »

Last story I can find online about NHS Trusts using Windows XP is from 2019. There are however a couple of stories from early 2022 mention Trusts still using Windows 7. Most Trusts are now on at least Windows 10.

I was on some calls with Microsoft about Exchange 2010 earlier this year but Windows 7 and XP came up and a lot of the NHS IT people on the call said they still had XP in many areas. Often as standalone machines but the point I wanted to make is that what often seems money wasted on admin isn't always. Win 7 enhanced support is doubling per machine each year and that's going to get pricey for the NHS without some investment.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 15, 2022, 18:11:21 »

And a strongly worded rebuttal of those words from Paul Bigland:

https://paulbigland.blog/2022/11/15/simon-jenkins-hs2-and-the-tunnel-that-never-was/

Blimey he really doesn't like Simon Jenkins does he?

I get the rebuttal of the tunnel story , but he seems to fight rather shy of addressing the overarching theme & substance of the article?

That's because the Simon Jenkins article lacks substance, and the use of a false argument highlighted by Paul Bigland make the Guardian article lack credibility

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 16, 2022, 15:10:24 »

This viaduct should be easy enough to dismantle. It's only held together with some poxy resin.

https://youtu.be/ohip-tBu_TU

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 17, 2022, 07:12:30 »

And whilst I don't want to stray into politics its a bit too easy to say cut admin/pen pushers etc. There's probably an argument for more investment in things like IT systems which have been neglected to avoid headlines about buying PCs rather than nurses. Many trusts are still on Window XP and have antiquated systems that will add a significant overhead to costs and efficiencies.

It used to be that one of the civil service departments running the oldest version of Windows was the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), it was ancient even by the NHS systems I work with.

Edit: Fix quotes (Red Squirrel)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:38:07 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 17, 2022, 12:34:41 »

According to the Evening Standard:

Chancellor says no cuts to capital budgets

Jeremy Hunt tells the Commons that there will be no cuts to capital budgets to invest in infrastructure in the next two years. They will be then maintained for the following three years.

“This means that although we are not growing our capital budget as planned, it will still increase from £63bn four years ago to £114bn next year and £115bn the year after – and remain at that level, more than double what it was under the last Labour government,” he says.

Among the key infrastructure pledges are:

- Core Northern Powerhouse Rail, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) to Manchester and East West Rail.

- He says the Government will continue with the new hospitals programme and gigabit broadband rollout pledged under Boris Johnson.

- Further devolution, with deals to bring mayors to Suffolk, Norfolk and Cornwall

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 17, 2022, 21:43:55 »

The suggestion I've seen is that rail delivery is "reset" back to what was proposed in the Integrated Rail Plan for the Midlands & North, which is a pretty impressive shopping list of projects if it all gets built, though the timelines are not exactly ambitious, for example Midland Mainline electrification being complete abound 2030.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 18, 2022, 06:41:07 »

The suggestion I've seen is that rail delivery is "reset" back to what was proposed in the Integrated Rail Plan for the Midlands & North, which is a pretty impressive shopping list of projects if it all gets built, though the timelines are not exactly ambitious, for example Midland Mainline electrification being complete abound 2030.

The comments I've heard from senior leaders in the Rail Industry the current Government (at least at the time of writing this post  Grin ) are committed to rail and rail electrification as it fits in with the 'green and sustainable' agenda.

My personal belief is that big ticket items will continue however existing infrastructure will be sweated ie not be renewed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 18, 2022, 07:16:07 »

The comments I've heard from senior leaders in the Rail Industry the current Government (at least at the time of writing this post  Grin ) are committed to rail and rail electrification as it fits in with the 'green and sustainable' agenda.

My personal belief is that big ticket items will continue however existing infrastructure will be sweated ie not be renewed

Some of it is perspiring pretty heavily already, but the commitment to electrification is sensible and welcome. It costs money, but will ultimately save it, as well as being more environmentally friendly. Previous postponements on cost grounds mean that the price now will be a lot higher, although I hope the equipment will be more advanced and better than some of the earlier kit.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 18, 2022, 07:58:39 »

I do not expect that works already under way will be abandoned or left unfinished, so London to Birmingham will be built. North of Birmingham I expect to be not actually cancelled but to be endlessly deferred.

If we are serious about the climate emergency, then the extra capacity for both passengers and freight will be needed in order to reduce flying and driving. North of Birmingham then existing routes should suffice.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 18, 2022, 08:57:21 »

...North of Birmingham I expect to be not actually cancelled but to be endlessly deferred. ...

Mr Hunt announced yesterday, without qualification, that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) will be built to Manchester. I take that to mean built to Manchester without additional delay. Naive? Very possibly but it would make my choice of which party to vote for much easier.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 18, 2022, 16:01:44 »

...North of Birmingham I expect to be not actually cancelled but to be endlessly deferred. ...

Mr Hunt announced yesterday, without qualification, that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) will be built to Manchester. I take that to mean built to Manchester without additional delay. Naive? Very possibly but it would make my choice of which party to vote for much easier.
Also expect as part of the CP7 NR» (Network Rail - home page) determination hopefully good news on the re-signalling of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) North of Crewe to take advantage of HS2 for services to Scotland

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 18, 2022, 21:04:10 »

Also expect as part of the CP7 NR» (Network Rail - home page) determination hopefully good news on the re-signalling of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) North of Crewe to take advantage of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) for services to Scotland

Will that need reinstatement of the Golbourne link, or is there a Plan B?

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 19, 2022, 07:11:44 »

Also expect as part of the CP7 NR» (Network Rail - home page) determination hopefully good news on the re-signalling of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) North of Crewe to take advantage of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) for services to Scotland

Will that need reinstatement of the Golbourne link, or is there a Plan B?

The re-signalling of the WCML will be needed (installed in the late 1960's / early 1970's) irrespective of how HS2 links to the WCML for the Scottish services

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 22, 2022, 10:37:36 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) have put out some new pictures of Euston Station. There are four linked from this page, plus two older ones (which may still be valid, I guess). The geography is a bit confusing. Coburg Street and Drummond Street run along the sides of the site, but only the Coburg Street view shows the station like this on its right side. The Drummond Street view is out of the untouched part, and across Coburg Street. The southern view is up Melton Street, and the northern view also from a a distance across a square that's still a building site.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: