Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:07:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 393866 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 18, 2013, 19:47:40 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) most definitely in the news today, with the Institute for Economic Affairs claiming that costs could reach almost double the current estimate, and the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England claiming that construction would affect the lives of more than half a million people - this Guardian article is a good summarizer.

Also worth noting that the IEA report argues that their claimed ^80bn HS2 price tag could deliver ^320bn of value if spent on other projects. I suspect though, that road schemes would figure rather more prominently in the IEA proposals than the Squirrel Formula would allow...

Worth looking at Richard Wellings' other public utterances (Google him!) - we should all be wary when people called 'Richard' start making pronouncements about rail, particularly those with doctorates. Frankly I'm rather surprised at the Guardian for giving the man any publicity.

If you're in any doubt about where he's coming from, here's what he has to say about Britain's railways in general:

A far better option would be to move towards proper privatisation. Taxpayer subsidies could be phased out; loss-making lines could be closed; and investment could be restricted to those projects that were profitable.

Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 20:07:06 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: August 18, 2013, 20:13:47 »

He's nearly a laugh, but he's really a cry.

You haven't been out watching those pigs flying over Battersea Power Station again, have you?...

Still, why not quote from a song written by one of Maggie's biggest fans, when we are on the verge of class warfare...

...apparently.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2013, 21:27:40 »

You haven't been out watching those pigs flying over Battersea Power Station again, have you?...

Still, why not quote from a song written by one of Maggie's biggest fans, when we are on the verge of class warfare...

...apparently.
Indeed I have - apologies for editing it out when I found a better quote; bad form.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 18, 2013, 21:38:51 »

I think that the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) issue has been muddled, as usual by sectional interest lobbying from the industries that want the contracts and UK (United Kingdom) Regions that want infrastructure without the bill.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) there are two issues; the desirability of TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse)'s operating on the InterCity (dates me!) network and the need for more capacity particularly on the WCML (West Coast Main Line).

The capacity issue is I contend because of the amount of freight routed this way, especially South of Rugby, not because of IC (Inter City) (VWC) & LM (London Midland - recent franchise) traffic.

The TGV issue depends on how far and at what cost the UK rail system can be made suitable.

The capacity issue could be addressed by reopening the 34 miles of the GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) line between Calvert and Rugby, in many ways much the same route as HS2 but for freight mainly. While there will always be more congestion nearer London, there do seem to be a lot of disused loops etc closer in.

The TGV issue could be addressed by easing the curves on the main lines including some new stretches and improving clearances. Not every km of track needs to be cleared for 250mph. About 25% of UK main line route needs such  attention (our lines  were built to much better alignments than in mainland Europe).

I don't accept that this would be too disruptive; it was how BR (British Rail(ways)) created the IC network in the 1960's and 70's.

I would like TGV's out of Paddington, as well.

OTC

(and  for today only, Capt Link Hogthrob)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:23:45 by onthecushions » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 18, 2013, 22:35:22 »

I think that the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) issue has been muddled, as usual by sectional interest lobbying from the industries that want the contracts and UK (United Kingdom) Regions that want infrastructure without the bill.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) there are two issues; the desirability of TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse)'s operating on the InterCity (dates me!) network and the need for more capacity particularly on the WCML (West Coast Main Line).

The capacity issue is I contend because of the amount of freight routed this way, especially South of Rugby, not because of IC (Inter City) (VWC) & LM (London Midland - recent franchise) traffic.

The capacity issue could be addressed by reopening the 34 miles of the GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) line between Calvert and Rugby, in many ways much the same route as HS2 but for freight mainly. While there will always be more congestion nearer London, there do seem to be a lot of disused loops etc closer in.

Yes you could do that but you still have to get it North of Rugby and South of Aylesbury.

The route from Rugby to Birmingham is heavily congested. I am not sure how much capacity there is on the Trent Valley route either. 

As for capacity south of Aylesbury...

The TGV issue depends on how far and at what cost the UK rail system can be made suitable.

The TGV issue could be addressed by easing the curves on the main lines including some new stretches and improving clearances. Not every km of track needs to be cleared for 250mph. About 25% of UK main line route needs such  attention (our lines  were built to much better alignments than in mainland Europe).

I don't accept that this would be too disruptive; it was how BR (British Rail(ways)) created the IC network in the 1960's and 70's.

They did indeed do improvements.  To do that they had the advantage of a much less busy system.  I am sure the users of FGW (First Great Western) Coffepot would understand the need to close Wooton Basset to Filton for an 18 month (?) blockade to sort the problems out like they did in the mid 70's. 

You could also do that to sections of the WCML to do widening.  What was that about a 365/24 railway?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 18, 2013, 23:15:01 »

I swing both ways on this one. I see the logic of a new high-speed link from north to south, even though I am unlikely to ever take the journey. Certainly, I see the benefit of increased capacity on an overcrowded network. But I see the undoubted value of the beauty of the British countryside, something I value as much if not more so than the railway network.

I have argued against the current cost / benefit system of planning transport projects. Usually, with road it under-estimates costs and over-estimates benefits, whereas with rail it works the other way. I am not qualified to suggest whether HST (High Speed Train) is a good thing on that basis or not, but I strongly suspect that the truth is that it is close, maybe too close to call. In that case, I would go for it, because it would show commitment to the railways, it would provide construction jobs, and on past experience, it would solve more problems than the proponents suggest, and cause fewer problems than the opponents put forward.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 18, 2013, 23:41:56 »

I swing both ways on this one. I see the logic of a new high-speed link from north to south, even though I am unlikely to ever take the journey. Certainly, I see the benefit of increased capacity on an overcrowded network. But I see the undoubted value of the beauty of the British countryside, something I value as much if not more so than the railway network.

I would rather see a 2 track railway going through the landscape than a 6 lane motorway!  Many of our railways blend in beautifully into the landscape.  How does HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) look ten years or so after it was built? I do not hear about any complaints of the noise from it either.

You could provide the capacity on the current alignments, but you would have to tear great swathes through most of the towns on the route.  I think you might find that is less popular than than going through the countryside. 

What all our economic models seem to miss is that high house prices in the South and South East are crippling this country. If we did not have to pay so much for housing then wages would be less and living standards higher. As a result the country would be more competitive.  Either we find some way of moving our economy North and West and take the heat out of the London bubble, or the UK (United Kingdom) (as opposed to London) will never be economically strong.  It is no coincidence that most of the opposition is coming from the South East.

Trying to fossilise some past idyll gives everyone a warm feeling (me included), but my children do not want to live in a museum, they want jobs and affordable housing.

Oh and the cost? How does it compare to the amount on money we put in the bail out the banks?
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:58 »

...apparently.
Indeed I have - apologies for editing it out when I found a better quote; bad form.

Ha ha, charade you are... Grin

Only kidding - Indeed, it is very interesting that, in her Guardian article, Melissa Kite accuses David Cameron of manipulating the rest of society over HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) in much the same way as Roger Waters accused the animal substitutes of manipulating the rest of society in the song whose lyrics you originally quoted.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:33 »

Scanning down the 'Rail News' aggregator, I'm staggered at how news organs of every stripe have reported on Dr Richard Beeching Welling's report on the costs of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

Some of the lazier one haven't even given Beechings the credit for making the figure up - they've just used it as though it were an accepted fact - and few of them seem to have found it necessary to point out that the IEA is so far to the right as to be in danger of meeting the communists coming the other way.

I remain slightly ambivalent about this project, but I do think HS2 Ltd need to up their media game if they actually want it to happen.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:12 »

Scanning down the 'Rail News' aggregator, I'm staggered at how news organs of every stripe have reported on Dr Richard Beeching Welling's report on the costs of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

Some of the lazier one haven't even given Beechings the credit for making the figure up - they've just used it as though it were an accepted fact - and few of them seem to have found it necessary to point out that the IEA is so far to the right as to be in danger of meeting the communists coming the other way.

I remain slightly ambivalent about this project, but I do think HS2 Ltd need to up their media game if they actually want it to happen.
My reaction was similar - that's such an obvious ploy, why did so many news media fall for it? Granted it was  Sunday in August so there was never going to be a lot of other domestic news, but they were still very naive. No doubt you could also re-define the category of "costs" on their favourite projects to similar effect.

To pick up on another strand in this thread (or possible just a fibre in a strand) I thought much the same about the reporting of the recent survey showing a rise in house prices. The common view that this price rise is a good thing baffles me - do they really all believe that "what the country needs now is more expensive houses" or "our houses are too cheap"?

While I don't think that they were letting themselves be manipulated, there was a general reliance on "experts" who have a vested interest in driving more sales by more mortgage finance which - in the absence of more houses - gives them higher prices and hence fees too. I was struck by one who argued strongly in favour of more "affordable housing" - i.e. please will the government look after poor people outside the mainstream market, so supply in our market never catches up with demand.

Of course that is largely a London-centric view, but I doubt that prices are really sensibly low except is areas with serious economic problems. However, I have to say that I am not convinced that poor physical communications are the main reason for the jobs being concentrated in the South-East.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:50 »

The IEA report, entitled "The High-Speed Gravy Train: Special Interests, Transport Policy and Government Spending", has been published and can be found here.

The last paragraph in particular of the IEA blurb is rather Beeching-esque, I have to say:

Quote from: IEA
In addition to the direct costs, there will be even larger opportunity costs from the misallocation of transport investment. Institutional reform is needed to reduce the malign influence of rent-seeking special interests on transport policy. New infrastructure could then be provided on a more economically rational basis.

Here is a Railnews article on the report launch. It also contains the beginnings of a Pro-HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) response, largely along the lines of the IEA presenting a partisan view in line with its general policy of opposing major publicly-funded projects in favour of allowing the market to decide.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2013, 17:53:10 »

More Pro-HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) articles, examples here,here and here, with a general conclusion that the IEA have based their conclusions on back-of-the-fag-packet calculations.

Also some recognition of RS's point that pro-HS2 campaigners need to up their media game if they want to succeed.

There is even a poll for you to vote in, should you so choose...

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2013, 20:31:54 »

I would rather see a 2 track railway going through the landscape than a 6 lane motorway!  Many of our railways blend in beautifully into the landscape.  How does HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) look ten years or so after it was built? I do not hear about any complaints of the noise from it either.

You could provide the capacity on the current alignments, but you would have to tear great swathes through most of the towns on the route.  I think you might find that is less popular than than going through the countryside. 

What all our economic models seem to miss is that high house prices in the South and South East are crippling this country. If we did not have to pay so much for housing then wages would be less and living standards higher. As a result the country would be more competitive.  Either we find some way of moving our economy North and West and take the heat out of the London bubble, or the UK (United Kingdom) (as opposed to London) will never be economically strong.  It is no coincidence that most of the opposition is coming from the South East.

Trying to fossilise some past idyll gives everyone a warm feeling (me included), but my children do not want to live in a museum, they want jobs and affordable housing.

Oh and the cost? How does it compare to the amount on money we put in the bail out the banks?

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) needs a core path of 25m width for 2 track (60m for 4 track), with another 25m each side affected. This compares with a 3 lane motorway width including verges of 35.6m.

A classic two track railway could fit in an 8.5m strip.

Perhaps the towns to have great swathes cut through them could have the tunnels planned for  Buckinghamshire farmland and villages.

As an exiled Northerner, I recall that transport  links can cut two ways, often draining the life out of the Regions.

Liverpool used to have its own Stock Exchange and Insurance Industry.

I'm not against HS2, just think we should concentrate upon outcome not process, the service to be delivered, not the "way and works".

Regards,

OTC
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2013, 22:30:15 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) needs a core path of 25m width for 2 track (60m for 4 track), with another 25m each side affected. This compares with a 3 lane motorway width including verges of 35.6m.

A classic two track railway could fit in an 8.5m strip.

When I look at a railway or a motorway in the landscape, it is the ballast area or the surfaced area that impacts most.  On a motorway that is 30 metres wide. 

I do not recall it being 25 metres wide on HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel). Is it to be fundamentally different on HS2?

The verges of both blend in in time.   

The 25 metres on either side that will be affected - what will it be affected by? Will this be green landscaping?

We need to differentiate between what will be affected for a short time during construction and what will ultimately be the visual impact.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2013, 22:45:22 »

As another exiled Northener, I agree with OTC's point about the two-way flow. But why the big need for speed? Patrick McLoughlin was recently interviewed by The Times. In that, he said:
^One of the things I regret is that it^s been called ^High Speed 2^ it^s not primarily about speed. It^s about capacity and how do we carry on with the growth we are seeing on the railways. If you are going to create more capacity, you may as well build the best and go for a high-speed version as opposed to a traditional rail.^

It seems that the reason for a high-speed line is not the need for a high-speed line, but the need for a line, which might as well be built to high-speed specification. On that basis, the West of England Partnership's rubbish Metrobust scheme might as well be a rapid tram system.

I agree that Something Must Be Done. Railways are very much in the ascendancy again, and money spent now will be money well spent for the future. I would hope that this will not soak up all the available cash to the detriment of smaller projects like Portishead, Greater Bristol Metro, and one dear to my heart, Four Track Now! at Filton Bank.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: