Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:18:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 397462 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 26, 2014, 21:43:24 »

Of course the maintenance of the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains is already set to be at the ex-Eurostar depot at North Pole not far from Old Oak Common. I believe some work has already started to prepare the depot for IEP.
Some work!!!! for the last 9 months Hitachi's contractors Volkafitzpatrick have been knocking place about, its now in an advanced state

On the point of moving maintenance to the West, the principle HST (High Speed Train) depot is in the West at Laira.  OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and North Pole (IEP) are where they are for a good reasons ............... operationally needed otherwise the railways would have already located the depots elsewhere

The Design Council on why they think the 1960s Euston station should be kept, and on their view that its loss would be as big as that of the original Victorian building it replaced - https://www.designcouncil.org.uk/news-opinion/defence-euston-station
I agree we should not loose this 1960's eyesore, future generations will have nothing to learn from our lessons of how to get things wrong  Grin

Actually it is an iconic building, displaying the optimism of the 1960's the need for a "modern Britain" to move out of austere post war decade of the 1950's it is light and airy even today the concourse still has a light and airy feel, they just need to get rid of all the detritus (retail units) to improve it.  I agree the platforms are poor ............. well actually rubbish

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2014, 21:54:23 »

Of course the maintenance of the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains is already set to be at the ex-Eurostar depot at North Pole not far from Old Oak Common. I believe some work has already started to prepare the depot for IEP.
Some work!!!! for the last 9 months Hitachi's contractors Volkafitzpatrick have been knocking place about, its now in an advanced state

On the point of moving maintenance to the West, the principle HST (High Speed Train) depot is in the West at Laira.  OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and North Pole (IEP) are where they are for a good reasons ............... operationally needed otherwise the railways would have already located the depots elsewhere

I didn't realise how far advanced it was. No chance of them abandoning the work if it is so far complete then.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 26, 2014, 21:55:16 »

What percentage of trains from Paddington end up at Penzance?

So there rest would just have to be very long empty stock workings. A waste of time, manpower and energy and making a less robust service regardless of Dawlish. Moving Old Oak Common depot to Long Rock is at best ill-conceived!
5 HST (High Speed Train) sets stable at Long Rock depot each night. A very small percentage of the overall fleet of up to 54 HST sets.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 26, 2014, 22:06:51 »

I didn't realise how far advanced it was. No chance of them abandoning the work if it is so far complete then.
No, I think the depot connection goes in some time soon at the Ladbroke Grove end facing in the UP direction.  I think there is still a connection onto the West London Line but all of the third rail has been removed.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 26, 2014, 22:36:55 »

What percentage of trains from Paddington end up at Penzance?

So there rest would just have to be very long empty stock workings. A waste of time, manpower and energy and making a less robust service regardless of Dawlish. Moving Old Oak Common depot to Long Rock is at best ill-conceived!
5 HST (High Speed Train) sets stable at Long Rock depot each night. A very small percentage of the overall fleet of up to 54 HST sets.

Not saying a maintenance depot at Long Rock is a good idea, but how many HST sets will be left after the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) arrive though?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2014, 00:09:51 »

Unlikely to be a huge number more than that I'd guess. But then for major work there is already a much more suitable depot in the shape of Laira.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #561 on: April 02, 2014, 19:23:17 »

New cross-London plan for HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) and HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) with direct HS1 trains to Oxford and Heathrow?

Link: http://www.oxfordprospect.co.uk/New-cross-London-plan-for-HS1-and-HS2.html
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #562 on: April 02, 2014, 19:47:38 »

And on to Hastings ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26832350

... in an article timed at 10:45 yesterday morning - 1st April.   I wonder ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 02, 2014, 20:11:56 »

And on to Hastings ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26832350

... in an article timed at 10:45 yesterday morning - 1st April.   I wonder ...
Not as daft as it sounds, the 1950's plan to electrify the Ashford / Hastings routes that last saw the light of day in the 1980's has had the dust knock off it again.  They are looking to run the 395's on the route the aim to speed up the service from Bexhill to London.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #564 on: April 02, 2014, 20:28:03 »

Not as daft as it sounds ...

Oh I agree ... it's the last diesel passenger service for many miles at the moment ...

The clever thing about Chris-from-Nailsea's Portishead post yesterday was that it was close enough to being real as to have people double-thinking.   And I rather suspect that electrification to Hastings ... and to Portishead, come to think of if, isn't way out.   But I do think one of yesterday's posts wasn't serious and the other probably was, even if it's at GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) minus 2 at the moment (something that's said in the lead up to an election)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #565 on: April 02, 2014, 20:47:13 »

The clever thing about Chris-from-Nailsea's Portishead post yesterday was that it was close enough to being real as to have people double-thinking.

Oh, I say: thanks, but it was just an attempt at an April Fool ...  Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:50 »

New cross-London plan for HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) and HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) with direct HS1 trains to Oxford and Heathrow?

Link: http://www.oxfordprospect.co.uk/New-cross-London-plan-for-HS1-and-HS2.html
Actually a similar idea to one of mine, if only there was a decent HS1-HS2 link. Build a spur off HS2 from Old Oak to Heathrow and extend the Javelins to Heathrow to free up Heathrow Express paths on the GWML (Great Western Main Line). The Euston Cross proposal was sadly ruled out though, so this sadly probablly is going nowhere. The Old Oak - Heathrow link could also be extended at a (much) later date to create a new HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) line towards Bristol/Taunton/South Wales

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2014, 13:59:32 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

New HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) compensation announced

Compensation of up to ^100,000 will be available - even if residents decide not to move

Details have emerged of compensation packages for homeowners and businesses near the HS2 high-speed rail link - even if they do not want to move.

Under the proposals the state would buy properties within 60 metres of the line at the full market value. Those up to 120 metres away, who do not want to move, would be eligible for a payment of 10% of the home's value.

The changes to compensation packages are still to be consulted on but are expected to come in from 2015.

HS2 Action Alliance, which opposes the project, said it believed around 500,00 homes would eligible for compensation.

Ministers are also considering relaxing the rules on buying up homes of those living more than 300m from the London to Birmingham route.

Homeowners and small businesses must currently prove they would suffer from "exceptional hardship" from the building of the line. It is proposed this should be replaced by a "compelling reason" to sell.

For homes and small businesses up to 60 metres of the line the state would buy up properties at the full unblighted market value, plus 10% (up to ^47,000).

For those within 60 and 120 metres of the line who do not wish to sell the government would pay out cash compensation of 10% of the market value, up to a maximum of ^100,000.

Those within 120 and 300 metres would be offered between ^22,500 to ^7,500 on a sliding scale, based on distance from the line. The payments are proposed to be tax free.

No limits have been set on how far away from HS2 applicable properties will have to be. Senior HS2 officials say this is because the local environment can vary widely.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said there would be a consultation on the plans. He said: "I completely understand the concerns and anxieties of those living near the line and it is only right that those people are properly looked after. I believe this package of compensation and assistance will enable us to help people more. But I want to get it absolutely right, so I am asking for further views on some aspects before we finalise plans."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 29, 2014, 09:48:44 »

Here, for the record, is one of many reports of yesterday's parliamentary vote.
From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

MPs (Member of Parliament) reject calls for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) rail plans to be halted

The HS2 link between London, the Midlands and the north of England is expected to cost ^42.6bn

MPs have rejected calls for the proposed HS2 rail link between London and the West Midlands to be scrapped, despite a Tory rebellion.

MPs threw out a proposal by ex-minister Cheryl Gillan for the plan to be halted by 451 votes to 50, a majority of 401.

Transport Minister Robert Goodwill said it was an "important step" in taking the controversial project forward.

A total of 34 Tories voted against the government, while a total of 46 Tories missed the vote or abstained.

Thirty-two Conservatives backed Mrs Gillan's amendment, while one - James Gray - acted as a teller for the rebels.

After rejecting Ms Gillan's amendment, MPs approved the general principles of the bill in a second vote by 452 to 41 votes, a majority of 411.

Twenty-four of the rebel Tories voted against the government again this time, as did two other Tories, John Redwood and Sir Richard Shepherd.

Last June, 21 Conservative backbenchers opposed the government in a Commons vote laying the groundwork for HS2 and the size of the rebellion was expected to be larger on Monday.

The High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill 2013-14, which would authorise the first phase of the multi-billion project, cleared its first parliamentary hurdle when it was given a second reading by MPs.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2014, 18:06:10 »

This is now gaining an unstoppable momentum. Only 34 Tories, and 14 others, voted against the amendment, these mainly being from constituencies where the adverse effects will be most visible and audible. It is little surprise they are offering empathy, with an election next year. The attempt at stopping the bill was doomed to failure from the off, as both Labour and Lib Dem policy is for support.

Plans are one thing, heavy plant in the petunias another. The compensation plans are formed, the need for capacity has been demonstrated, and now the newspaper editors are lining up behind HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), or at least The Times is.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: