Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:11:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 393853 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 22, 2019, 21:11:52 »

Most of the article is hidden behind a paywall.  Does it go on to say which group or individual submitted the paper to the enquiry?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 22, 2019, 21:16:54 »

There is also something of a suspicion of campaigns that require expensive extra costs on a scheme to mitigate what they claim are unacceptable impacts then try an kill the scheme off because of the extra cost of such works. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:14 »

Most of the article is hidden behind a paywall.  Does it go on to say which group or individual submitted the paper to the enquiry?

The analysis and figure of £106.4 billion comes from Michael Byng, an infrastructure consultant who (ironically) devised the method used by Network Rail to cost its projects.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 23, 2019, 07:09:15 »

The general topic of "Mega Projects" is covered in an article in E and T: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/09/big-project-big-delay/.

I assume that the Oxford Global Projects Database is not publicly available.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 23, 2019, 08:24:34 »

The analysis and figure of £106.4 billion comes from Michael Byng, an infrastructure consultant who (ironically) devised the method used by Network Rail to cost its projects.

I thought it might be him. He's basically a quantity surveyor, with a business supplying advice and (computer) systems for cost estimating. So while he may be a well-informed inside observer, he's not a domain expert on any of the engineering (nor I imagine land acquisition).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:58 »

The general topic of "Mega Projects" is covered in an article in E and T: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/09/big-project-big-delay/.

A very interesting article, and well worth a read.  Also refreshing to see the evidence that the rail industry is no worse than any other for cost and time overruns, even if that doesn’t bode well for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and future projects.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:23 »

A very interesting article, and well worth a read.  Also refreshing to see the evidence that the rail industry is no worse than any other for cost and time overruns, even if that doesn’t bode well for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and future projects.

It is very interesting indeed. I have another explanation that isn't too different.

Railway Man (RM): "We need a new railway, because the current one is based on the capacity we thought we would need when we last looked at it in 1963."
Secretary of State for Transport (SoS): "Blimey, have things changed since then? I hadn't noticed."
RM: "I have mentioned it before, but you keep getting changed, sometimes a different man, sometimes a different party."
SoS: "True, now you mention it. As it's so urgent, I shall act swiftly and decisively, and immediately commission a report to give recommendations just after the next election. "
RM: "That's been done three times. They all said we need a new railway."
SoS: "It sounds expensive. Find a cheaper way of accomplishing the same result."
RM: "We've done that twice. We still need a new railway."
SoS: "Bugger, I suppose we do. I'll have a word with the Prime Minister and Chancellor."
SoS: "Right, I've spoken to them. They think that a new railway could open up huge swathes of the north of England to new industry, and most importantly, win them votes. They are in favour, so how much will it cost?"
RM: "Double what it would have cost if we had built it when I first mentioned it, but half what it will cost if you dither for a few more years."
SoS: "That's still a lot of money. Make it a cheaper slower railway llike they have in Spain."
RM: "Spain has some brilliant new high speed trains that make ours look rubbish."
SoS: "WHAT??? We can't have that! Make ours better, faster, prettier, more frequent, better buffet serving the best of British food! Do it NOW!"
RM: "Got it. So you want a trolley selling warm beer, cold tea, and curry."
SoS: "That's it! But the Daily Mail won't like the cost estimate. Lower it."
RM: "How?"
SoS: "Use smaller numbers. We're not paying for it all in one lump sum, so it won't matter. We can blame Labour if we lose the next election, and the Liberal Democrats if we win. Make it, oh, I don't know - how old are you?"
RM: "54."
SoS: "Good. Make it £54 million - sorry £54 billion - and draw up some clever sums that arrive at that figure. This is an essential infrastructure project that will make Britain look ever so good!"
(Later, after the next election)
RM: "We need a new railway. Still."
SoS: "The new Prime Minister and Chancellor are right behind it, as it doesn't go through their constituencies. This is an essential infrastructure project that will make Britain look ever so good. Carry on!"
RM: "That fake price tag looks a bit dodgy. Shall I give the press thetrue figure?"
SoS: "Good god, man, have you taken leave of your senses? Of course not! Add a bit on maybe."
(Later, after another election)
RM: "We need a new railway."
SoS: "The Prime Minister is still behind it, as it doesn't go through her constituency, and might win more votes for her than it loses. Carry on. This is an essential infrastructure project that will make Britain look ever so good!"
(Later, after a leadership election)
RM: "We need a new railway. We've started building, and spent £7 billion so far."
SoS: "How much will this railway cost altogether?"
RM: "My age, my wife's age, plus the age of the cat. But this is an essential infrastructure project that will make Britain look ever so good!"
SoS: "No it isn't, it's a white elephant, a vanity project that could lose our new clown Prime Minister some votes. Besides, he needs the money to hide the cost of his new policies. Better add your neighbour's age to that figure to make it look bad."

And so on...

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 23, 2019, 13:14:36 »

By the looks of it m not the only one who would like to see the return of Yes Minister 😁
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #803 on: September 23, 2019, 16:47:44 »

For a newspaper to make such a claim these days seems only to require so anti campaigner who claims to be an 'expert' to make a claim.  I know that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) have been concealing some estimated overspend, but forgive me if I am naturally skeptical of such leaked claims via such a newspaper. 

And especially so given that newspaper's previous stance on the matter.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 23, 2019, 18:26:40 »

Well, the messenger is riddled with bullets, but strangely enough the message seems unscathed!  Wink

I do wonder if there is any sum of money at which the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) fan club would eventually admit that it's too much.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 23, 2019, 18:45:12 »

Ok but,

1) we do not know how detailed a method he used (there are many different methods of costing using different levels of detail). I have costed infrastructure schemes in the past (not rail) and there different approaches from broad brush £x million per km to detailed cost build ups of each and every element of the scheme. We don't know what type of estimate this is. I assume this is an unofficial estimate so did he have access to all the current information on the project to enable him to make a reliable estimate? I suspect he did not so it will tend to be towards the broad brush end of the scale.

2) NR» (Network Rail - home page) cost database will be for maintenance and replacement work on existing rail not new work off the route of the current railway so is the NR cost database relevant?

3) If he developed the NR cost model does he have access to use it. I would not expect to be able to use something I developed for one client using their data for anyone else without breaching the confidentiality terms of my contract. 

I am not questioning that there is going to be an overspend on the current agreed budget if the project goes ahead> What I am questioning is the validity of this and other unofficial estimates. 

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 23, 2019, 18:56:06 »

I do wonder if there is any sum of money at which the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) fan club would eventually admit that it's too much.

It's a valid question.

Isn't the £106.4Bn budget for the full, 530km project? So that would work out at around £200M/km. Crossrail, at £17.6Bn for 22km, works out at £800M/km. Now I know I may not quite be comparing Granny Smiths with Cox's Orange Pippins, but by that benchmark HS2 might still be a bit of a bargain.

Both projects are pretty expensive compared with the Borders Railway (which cost just over £5M/km), though of course that was largely single track and diesel-powered.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #807 on: September 23, 2019, 19:00:40 »

[HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))] ...  So that would work out at around £200M/km.

Crossrail, at £17.6Bn for 22km, works out at £800M/km.

Both projects are pretty expensive compared with the Borders Railway (which cost just over £5M/km), though of course that was largely single track and diesel-powered.

So how much would the Borders Railway have cost per mile with knitting at the same time it was re-instated?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 23, 2019, 19:12:25 »

[HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))] ...  So that would work out at around £200M/km.

Crossrail, at £17.6Bn for 22km, works out at £800M/km.

So how much would the Borders Railway have cost per mile with knitting at the same time it was re-instated?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) borders railway did not include long lengths of new tunnel or work in dense urban areas and land values for any land purchases were probably a tad less that extending Euston Station. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 23, 2019, 20:37:57 »

A good question put in a slightly patronising way.

A figure of over £100bn would, for me, be too high.  But how do we know that figure is correct?  I'll be interested to see the results of the review when all submissions have been taken into account.  If it's cancelled, I will be very interested to see how the alternative plan to tackle future rail growth takes shape - how much that will end up costing, as well as the level of benefits it would provide compared to HS2 and the comparative levels of disruption there will be whilst it is undertaken. 

I will also be interested to see where all the spare money 'saved' gets spent.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: