Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:57:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 393798 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 04, 2020, 15:28:12 »

Presumably he isn't employed by the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), well probably not directly?

I think he may well be. The previous move to everybody being self-employed through service companies was rather frowned upon. In any case, writing "Personal capacity" after every utterance wouldn't stop the BBC not sending any more work, should they think he was bringing the game into disrepute.

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), if I remember correctly, will be electrically-propelled.

That's my reading of the situation too. Whether the investment in concrete for an all-slab track railway makes it highly polluting and that is his beef, I don't know. The production of cement is, after all, responsible for three times the emissions of aviation worldwide. Then there's the matter of the trees being felled to make way, but trees are springing up all around us and HS2 are planting them by the dozen. If you want to go down that route, then the mess made in extracting neodymium and other rare earth metals for the wind turbines that will provide the motive power should be knocked off. There is a school of thought (not mine) that sees cycling as polluting because of the energy used in manufacture.. It is all a matter of degree, and I am sure that someone somewhere would be able to prove that a coal-fired jet plane is an actual benefit to the planet.

Statistics....

OTC

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics, as neither Mark Twain nor Benjamin Disraeli ever said.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:00:07 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #916 on: March 04, 2020, 15:54:50 »

I am sure that someone somewhere would be able to prove that a coal-fired jet plane is an actual benefit to the planet.

I wouldn't want to fire it...

Wink
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 04, 2020, 16:36:07 »

...That's before we start discussing whether an all-electric railway emits more carbon dioxide than a couple of motorways full of cars and a few airliners...

On Monday, at the TravelWatch South-West meeting, Thomas Ableman of SNAP (an on-demand coach operator) presented a case that motor-coaches are the most carbon-efficient form of transport per passenger-kilometre. If I can, I'll put up the slide he showed us when it's published on the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) website, but (as I remember it) it showed that diesel coaches emit 45 carbons per passenger kilometre whilst trains emit 65. Which is more. Cars and aeroplanes emit hundreds and hundreds, of course, but we all agree that we need fewer of those (don't we?)

He did admit that electric trains emit less than 45 (it would have been nice to see the figures, but that wouldn't have served his argument), but he claimed that that was neither here nor there because so many trains have dirty old diesel engines.

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), if I remember correctly, will be electrically-propelled.

and off course, coach tyres release the micro particulates that have given rise to so much concern whereas railway tyres do not.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 04, 2020, 17:38:50 »

and off course, coach tyres release the micro particulates that have given rise to so much concern whereas railway tyres do not.

...and brake dust.

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #919 on: March 07, 2020, 12:42:17 »

That's before we start discussing whether an all-electric railway emits more carbon dioxide than a couple of motorways full of cars and a few airliners.
I recall reading years ago, but forget the source, that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) was carbon-neutral at best. For an all-electric railway not to acheive a carbon reduction suggests to me that somebody has made a very poor decision somewhere along the line while developing the scheme design. I have always suspected that this was due to the sharp increase in energy consumption by pushing speeds up to (if I recall correctly) 400kph, but could be wrong. The fact that most of the modal shift is/was expected to be from the existing 125mph electric west coast main line probably also has something to do with it; modal shift from road doesn't require 400kph and perhaps there isn't enough modal shift from air travel to justify 400kph. I've therefore for some time been of the opinion that HS2 should be a 325kph / 200mph railway, which should also allow the impact on ancient woodlands etc. to be reduced through slightly tighter curves.

Whether the investment in concrete for an all-slab track railway makes it highly polluting and that is his beef, I don't know.
Wait; they're planning to build HS2 as essentially a concrete road with rails set into it like a tram line in a city (is that what 'slab track' is?)? If true, that sounds like it could very well be the "very poor decision" I mentioned above. What changes would be required to allow them to use ballasted track instead and would this significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions versus slab-track?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 07, 2020, 14:42:26 »

The fact that most of the modal shift is/was expected to be from the existing 125mph electric west coast main line probably also has something to do with it;

Yes it will take some of the traffic from the WCML (West Coast Main Line), the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), but that is to release capacity on those lines for other traffic.

However that is not model shift the extra capacity of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) will allow a modal shift.  If there are no space seats then no one is going to change modes.

modal shift from road doesn't require 400kph and perhaps there isn't enough modal shift from air travel to justify 400kph. I've therefore for some time been of the opinion that HS2 should be a 325kph / 200mph railway, which should also allow the impact on ancient woodlands etc. to be reduced through slightly tighter curves.

Some increase in speed is required to reflect that rail journeys are not always door to door and may involve changes.  Higher speeds give more scope.

High speeds are indeed necessary for modal shift from air to rail. 

Wait; they're planning to build HS2 as essentially a concrete road with rails set into it like a tram line in a city (is that what 'slab track' is?)? If true, that sounds like it could very well be the "very poor decision" I mentioned above. What changes would be required to allow them to use ballasted track instead and would this significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions versus slab-track?

Slab track is not like tramlines in that the rails are not set into the concrete, but sit on top. Think of it like one continuous concrete sleeper. 

Slab track give a more stable alignment and therefore lower maintenance.  Some of this may have been driven by the procurement model rather than need. I suspect this change will be looked at - at least in later stages. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 08, 2020, 17:54:36 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) chief gets 46k bonus for "budget control"

You genuinely couldn't make it up! 🤦‍♂️

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/07/hs2-boss-defends-46k-bonus-linked-control-projects-budget/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: March 08, 2020, 21:35:10 »

The fact that most of the modal shift is/was expected to be from the existing 125mph electric west coast main line probably also has something to do with it;

Yes it will take some of the traffic from the WCML (West Coast Main Line), the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about), but that is to release capacity on those lines for other traffic.

However that is not model shift the extra capacity of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) will allow a modal shift.  If there are no space seats then no one is going to change modes.

modal shift from road doesn't require 400kph and perhaps there isn't enough modal shift from air travel to justify 400kph. I've therefore for some time been of the opinion that HS2 should be a 325kph / 200mph railway, which should also allow the impact on ancient woodlands etc. to be reduced through slightly tighter curves.

Some increase in speed is required to reflect that rail journeys are not always door to door and may involve changes.  Higher speeds give more scope.

High speeds are indeed necessary for modal shift from air to rail. 

Slab track is not like tramlines in that the rails are not set into the concrete, but sit on top. Think of it like one continuous concrete sleeper. 

Slab track give a more stable alignment and therefore lower maintenance.  Some of this may have been driven by the procurement model rather than need. I suspect this change will be looked at - at least in later stages. 
Thanks for those answers; I understand the need for capacity to make space on the trains for modal shift, but it doesn't look good on the carbon balance sheet if 125mph capacity would have done the job. I take the point about connections but again 125mph is a fair bit quicker than the 70mph maximum permitted for road journeys. HS2 needs to be targeting more modal shift from air, which is one of the reasons I think the phase 2b leg from Birmingham to Leeds needs to be able to accomodate through services from Bristol and Plymouth, assuming it goes ahead at all. Slab track does sound like it would involve rather alot of concrete; how does the carbon footprint of that compare to ballasted track I wonder.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 08, 2020, 22:08:12 »

I understand the need for capacity to make space on the trains for modal shift, but it doesn't look good on the carbon balance sheet if 125mph capacity would have done the job....  HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) needs to be targeting more modal shift from air,
Do you think there would have been modal shift between London and Paris if the Eurostar was limited to 125mph? The same is true for Glasgow/Edinburgh, where 125mph is already the limit.

But I think the limit could be reduced slightly with little impact on the competitiveness of HS2, and maybe reduction in the build cost. However, the alignment for Phase 1 is set in stone through the Act of Parliament, so that is a given at this stage.   
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 08, 2020, 22:29:02 »

However, the alignment for Phase 1 is set in stone through the Act of Parliament, so that is a given at this stage.   

No it's not - it's concrete!  Grin

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 09, 2020, 12:50:24 »

Here's an argument that the BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) has been fiddled in order to meet government targets, but in fact it's not a particularly relevant metric to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).
Apart from such malleability in analysis, there are two big problems with the standard approach to the economic appraisal of proposed transport investments. First, the time-saving benefits arise from trips between cities and say nothing about economic development within cities.
The second problem is that average travel time, as measured in the National Travel Survey, has hardly changed over the past 45 years. This is despite many billions of pounds of public investments in the transport system justified by the value of journey time savings. What actually happens is that these investments into quicker travel allow us to travel further and to gain access to more distant destinations, opportunities and choices.
https://theconversation.com/hs2-true-value-to-cities-in-the-north-of-england-has-not-been-made-clear-130918

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #926 on: March 14, 2020, 11:32:12 »

I understand the need for capacity to make space on the trains for modal shift, but it doesn't look good on the carbon balance sheet if 125mph capacity would have done the job....  HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) needs to be targeting more modal shift from air,
Do you think there would have been modal shift between London and Paris if the Eurostar was limited to 125mph? The same is true for Glasgow/Edinburgh, where 125mph is already the limit.
Yes, of course you need high speed where you are competing with air travel (even then, the original Eurostars are only 300kph and the new ones 320kph). 200mph would only be a tiny bit faster than Eurostar's e320 trains so the captive sets for phase 2 could basically be off-the-shelf designs. But my main point is that a large proportion of HS2's services (over half I think) are planned to be relatively short distance services that don't compete with air travel (eg. London-Birmingham, Birmingham-Manchester and Birmingham-Leeds shuttles). These will only be competing with road (and existing rail services), so don't really need to do more than 125-140mph but you cannot run them that slow or they'd get in the way of the high speed London-Manchester/Leeds/Scotland services.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 15, 2020, 14:31:37 »

Slab track does sound like it would involve rather alot of concrete; how does the carbon footprint of that compare to ballasted track I wonder.

That's an interesting question. The production of cement is very energy intensive, and  over the whole planet, the making of concrete produces three times the CO2 of the aviation industry. Whether than gives overall environmental benefits when compared to other materials, I dio not know, but I would guess that concrete slab will require a lot more energy to lay than would ballast. You can take away from that the concrete used in sleepers on normal track, the energy cost of extracting and sizing the ballast, and probably a fair bit more. Concrete slab will be the more environmentally sound option if it has a very long lifetime and very little maintenance, and I think that is the rationale. The lines will be complex to build, because settlement or heave will be much harder to correct after construction than in ballasted rail, but the lines will be much straighter than we are used to, which will cut energy costs in operation, and reduce wear and tear. At least I think so from what I have read, but I'm no armchair civil engineer.

Here's an argument that the BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) has been fiddled in order to meet government targets, but in fact it's not a particularly relevant metric to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

BCR was introduced to bring objectivity into major projects, but those days are long behind us. The common method now seems to be to write down on a piece of paper the BCR figure you want to achieve. Put this on a spreadsheet, then work backwards through all the elements that make it up, to make sure that they are adjusted to achieve the number that you wrote on the piece of paper.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:00:55 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 15, 2020, 21:02:26 »

Senior Civil Servant accused of withholding information about HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/14/senior-civil-servant-accused-withholding-information-hs2/
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2020, 10:05:21 »

Senior Civil Servant accused of withholding information about HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))

Better than having to blame a minister, I suppose. Although Chris Grayling is available - if the civil servant told him and he told her to keep schtum, things will get very interesting. This will be seized on by the Telegraph's loyal band of anti-HS2 campaigners as another reason to scrap it, but it is irrelevant now that the real "true" costs are known.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: