12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 15:42:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[344] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[65] "Mayflower"
[56] Death of another bus station?
[51] You see all sorts on the bus.
[36] Where have I been?
[32] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 398443 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: August 23, 2021, 18:40:34 »

You'd be surprised TG - There has actually been quite a substantial lobbying effort by "red wall" Conservative MPs (Member of Parliament) in the area who don't feel they will benefit from the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) eastern leg, led by Alexander Stafford, MP for the Rother Valley who is quoted in the very article you posted explaining why.

I had heard that Alexander Stafford was anti HS2, but I was not sure about other "red wall" Tories were pro or anti. The catchment of HS2 services goes further North by links to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) so Teeside and Sunderland are areas that could benefit. 
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: August 23, 2021, 19:00:04 »

You'd be surprised TG - There has actually been quite a substantial lobbying effort by "red wall" Conservative MPs (Member of Parliament) in the area who don't feel they will benefit from the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) eastern leg, led by Alexander Stafford, MP for the Rother Valley who is quoted in the very article you posted explaining why.

I had heard that Alexander Stafford was anti HS2, but I was not sure about other "red wall" Tories were pro or anti. The catchment of HS2 services goes further North by links to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) so Teeside and Sunderland are areas that could benefit. 

I touched on that aspect of it in my earlier post:

If you match up the constituency map to the HS2 map, then the political temptation for the Government to scrap the eastern leg becomes fairly obvious.

In terms of constituencies related to stations that the HS2 eastern leg would actually call at, the East Midlands Hub, which will have Nottingham and Derby as primary catchments, is in Broxtowe constituency which along with Derby North is Conservative-held. Aside from that, Derby South and all of the Nottingham, Chesterfield, Sheffield and Leeds seats are Labour-held. It is also the case that the eastern leg would go right through a number of Conservative seats, some of them gained at the last election, without stopping.

When you consider constituencies related to stations that the HS2 eastern leg services would then go on to call at using the classic network, only Darlington is Conservative-held, while York Central is an isolated pocket of red in a sea of blue, and the City of Durham and Newcastle seats are Labour-held as well.

By contrast, on the western side, Stafford, Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent, Macclesfield, Penrith, Carlisle and Lockerbie are all Conservative-held and will all be served by HS2 services, while Birmingham, Manchester and Warrington all saw seats turning blue at the last general election as well.

The Sunderland seats are all still Labour-held, and while I would agree there is some Teeside "red wall" scope for HS2 benefit, particularly off Darlington station which I marked as an exception, the catchments off Durham and Newcastle are still very red politically.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 24, 2021, 10:42:04 »

It is, again, a shame that politics has decided infrastructure spending, but not entirely unexpected. It will happen one day, but first a number of cheaper schemes will be put in place to mitigate the loss, which will not achieve anything like the same result, and will cost a lot more in the longer term. At least there won't be a MetroBust affair instead.

White elephant or lost opportunity depends on who you talk to, but Leeds and other places on the route have spent a lot of their own public's money getting ready for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 24, 2021, 14:41:39 »

Further delays and overspend suggested in Parliament;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58671051?at_custom2=twitter&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom4=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCPolitics
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 24, 2021, 14:48:53 »

An anonymous whistleblower leaking to a staunch opponent?

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 24, 2021, 16:06:51 »

Looks like you've got Jacob Rees-Mogg on your team anyway!!!  Cheesy
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 09, 2021, 10:09:17 »

The Mirror drew my attention to a graphic which indicates the impact HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and NPR will have on people's travel choices when* they are built in full. I can't embed it directly, so you'll have to follow the link to see it:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/incredible-graphic-shows-difference-hs2-25406945

*they will be built in full. Maybe not in my lifetime, but they will be.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 13, 2021, 08:05:16 »

Interesting article from Christian Wolmar in the environmental/decarbonising context on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s));

https://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2021/09/rail-940-does-hs2-fit-with-the-decarbonising-agenda/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feed%2Fchristianwolmar+%28Christian+Wolmar%29
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 15, 2021, 17:11:54 »

*they will be built in full. Maybe not in my lifetime, but they will be.

Or perhaps not...............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59292120?at_medium=RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy)&at_campaign=KARANGA
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 15, 2021, 17:44:06 »

I'm in reasonable health, Taplow Green.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 15, 2021, 19:23:54 »

HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) (aka the Channel Tunnel Rail Link) was scrapped once before it was built. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 15, 2021, 19:35:46 »

So HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel)½ it is. For now at least.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 17, 2021, 13:24:29 »

North newspapers urge PM not to scale back rail investment

Newspapers in the North of England have launched a campaign urging the government not to scale back promised rail investment.

Inspired by the poster for the 1996 film Trainspotting, Reach's dailies' front pages urged prime minister Boris Johnson to "Choose the North."

It comes amid reports Mr Johnson is planning to downgrade the eastern leg of the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) railway line.

The government said its Integrated Rail Plan would be published this week.

The Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) spokesman also added that it would not comment on speculation.

Full article
Source: BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

According to the Northern Agenda newsletter:

Conservative MP (Member of Parliament) Kevin Hollinrake, who represents Thirsk and Malton in North Yorkshire, told the i the trimmed back plans indicated the Government was “not willing to put our money where our mouth is”.

Northern Powerhouse Partnership Director Henri Murison said: “The suggestion that an upgrade of the current route across the Pennines is going to unlock the potential of the North as a productive and successful counterweight to London and the South East for the UK (United Kingdom) is misguided and, in economic terms, disastrous.

“Bypassing Bradford with its young and diverse population is the height of short-term Treasury thinking. Throwing money at 150-year-old tunnels towards Manchester because it will cost less, which will never have enough capacity as they and the wider route through Huddersfield is so constrained, is not Northern Powerhouse Rail.

"It is an upgrade, necessary and already underway, and itself hugely delayed in commencing. The PM has only a few days left to correct the course his government is on despite his previous promises and instincts.”

Back in 2017, a Conservative backbencher said:

In the area of transport, we are still selling the North’s potential short. The ‘Northern Powerhouse’ is a wonderful phrase, but the people of Northern England deserve more than a slogan. They need action.

That backbencher was Rishi Sunak.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 18, 2021, 07:55:45 »

The HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) latest...

Writing in the Yorkshire Post, Mr Johnson appears to confirm reports that a shorter high-speed route will be created from Birmingham to East Midlands Parkway, with the HS2 trains then running up as far as Sheffield on mainline tracks.

In his article Mr Johnson wrote: "HS2 will come to Sheffield, meaning a trip to or from London will take just one hour 27 minutes - precisely the same as under the old HS2 plans.

So, if the Leeds HS2 leg is to be scrapped, yet journey times to Sheffield will still meet original HS2 plans. It'll be interesting to see how HS2 stock will perform between East Midlands Parkway and Sheffield on existing tracks.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1154 on: November 18, 2021, 11:48:44 »

I have mirrored the newly published DfT» (Department for Transport - about) "Integrated Rail Plan for the North and Midlands at

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/mirror/integrated-rail-plan-for-the-north-and-midlands.pdf

I am unclear what it does for the South West, though Dominic Raab was quoted as saying it will be "good for all England" on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) this morning.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: