10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 392329 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 30, 2022, 20:05:35 »

Anything’s gonna be better than what’s there now.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 01, 2022, 06:59:34 »

Euston in its 1960's form is dysfunctional from a passenger experience point.  The current station has a large area at the Western end, the over deck, which was there for parcels / good and Royal Mail is effectively unused.  The main station concourse is too small and its connections to the Underground are poor.

I cannot help feeling that Old Oak Common will be a much busier station with regard to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) passengers than Euston, Old Oak will have connections to the Elizebeth Line meaning easier access to the West End, The City, Dockland Heathrow etc also Heathrow Express and GWR (Great Western Railway) services to Wales and the West will be stopping at Old Oak Common.  There is talk of stations on the West Lonon Line near Mitre Bridge this would give links to Clapham Jcn and even Gatwick also Watford / Rugby local services.

Euston HS2 station being cynical is about making revenue out of the redevelopment of the area in much the same way as St Pancras HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 09, 2022, 11:41:36 »

Crewe HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))  "super hub" in jeopardy?

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/hs2-fears-over-crewe-super-24434009?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 09, 2022, 16:17:50 »

Part of the general cheese paring, I fear. HS2 could yet end up somewhere closer to Bristol MetroBust than a world class state of the art high speed national railway, connecting communities across the realm.

Now, please!
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 09, 2022, 16:36:03 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) rail project should be scrapped, voters tell Conservative leadership candidates
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 09, 2022, 18:44:04 »

I wonder what the tory red wall constituencies think, after all HS2 will give most of those better connections to the South

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 09, 2022, 21:13:58 »

I wonder what the tory red wall constituencies think, after all HS2 will give most of those better connections to the South

Its probably too late to scrap London to Birmingham, so they build that and it has not benefit at all to the North!  What will the red wall then think?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 10, 2022, 18:08:30 »

The Birmingham stretch of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) makes some sense in that it gives extra capacity on the South end of the WCML (West Coast Main Line), together with LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) speeds to B'ham. For intermediate stations the benefit is indirect, though not really proportional to the cost. The prestige project HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) services are likely to be at premium fares, not of immediate interest to the masses.

What the "red wall" voters etc really wanted was better local services (i.e using that dirty word, electrification) on their local lines; in the Midlands, Leamington and Stratford round to Worcester and Telford, also along the already 125mph line to the East Midlands and again to Leicester including NUCKLE. Yorkies would like to see not just TP but also the two routes Sheffield - Leeds, the Calder Valley route, Harrogate etc etc. Even we in the West would like our local wirings completed.

I'm still a cautious supporter of HS2 to B'ham and perhaps relieving the curving Trent Valley route, with the good alignment to Crewe improved not replaced. For the rest, the presumption should be on improving existing alignments with bypasses and tunnels (as on HS2!).

The previous accepted figures were of 50% of the existing routes being suitable for high speed, 25% being upgradable and 25% needing a by-pass.The objection to this seemed to be that NR» (Network Rail - home page) couldn't work on existing lines economically (or operate them afterwards!).

I think that in practice the ECML (East Coast Main Line) will win the race to Scotland as it has done before.

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 10, 2022, 18:55:39 »

The prestige project HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) services are likely to be at premium fares, not of immediate interest to the masses.

I’d be interested to hear how you’ve come to that conclusion and the reasoning behind it?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 10, 2022, 20:34:32 »

Because every other premium product on the railway since market pricing was adopted has attracted "what the market can bear" fares and also govt will want either a return or more likely a minimised loss, on its "investment".

I'm always game for a SNR cheap off peak, split, or advance, though!

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 11, 2022, 01:17:45 »

Interesting. 

I have the opposite opinion in that the business market is now very repressed and unlikely to recover to any great degree, and leisure travellers will want competitive pricing or they'll go by air or slower train. 

Given the amount of seats to fill on the trains, either over 500 or over 1000 per train, depending on whether in 200m or 400m length, I can see some very reasonably priced fares.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 11, 2022, 06:31:25 »

The positives of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) apart from building rail infrastructure that will be around in 200 and more years.

It is employing a lot of people not only those involve in the actual construction but the supply chain many of those are British and the trains are likely to built here.
It is training a lot of Apprentices and Graduate Engineers.

We in the UK (United Kingdom), or at least our politicians are very short sighted they cannot think any further than the next election.  With the current melee to be the next PM tax cuts are the weapon of choice for most of the combatants which some will offer HS2 as a way to fund the cut in tax

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 11, 2022, 11:43:55 »

I would of course defer to the above posters whether for knowledge, experience or sound judgement.

In support of the "reasonable fares" theory is the volume hungry nature of the railway; it costs little more to run a train with 1000 seats than one with 100 seats yet the revenue is tenfold. If I were a commercial manager with HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) I would be tempted to run some "£10 singles" to London. Against that is the question of whether there really is that much demand to reasonably fill HS2 services AND the spare seats generated on the classic remaining semi-fast trains. I hope they've done their market research well.

In terms of investment, the question must be whether there is a return on a scheme. I remember being taken round Tinsley Yard, complete with its cabin and wagon arresters, all really redundant before it was opened. We can name many more and I remember a Signalman telling me how his grade feared for their job when their box was painted! The marginal improvements of the ECML (East Coast Main Line) have always paid whereas the "big bang" schemes of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) have often left a sour taste. Too often big schemes are driven by headline seeking politicians and work seeking contractors' and consultants' lobbies.

I sincerely hope HS2 is a success but also that the existing Cinderella lines receive proper attention.

OTC
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 14:30:38 by onthecushions » Logged
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 11, 2022, 12:01:19 »

With all the leadership (and PM) contenders getting in a froth about cutting taxes, little has yet been said about how inevitable increases in spending will be funded: public sector pay; defence, including replacing the materiel the UK (United Kingdom) has supplied to Ukraine; and ever-increasing costs of looking after an ageing and ailing population.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 11, 2022, 14:55:06 »

Getting back to the figures actually quoted behind that Telegraph click-bait headline quoted by Marlburian, as is so often the case with on-line press stories (to be fair from all newspapers of all persuasions) when you read the piece it does not support the headline "HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) rail project should be scrapped, voters tell Conservative leadership candidates".

It tells us "
Only 17 per cent of those who backed the Conservatives at the last election think the highly controversial scheme should go ahead, compared with 52 per cent who now oppose it.

It doesn't say how many of the others polled opposed it, or (perhaps more importantly for those considering running) how important this issue is compared to reducing tax rates, cutting illegal immigration, the colour of the cover of your next passport or the honesty and integrity of the next leader.

So - how many were polled, and of these, how many supported the Conservatives at the last election?

A survey of 1,500 people by Redfield and Wilton - 518 of whom voted Tory in 2019

There's nothing to say how the remaining 982 others responded to the question. So it just confirms that of 1500 polled, 269 were voters who voted Conservative last time around and who "opposed it" or said "it should not go ahead" (two different questions - which was it?).

As mentioned above, the so-called red wall voters probably feel let down by the empty slogan that has been "levelling up", so there's more than one message a leadership challenger might be thinking about giving.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: