I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:20:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 393912 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: July 12, 2022, 06:47:53 »

A clearer and perhaps less ambiguous question is the one posed by YouGov over the last few years;

"Do you support or oppose plans to build a new High Speed rail line linking London, Birmingham and Manchester?"

The figure for those who indicate support has generally been around 25% for several years now.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 12, 2022, 09:58:05 »

I think the yougov pills are fairly indicative.

As well as around 25% support, if you factor in the ‘don’t know’ and the ‘don’t cares’ you get to around two thirds either supporting or not sure, with one third against.

In other words, opinions are fairly evenly split.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 12, 2022, 10:14:52 »

I think the yougov pills are fairly indicative.

As well as around 25% support, if you factor in the ‘don’t know’ and the ‘don’t cares’ you get to around two thirds either supporting or not sure, with one third against.

In other words, opinions are fairly evenly split.

That is one interpretation in order to suit a narrative,  yes.

The next time I phone Mrs TG late at night to ask her if she minds if I have "just one more pint" and she tells me she doesn't know and doesn't care, I will be sure to interpret that as tacit approval!  Smiley
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 12, 2022, 10:36:36 »

If one asks a large population what their view is about a matter that they know little about and which will affect only a minority, one will get a perfect, statistically significant result which of course is perfectly meaningless.

If you asked a railway General Manager accountable to a Board of Directors whose access to funds is limited only to commercial loans whether a scheme is advisable or viable, then you would have a meaningful answer.

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 12, 2022, 10:58:44 »

I thought it was worth fleshing out your post which only mentioned the 25% support part.  In the interest of balance I'll point out you could equally say three quarters are against or don't know/care with a quarter supporting it, and provide a link to the survey so everyone can interpret the data to suit whatever narrative they like, be it vehemently against like yourself, or generally in favour (but with significant reservations) like myself:  https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/support-for-high-speed-rail-hs2

The next time I phone Mrs TG late at night to ask her if she minds if I have "just one more pint" and she tells me she doesn't know and doesn't care, I will be sure to interpret that as tacit approval!  Smiley

As any self respecting man should following the famous Men Behaving Badly episode.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAM49SAlsI

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 12, 2022, 13:49:38 »

I thought it was worth fleshing out your post which only mentioned the 25% support part.  In the interest of balance I'll point out you could equally say three quarters are against or don't know/care with a quarter supporting it, and provide a link to the survey so everyone can interpret the data to suit whatever narrative they like, be it vehemently against like yourself, or generally in favour (but with significant reservations) like myself:  https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/support-for-high-speed-rail-hs2

As any self respecting man should following the famous Men Behaving Badly episode.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAM49SAlsI

......ironically, I too would probably end up being unpopular, overdue & over budget in that scenario, quite possibly with some unpleasant environmental consequences too!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 12, 2022, 14:59:12 »

I thought it was worth fleshing out your post which only mentioned the 25% support part.  In the interest of balance I'll point out you could equally say three quarters are against or don't know/care with a quarter supporting it, and provide a link to the survey so everyone can interpret the data to suit whatever narrative they like, be it vehemently against like yourself, or generally in favour (but with significant reservations) like myself

Thanks II.

It looks like the correct clickbait headline should be "Substantial decline in opposition to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) to Birmingham. Manchester and Leeds over last two years"!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 13, 2022, 23:10:05 »

Interesting. 

I have the opposite opinion in that the business market is now very repressed and unlikely to recover to any great degree, and leisure travellers will want competitive pricing or they'll go by air or slower train. 

Or car. Me paying £250 or so for a return ticket to Lincolnshire on the three days annually when I have to visit the office makes sense when it's just me (and on expenses). In the event of me taking my wife and a couple of grandchildren, the car would offer significant enough cost benefit to overcome the faff of such a long drive.

The positives of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) apart from building rail infrastructure that will be around in 200 and more years.

It is employing a lot of people not only those involve in the actual construction but the supply chain many of those are British and the trains are likely to built here.
It is training a lot of Apprentices and Graduate Engineers.

We in the UK (United Kingdom), or at least our politicians are very short sighted they cannot think any further than the next election.  With the current melee to be the next PM tax cuts are the weapon of choice for most of the combatants which some will offer HS2 as a way to fund the cut in tax

Exactly. We hear enough about decisions made 60 years ago to scrap railways, and how things would have been better if we knew then what we know now, and had left well alone. Scrapping HS2 or bits of it would lead to exactly the same comments another 20-30 years down the line, even if, unlike the lines subjected to the Beeching cuts, it wasn't ever built. It would be a huge waste of a lot of money spent on planning those bits that have yet to see a shovel, and would leave the fate of everywhere the line was supposed to have gone through in limbo. Nothing else could be built there until someone says it is never going to happen, and settlements will be blighted like those in the path of Heathrow's putative third runway.

What the politicians are saying about spending and tax in the present war between the right wing of the Conservative party and the extreme right wing of the Conservative party is so much flim-flam, aimed only at sounded sufficiently Tory to gain the necessary majority among the 200,000 party members with a say in the matter. Once the successful candidate has made the victory speech and arranged for 10 Downing Street to be redecorated, he or she will be able to find that the previous Labour administration spent too much for the promised cuts to be made. I haven't heard HS2 mentioned in the various offers of policy.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 23:24:11 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 14, 2022, 07:18:43 »

I don't buy the "well we've gone this far and spent this much so we might as well finish it" argument - it does smack a little of desperation.

Taking a step back, objectively perhaps it's time for the Government and other stakeholders to take a timeout and reassess the whole project taking into account the fall off in demand for business travel post COVID and all other factors (cost, benefit/cost ratio including economic factors etc) - no-one could have anticipated this a few years ago, and the rolling stone of new working practices is only likely to gather pace.

Bits and pieces are being chopped off/descoped/rescoped/downgraded at the moment and maybe it would be better to take some time out to consider its future in the round.

Maybe it needs to change/be rescoped but surely that is better done on a holistic basis rather than staggering along based on assumptions that no longer apply with occasional limb being lopped off?

If £100+ billion (and rising) is to spent, surely it's best and incumbent to ensure that it's spent wisely for the nation as a whole?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 07:38:51 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 14, 2022, 09:28:22 »

When you say ‘take a timeout’ what do you mean?

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 14, 2022, 18:45:45 »

When you say ‘take a timeout’ what do you mean?

Hopefully not the Portishead standard "Let's put this off for yet another 6 months, then find out we still need it but the price has gone up 20%, although it's someone else's problem because I'm not going to be Transport Secretary by then". Infrastructure projects should never be decided like that, but unfortunately often are.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 14, 2022, 19:42:10 »

I don't buy the "well we've gone this far and spent this much so we might as well finish it" argument - it does smack a little of desperation.

The economics quite clearly supports this approach.

If you stop the project you don't get any of the money spent back and you get no benefits.

So the economic choice is to spend the rest of the money and get all of the benefits or stop and get none. So provided the cost hasn't escalated more than you have spent the Benefit Cost Ratio (BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio)) has got better.

So lets take a hypothetical example.

If the original cost was going to be £100 and benefits were going to be £200.  BCR = 2

If at the time when £30 has been spent someone looks at whether to cancel the project.

The estimated cost is now £105, but £30 has been spent and is now lost so the cost to completion is £75. 

If £75 is spent then £200 benefits still accrue so the BCR of continuing is now 2.67! 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 14, 2022, 20:46:55 »

Not to mention the enormous cost of pausing construction and planning, stopping the supply chain, potentially losing thousands of skilled workers, whilst another detailed review is undertaken which might come to the same conclusions anyway.  Then having to restart it all, pushing costs up further, adding delay, risking contracts already signed etc.

Given how far it’s got it’s an absolute no-brainer to continue IMHO (in my humble opinion).  And I like the idea of the recently suggested Newark connection to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to best recover from the partial cancellation of Phase 2 as a result of the Integrated Rail Plan last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61274952.amp

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 15, 2022, 10:12:59 »

Not to mention the enormous cost of pausing construction and planning, stopping the supply chain, potentially losing thousands of skilled workers, whilst another detailed review is undertaken which might come to the same conclusions anyway.  Then having to restart it all, pushing costs up further, adding delay, risking contracts already signed etc.

Given how far it’s got it’s an absolute no-brainer to continue IMHO (in my humble opinion).  And I like the idea of the recently suggested Newark connection to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to best recover from the partial cancellation of Phase 2 as a result of the Integrated Rail Plan last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61274952.amp

Again, I agree. HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is contentious, like nuclear power stations, gas and oil wells, new roads, and practically any infrastructure project costing more than a tenner. I am not saying press on at all costs in every case, because sometimes circumstances change. Much had been spent on the Grand Western Canal to connect Atlantic to Channel, but it was wisely cancelled with only a short section completed when the railways suddenly wrecked the market, as an example. With HS2, things haven't changed since the original scheme was developed, and it will be in service for centuries, or until matter teleportation arrives, whichever comes first. Opponents may seize upon the nosedive in numbers at the outset of Covid, but have been silent about the upturn other than to complain that there aren't enough trains and they are always full.

Get on with it, including the eastern part, and stop the cheese paring. Build the connection to WCML (West Coast Main Line), one way or another, because it is a very good idea, will help Scotland gain benefit from the scheme, and was only stopped because of politics. The proposed changes at Manchester Piccadilly, removing the through station and having trains reversing and a shuttle bus to airport services, show how short-term financial worries can spoil a grand idea. There, the big issue is that the limitations imposed on the high-speed line will become obvious once operations commence, and the underground through station will have to be built anyway, but at a much higher cost.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 30, 2022, 11:54:49 »

In the following years report (thanks to eightonedee for drawing our attention to it in the East West Rail thread) the three aspects of HS2 have all improved their 'likelihood of achieving its aims and objectives':

* HS2 Phase 2b was RED last year for 'Successful delivery of the project appears to be unachievable' and is now AMBER for 'Successful delivery appears feasible but significant issues already exist, requiring management attention'.

* HS2 Phase 1 was AMBER/RED last year for 'Successful delivery of the project is in doubt, with major risks or issues apparent in a number of key areas' and is now AMBER for 'Successful delivery appears feasible but significant issues already exist, requiring management attention'.

* HS2 Phase 2a was AMBER last year for 'Successful delivery appears feasible but significant issues already exist, requiring management attention' and is now GREEN for 'Successful delivery of the project on time, budget and quality appears highly likely and there are no major outstanding issues that at this stage appear to threaten delivery significantly'.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1092181/IPA_AR2022.pdf

Phase 2b's scope has been altered significantly since the two reports, though it looks like data was submitted in March, so that's before the Golborne Link section was removed. 

Perhaps they'll all be green next year, or perhaps they'll all be crimson.  Either way, it's difficult to put too much confidence behind a report with Rees-Mogg grinning at you on the first page!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: