I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:30:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 393930 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 21:34:45 »

The government has made the demise of domestic air travel an explicit policy target for the first time by aiming to replace short-haul flights with a new 250mph high-speed rail network.

The transport secretary, Lord Adonis, said switching 46 million domestic air passengers a year to a multibillion-pound north-south rail line was "manifestly in the public interest". Marking a government shift against aviation, Lord Adonis added that rail journeys should be preferred to plane trips.

Start of a series of three days worth of articles in ...

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 21:43:10 »

I'm getting to like Lord Adonis more and more

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 21:46:32 »

250 mph network?Huh!!!!! One or two high speed lines may happen, but 250mph? Never.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 21:50:05 »

I'm getting to like Lord Adonis more and more
Me too. A politician who actually speaks sense not spin and knows what he's talking about. Shame he probably only has a few months left in the job. If the Tories get in they could do a lot worse by asking him to stay on. Can't see that happening sadly  Sad Job will probably be given to someone who hasn't the foggiest about transport and couldn't careless about it hoping one day for a bigger promotion within the cabinet.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 22:16:31 »

It will be a great pity if the result of (F)GW (Great Western) Electrification limits our line to 125/140 mph, rather than the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) performance that Brunel allowed for.

Perhaps we should be "First".

OTC
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 22:28:26 »

It will be a great pity if the result of (F)GW (Great Western) Electrification limits our line to 125/140 mph, rather than the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) performance that Brunel allowed for.

OTC

too right, how fast would we be going today if we were still on 7ft gauge?

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 21:35:46 »

We don't need 250 mph, more lines capable of 125 will do!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 21:44:50 »

OTC

I know Brunel was far sighted, but I think even he might have been struggled to visualise a TGV. The problem with the existing network is that it is shared with all sorts of other trains, doing all sorts of other speeds. Coal MGRs to Didcot don't mix that well with 125mph trains now. Anything faster and you would have a serious problem.

So of course we need proper LGVs (Large Goods Vehicle).
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 22:15:40 »

IF we do go along with this I sincerely hope that it's engineered correctly and the a significant proportion of the route is FOUR tracked, so that ultra express services, I suggest that there is at least one non stopper Glasgow - London per day, express services say stopping Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle can run alongside those stopping at other stations en route. This will also allow limited use of the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) by other services too.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 22:19:00 »

The problem with the uk is the fact that the major citites are too close together to sustain any worthwile high speed running.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 22:57:59 »

Hence my engineering comment,

A range of services

Ultra
Glasgow > Heathrow > London

Very Fast
Glasgow > Newcastle > Leeds > Heathrow > London
Glasgow > Manchester > Heathrow > London
Glasgow > Birmingham > Heathrow > London

Fast
Glasgow > Newcastle > Leeds > Manchester > Birmingham > Heathrow > London

Spur
HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) Services using the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) line then onto Classic tracks.

Express
Stopper at other LGV stations.

Running non stop gets the speed advantage thats lacking because of the Geography, hence the need for many four track sections.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 23:41:09 »

It is a great shame that no mention is made of Bristol, Cardiff or Plymouth in these plans.

Whilst I accept that Bristol/Cardiff are to close to truly benefit from a high-speed network, dramatically increasing track capacity from Bristol to London, particularly Reading on would allow for many more trains, and arguably some express trains that can do 140mph from Cardiff/Bristol direct to London.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:48 »

IF we do go along with this I sincerely hope that it's engineered correctly and the a significant proportion of the route is FOUR tracked, so that ultra express services, I suggest that there is at least one non stopper Glasgow - London per day, express services say stopping Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle can run alongside those stopping at other stations en route. This will also allow limited use of the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) by other services too.

Certaimly 4 trcks would be good idea definitely south of Manchester,but it would be posssible to share 2 tracks North of there provided the intermediate staions were four tracked.

This is way the Japenese bullet trains operate, I've heard talks where people say if you on a train with more stops you pull into a station and < 2 minutes later a fast pases on the avoiding line. But the Japenese seem to run their to 30 second timngs.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:07 »

The problem with the uk is the fact that the major citites are too close together to sustain any worthwile high speed running.

Well, no-one appears to have told the Japanese, another small island nation, where some Shinkansen stations are as little as 20 miles apart. As eightf says, there are varied calling patterns, with fasts passing stoppers, some on short commuter runs, no different to Class 395s in among Eurostars on High Speed 1.

Tokyo-Osaka, the original line, is 515km (320 miles) long, with 15 intermediate stations. London to Edinburgh is just under 400 miles on the ECML (East Coast Main Line).

But I suppose they're just strange foreigners, who don't know what they're doing, like all the other countries who have built HSLs while we have sat on our backsides.

I don't think it was a coincidence that last autumn pretty much the first thing Lord Adonis did as rail minister was to go on a fact-finding trip to Japan.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 06:23:12 »

Nice to see yesterday's Daily Telegraph where their leader commented on keeping Lord Adonis on as transport secretary after the next election being a good idea:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/5979413/High-speed-derailment.html

If Lord Adonis, rather than John Prescott, had been in charge of transport when Labour took power, with the money and mandate to do great things, who knows what might have happened? Indeed, if David Cameron wants to give his own transport plans real credibility, he should think laterally, and find a place for Lord Adonis in a Tory government.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: