Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:23:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New rail link for Maidenhead to High Wycombe  (Read 11558 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2009, 20:23:03 »

In this weeks http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/article-12337-comment-new-rail-link-for-maidenhead-to-high-wycombe/ Maidenhead Advertiser "Plans for a rail connection linking Maidenhead to High Wycombe have been revealed by the Royal Borough" in the article in the paper the Councilor reckons it could be up and running in 4 years  Roll Eyes They have been talking to the High Wycombe Society who have been a long campaigners for the reopening.

Be interesting to see if this has any legs to run with, the biggest stumbling block will be ^

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 00:11:53 »

I take it they mean, the project will be up and running in 4 years. Huh Shocked

This country cannot consult, plan, construct a railway in 4 years! Roll Eyes Cheesy

A question: won't more platform and track space be needed at High Wycombe?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:20:10 »

I take it they mean, the project will be up and running in 4 years. Huh Shocked

This country cannot consult, plan, construct a railway in 4 years! Roll Eyes Cheesy

A question: won't more platform and track space be needed at High Wycombe?

Not withstanding reinstating the rail line over a busy main road at the Bourne End 'terminus'

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:09:01 »

It's interesting it's a couple of Tory councillors proposing the scheme.

Note also it's said it will be a light rail scheme like the DLR (Docklands Light Railway)!

Now one of the main reasons for reinstaing the link in my opinion is to provide a South to North heavy rail link in Bucks. ie Slough/Maidenhead to Milton Keynes via Wycombe Aylesbury Blectchley with connections to proposed  East West line.

Also the Bourne End and Cookham travellers like their through trains to Padd.

Now hears a challenge, what about tram trains ie dual voltage trams 25Kv/600Kv this would give the possibility of street running in Wycombe and possibly Bourne End. There's no reason why they couldn't serve Padd as well. After all the Karlseruhe trams serve Heilbronn over heavy rail and a bit further East.

But as I said over the Bradford North curve DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) lacks vision.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 16:01:42 »

In my opinion it should be a standard heavy line.

How many lines have we lost thanks to the "light rail brigade".

The Midlands Metro (trams on the ex GWR (Great Western Railway) route from B'ham Snow Hill to Wolverhampton) ended any hope of relieving the pressure on the current "Midland" two track bottleneck.

They're at it again: if line 2 ever gets built, it will destroy a useful B'ham bypass line, preventing any Worcester - Stourbridge - Dudley - Walsall journeys that could take the pressure off New Street and the lines leading into it.

As has been said above, building a heavy line allows new journey opportunities, tying in with proposed extensions to Chiltern's network and the East West line.

Tramlines are fine for inner cities. But are SLOW on longer routes.

I hope they see sense...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 16:07:55 »

I'm assuming this was a question. My answer is; Dunno, but you only provide one example. Are there lots more? And what exactly is wrong with light rail/trams? All the UKs (United Kingdom) current tram systems are sucessful. I say let's have more.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 16:36:40 »

Tramlines are fine for inner cities. But are SLOW on longer routes.

I'm assuming this was a question. My answer is; Dunno, but you only provide one example. Are there lots more? And what exactly is wrong with light rail/trams? All the UKs (United Kingdom) current tram systems are sucessful. I say let's have more.

West Midlands as mentioned, Which is why the Wrexham and Shrewsbury trains take such circuituous routes across Birmingham.

Manchester Metro the Bury and Altringham branches and now part of the Oldham line and possibly Stockport Tiviot Dale.

Nottingham line shares with Robin Hood line to the North and makes that single track.

Croydon uses Wimbledon - West Croydon and part of the Addiscombe branch and the link to Selsdon.

Tyne and Wear Metro uses old heavy rail lines as does the DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

Sheffield is separate which means that it can't link with the Penistone Tram trains at Meadowhall. Which defeats the objective of tram trains which is to share with heavy rail an extension of an urban street tramway.

I would disagree that trams are slow it's quite exciting plunging into the old tunnell on the Selsdon line at 50 mph. With relativly short distances between stops, quarter to half mile, then a tram can hold it's own against a heavy rail EMU (Electric Multiple Unit).

Full parallel in a Tatra down the middle of a mainroad in Dresden is quite interesting.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 16:44:29 »

Thanks to the Midland Metro:

*W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) have to take circular route;

*Chiltern can't serve West Bromwich, Wednesbury, and Wolverhampton (and beyond);

*No chance of LM (London Midland - recent franchise) Shrewsbuy trains being switched to Snow Hill;

*No chance of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Aber and Chester trains being switched to Snow Hill.

And the Midland Metro has not been successful. (look at Wiki page) Why? Because people take the quicker 15 minute journey between the cities, or catch the 2 tph EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) from the existing heavy rail stations. (with their free parking) The tram takes over twice as long.

A heavy rail Wycombe link would provide faster journeys than a "tram train".
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 18:34:15 »

Of course I would like to see heavy rail but this is expensive we struggle in the UK (United Kingdom) with dual light heavy systems therefore in my view the most practical rail system between Marlow via Bourne End and Wycome would be a light rail tram system. Bourne platforms rebuilt for a across platform inter change.  This would allow a half hourly Maidenhead Bourne End or better service.  The tram system could take advantage of what remains of the alignment between Bourne End and High Wycombe but also allowing street running where this is not possible.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:36:03 »

This is a great idea, but I don't think the council realise how expensive it would be.

I was at Bourne End last night and some serious demolition work would need to be done to get the line 200m beyond the current buffers onto the old formation. Some serious work would also be required to replace the bridge over the A40 going into Wycombe. Also by the time any line was complete, Crossrail will be at Maidenhead making paths east towards London rarer then hen's teeth. Also more services will be using the Chiltern line (half hourly Oxford serives) so there wouldn't be the capacity to run through trains as mentioned earlier. If this was to happen light rail would be a sensible comprimise I believe.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 19:10:53 »

In this weeks Maidenhead Advertiser an article ( I can not find an online version) states that the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead council are to write to the Dept. for Transport and ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) about the potential for reestablishing the link between Maidenhead and High Wycombe.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 19:43:17 »

I think this may be what you were looking for, Electric train?

Borough lobbies government to support rail link reinstatement

The Royal Borough is to lobby central Government to support the idea for a rail link between Maidenhead and High Wycombe.

The link was closed more than 40 years ago, and the council now needs to come up with a business case for the idea.

If relaunched, the link would run from the station in Maidenhead, through Cookham, Bourne End, Wooburn Green and Loudwater, with services every 10 minutes.

Read more in this week's Advertiser.

C.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: